Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

george conklin wrote:
> "bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Amy Blankenship wrote:
>>> "bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I think you're operating under two fundamental misconceptions:
>>>
>>> 1) That civilizations never reach a point where population stops
>>> increasing
>>> 2) That children never feed their parents
>>>
>>> If you look at the most developed nations, population growth through
>>> reproduction is in the near-zero to negative range, depending on which
>>> country you're talking about. This implies that as more and more nations
>>> become industrialized, population will level off or even decline. The
>>> reason we have such extreme population growth now is that we have better
>>> education, health care, food production, and food distribution. So
>>> mortality is down.

>> Way off base for the US.

> You are very ignorant. No native-born group reproduces itself in the USA.
> Immigration causes population growth here, but they are only meeting a
> demand for labor that a insufficient birth rate from native-born groups
> fails to provide.

Hah,
I do have 2 cents to add to this one. I went into a Taco Bell not too
long ago and couldn't order what I wanted without a whole lot of sign
language. It seems they were so busy hiring Mexicans who didn't speak
English they forgot to hire one to take the orders from the main
clientèle, which just happened to be whiteys, like me. Some people got
frustrated and walked out but I hung in there and got my 2 Green bean
burritos, the only thing I ever order there. It felt like forever trying
to get them to understand even something that simple.
Yeah, we really need them.
Bill Baka

"Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:15:58 -0700, Amy Blankenship
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> "bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Way off base for the US. We get one pregnant Mexican having a baby here
>>> and the whole illegal family stays, so that one 'Citizen' gives a whole
>>> pre-existing family the right to stay here. Mortality due to disease is
>>> down from what it used to be, but then people in non-developed countries
>>> just have more children who then starve and of course, we send them
>>> food.
>>> Us Natural born Americans don't have that many children because we are
>>> too
>>> busy working to survive the high cost of living to support all the
>>> immigrants who we have to support through social programs. China and
>>> India
>>> are both over 1 Billion and will keep going as long as we keep bleeding
>>> money to them, which will eventually make us the "EX" superpower.

>> First, you're talking about population growth in the US through
>> immigration
>> vs reproduction, which is exactly what I said.
>>
>> China and India are growing, but their populations are stabilizing as
>> they
>> need to educate themselves more to be able to fill the tech jobs that are
>> being outsourced there.

>>> You don't read much, do you? The reason they try to reproduce so much is
>>> that there is a high rate of infant death caused by the birth of a new
>>> child. Once there is a new baby to breast feed the next older one is
>>> expected to survive on adult food and often dies from malnutrition.
>>> Our answer to this? Throw money at them or "Adopt" a child in a far away
>>> land, thus making it our problem.

>> You don't read *well* do you? I did way they reproduce more in part
>> because
>> of higher infant and child mortality.

>>> Uh-huh!

>>> You really do believe the view through your rose colored glasses, don't
>>> you.

>> I just call it the way I see it. Do you really think that the fact that
>> people in developed nations don't even reproduce enough to sustain their
>> own
>> numbers isn't a natural result of the way nations come to be developed?
>>

> Developed nations like the U.S., Australia, France or the United Kingdom?
> All have positive population growth rates. Even Japan which is often cited
> as an example of a stable population has a positive population growth
> rate. The few Western nations that have negative growth rates are mostly
> former Soviet Block nations which have low life expectancy due to a
> variety of reasons. That includes Germany which has inherited Soviet Block
> East Germany. Check your facts.

Check YOUR facts. How much is due to reproduction, how much to immigration?

"Amy Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I just call it the way I see it. Do you really think that the fact that
> people in developed nations don't even reproduce enough to sustain their
> own numbers isn't a natural result of the way nations come to be
> developed?

The reproductions rate don't seem to be hurting either China or India as
they speed toward even more development.

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 12:14:11 -0700, Amy Blankenship
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:15:58 -0700, Amy Blankenship
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> "bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> First, you're talking about population growth in the US through
>>> immigration
>>> vs reproduction, which is exactly what I said.
>>>
>>> China and India are growing, but their populations are stabilizing as
>>> they
>>> need to educate themselves more to be able to fill the tech jobs that
>>> are
>>> being outsourced there.

>>> You don't read *well* do you? I did way they reproduce more in part
>>> because
>>> of higher infant and child mortality.

>>> I just call it the way I see it. Do you really think that the fact
>>> that
>>> people in developed nations don't even reproduce enough to sustain
>>> their
>>> own
>>> numbers isn't a natural result of the way nations come to be developed?
>>>

>> Developed nations like the U.S., Australia, France or the United
>> Kingdom?
>> All have positive population growth rates. Even Japan which is often
>> cited
>> as an example of a stable population has a positive population growth
>> rate. The few Western nations that have negative growth rates are mostly
>> former Soviet Block nations which have low life expectancy due to a
>> variety of reasons. That includes Germany which has inherited Soviet
>> Block
>> East Germany. Check your facts.

> Check YOUR facts. How much is due to reproduction, how much to
> immigration?

The U.S. has a birth rate of 14.14 births/1,000 population vs a death rate
of 8.26 deaths/1,000 population. People born in the U.S., not immigration.
Similarly the other developed nations cited have simplely more people
being born in them then dying in them. This info is readily available if
you would bother to look and not blindly repeat anti-immigrant propaganda.
Can you cite a few non former Soviet Block developed nations that have
more deaths then births?

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"We must alert and organise the world's people to pressure world leaders
to take specific steps to solve the two root causes of our environmental
crises - exploding population growth and wasteful consumption of
irreplaceable resources. Overconsumption and overpopulation underlie every
environmental problem we face today."
Jacques-Yves Cousteau

> On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 12:14:11 -0700, Amy Blankenship
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> Developed nations like the U.S., Australia, France or the United
>>> Kingdom?
>>> All have positive population growth rates. Even Japan which is often
>>> cited
>>> as an example of a stable population has a positive population growth
>>> rate. The few Western nations that have negative growth rates are mostly
>>> former Soviet Block nations which have low life expectancy due to a
>>> variety of reasons. That includes Germany which has inherited Soviet
>>> Block
>>> East Germany. Check your facts.

>> Check YOUR facts. How much is due to reproduction, how much to
>> immigration?
>>

> The U.S. has a birth rate of 14.14 births/1,000 population vs a death rate
> of 8.26 deaths/1,000 population. People born in the U.S., not immigration.
> Similarly the other developed nations cited have simplely more people
> being born in them then dying in them. This info is readily available if
> you would bother to look and not blindly repeat anti-immigrant propaganda.
> Can you cite a few non former Soviet Block developed nations that have
> more deaths then births?

First, saying that population in industrialized nations is due more to
immigration than to reproduction is neither for or anti immigration. It's
just a statement with no value judgments. I happen to be married to an
immigrant and we've discussed immigrating somewhere else ourselves later in
life.

Second, according to wikipedia, "In industrialized countries with low child
mortality, sub-replacement fertility is below approximately 2.1 children per
woman's life time. 2.1 children per woman includes 2 children to replace the
parents, with one-tenth of a child extra to make up for the mortality of
children who do not reach the age of 15, which is the defined age when the
fertility rate is calculated."
"While almost all of the developed world, and many other nations, have seen
plummeting fertility rates over the last twenty-years, the United States'
rates have remained stable and even slightly increased. Note however that
some European countries have gradually increasing fertility rates, most
notably France, whose fertility rate increased to 1.85 in 2005. Nevertheless
even France remains below the 2.09 children/woman fertility rate of the US."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-replacement_fertility

The difference is that you're looking at the balance of births and deaths
*today*, where a lot of different factors come into play like a large group
of people born in the 40's and 50's that happen to be healthy and aging.
Replacement population looks at how many children a couple will actually
produce over the course of their lifetime with the logical expectation that
they both will die at some point. So that ultimately to permanently replace
themselves they have to each produce at least one child. If somehow
previous generations were to become immortal we'd need to look at
replacement population differently.

Hope this clarifies;

Amy

"Amy Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:15:58 -0700, Amy Blankenship
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> "bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> First, you're talking about population growth in the US through
>>> immigration
>>> vs reproduction, which is exactly what I said.
>>>
>>> China and India are growing, but their populations are stabilizing as
>>> they
>>> need to educate themselves more to be able to fill the tech jobs that
>>> are
>>> being outsourced there.

>>> You don't read *well* do you? I did way they reproduce more in part
>>> because
>>> of higher infant and child mortality.

>>> I just call it the way I see it. Do you really think that the fact that
>>> people in developed nations don't even reproduce enough to sustain their
>>> own
>>> numbers isn't a natural result of the way nations come to be developed?
>>>

>> Developed nations like the U.S., Australia, France or the United Kingdom?
>> All have positive population growth rates. Even Japan which is often
>> cited as an example of a stable population has a positive population
>> growth rate. The few Western nations that have negative growth rates are
>> mostly former Soviet Block nations which have low life expectancy due to
>> a variety of reasons. That includes Germany which has inherited Soviet
>> Block East Germany. Check your facts.

> Check YOUR facts. How much is due to reproduction, how much to
> immigration?

The UN has published all the necessary data on this, especially the Total
Fertility Rates, TFRs. They show how many children a woman will have in her
reproductive years. 63 nations are now below 2.2 (some say 2.1), which is
zero population growth or less. Why the extra .1? Infertility and
mortality.

"bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> george conklin wrote:
>> "bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Way off base for the US.

>> You are very ignorant. No native-born group reproduces itself in the
>> USA. Immigration causes population growth here, but they are only meeting
>> a demand for labor that a insufficient birth rate from native-born groups
>> fails to provide.

> Hah,
> I do have 2 cents to add to this one. I went into a Taco Bell not too long
> ago and couldn't order what I wanted without a whole lot of sign language.

Taco Bell does demography now? How interesting.

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:29:33 -0700, Amy Blankenship
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

> Nevertheless
> even France remains below the 2.09 children/woman fertility rate of the
> US."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-replacement_fertility
>
> The difference is that you're looking at the balance of births and deaths
> *today*, where a lot of different factors come into play like a large
> group
> of people born in the 40's and 50's that happen to be healthy and aging.
> Replacement population looks at how many children a couple will actually
> produce over the course of their lifetime with the logical expectation
> that
> they both will die at some point. So that ultimately to permanently
> replace
> themselves they have to each produce at least one child. If somehow
> previous generations were to become immortal we'd need to look at

What is it about "gradually increasing fertility rates" that you do not
understand? The population of the U.S. and most non former Soviet Block
developed nations are increasing. Not due to immigration but to native
births. In the U.S. birth rate is 14.14 births/1,000 population vs a death
rate of 8.26 deaths/1,000 population for a surplus of 5.88 extra
people/1,000 population. The net migration rate is only 3.18
migrants/1,000 population. Tell me how "population in industrialized
nations is due more to immigration than to reproduction" makes any sense?
The world population is increasing. Are you going to blame that on
immigration? It is expected that the world population will level off at
around 9 billion by 2050 or so. The problem is the world can't support 9
billion people. It can't support the current 6 billion for long. Forget
little things like running out of oil. We are running out of fresh water
and top soil. If you think the wars being fought over oil are bad, wait
until we start fighting over water.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"They're making people every day, but they ain't makin' any more dirt."
Will Rogers

> What is it about "gradually increasing fertility rates" that you do not
> understand?

What YOU do not understand is that the future growth of populations is
measured by the Total Fertility Rates, or TFRs. These are calculated by the
census for nations and they say that 63 nations are no longer reproducing
themselves. I suggest you check out the population pyramid projections
which the census makes available, both for the USA and most other nations of
the world. Stop simply guessing.

> [...]

>> produce over the course of their lifetime with the logical expectation
>> that
>> they both will die at some point. So that ultimately to permanently
>> replace
>> themselves they have to each produce at least one child. If somehow
>> previous generations were to become immortal we'd need to look at
>> replacement population differently.
>>
>> Hope this clarifies;
>>
>> Amy
>>

> What is it about "gradually increasing fertility rates" that you do not
> understand? The population of the U.S. and most non former Soviet Block
> developed nations are increasing. Not due to immigration but to native
> births. In the U.S. birth rate is 14.14 births/1,000 population vs a death
> rate of 8.26 deaths/1,000 population for a surplus of 5.88 extra

I'm not going to address this point, because Mr. Conklin has already done
it. Continuing to throw facts at someone who either can't comprehend them
or who is determined never to allow his understanding to change is a waste
of time.

>The net migration rate is only 3.18 migrants/1,000 population. Tell me how
>"population in industrialized nations is due more to immigration than to
>reproduction" makes any sense? The world population is increasing. Are you
>going to blame that on immigration?

"World Population". "Population in Developed Nations." Are you sincerely
NOT able to comprehend that these are two different things?

>It is expected that the world population will level off at around 9
>billion by 2050 or so. The problem is the world can't support 9 billion
>people.

I totally disagree with you. I also believe that at some point world
population will level off and begin to decline. The fastest way to acheive
this is through education, in my opinion.

> It can't support the current 6 billion for long. Forget little things
> like running out of oil. We are running out of fresh water and top soil.

I do have a problem with the way that we treat potable water. The fact that
we think it's acceptable to **** in it bothers me to no end. But I think it
will be a long time before the general population sees it as a problem...if
it ever happens. However, our water treatment processes are fairly ok, so
I don't think we're going to run out of fresh water before population levels
off.

Top soil, contrary to popular belief, IS a renewable resource. And the
processes for building it are pretty well understood. Unfortunately, they
are incompatible with large agribusiness AND low-level subsistence farming
(by this I mean when a farmer lacks the area to rotate crops and access to
livestock to help fertilize the soil). We also have a severe problem in the
fact that once a human mouth has ever touched a nutrient, it is essentially
lost to the system because of the way we view our own wastes. All that
aside, we are producing more than enough food to feed the world right now.
The problem is distribution, politics, and corruption. And we don't
necessarily use land optimally. There is a lot of land out there that could
be brought into production if needed.

>If you think the wars being fought over oil are bad, wait until we start
>fighting over water.

If you genuinely believe this is a real possibility, you should educate
yourself on issues such as greywater recycling, composting toilets, etc.

Hope this provides some clarity;

Amy

> Way off base for the US. We get one pregnant Mexican having a baby here
> and the whole illegal family stays, so that one 'Citizen' gives a whole
> pre-existing family the right to stay here. Mortality due to disease is
> down from what it used to be, but then people in non-developed countries
> just have more children who then starve and of course, we send them
> food.

Now that is a lame statement.
Most underdevloped countries have the potential to be autonomous
regarding the food... however the dear poisoned "gift" from developed
country, as free or cheap food, prevents any development of a local
agriculture. Who can compete against free food????

By sending food to these countries, our governments are 1)giving
subventions to the farmers 2)usually making a loan to the poor country
3)making sure that the markets of this poor country will remain open for
their goods.

So don't blame your problem on the back of the poors.
Jean

> Hah,
> I do have 2 cents to add to this one. I went into a Taco Bell not too
> long ago and couldn't order what I wanted without a whole lot of sign
> language. It seems they were so busy hiring Mexicans who didn't speak
> English they forgot to hire one to take the orders from the main
> clientèle, which just happened to be whiteys, like me. Some people got
> frustrated and walked out but I hung in there and got my 2 Green bean
> burritos, the only thing I ever order there. It felt like forever trying
> to get them to understand even something that simple.
> Yeah, we really need them.
> Bill Baka

Last time I went in a fast food in the US, the 100% WASP worker could
not understand my order because I had a litle foreign accent... so what
is the difference? At least the mexican one you are talking about is
making an effort to try to understand, unlike that stupid kid that just
didn't care since I was not talking with his very local accent (probably
the only one he heard in all his life).

..... or another time in a fencier restaurant, with some (much) older
friends: I had to have my friend "translating" (from regular english to
local accent english) since the dump WASP waiter could not understand my
orders, even repeated 3 times. When I took my credit card out, he
suddenly understood everything, including "extra last minute orders".
what a pitty.

Jean

> Most of the GMOs that I have read about are modified to withstand a
> particular plant disease or to survive long periods without water, or
> something like that. There is a need or some foods might not be
> available at all.

hum, indeed a lot of them are made resistent to pesticides (not to the
insects!)... the first one in my mind is the Round Up Ready corn by
Monsanto..

> Bush is the biggest enemy of research right now, since that fool thinks
> stem cell research is immoral. Good thing that after November he will be
> a real "Lame duck". Worst president in my lifetime, except maybe Truman.
> Bill Baka

agreed! ... isnt' he the biggest enemy of almost everything?

"Jean H." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Most of the GMOs that I have read about are modified to withstand a
> > particular plant disease or to survive long periods without water, or
> > something like that. There is a need or some foods might not be
> > available at all.

> hum, indeed a lot of them are made resistent to pesticides (not to the
> insects!)... the first one in my mind is the Round Up Ready corn by
> Monsanto..
>
> > Bush is the biggest enemy of research right now, since that fool thinks
> > stem cell research is immoral. Good thing that after November he will be
> > a real "Lame duck". Worst president in my lifetime, except maybe Truman.
> > Bill Baka

> agreed! ... isnt' he the biggest enemy of almost everything?

Stem cell research is caught up in theological debates, since the Roman
Catholic Church is against such research too.

You people are frickin insane. First, you ***** if we let them
starve, then you ***** if we don't.

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 04:12:15 -0700, george conklin <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> What is it about "gradually increasing fertility rates" that you do not
>> understand?

> What YOU do not understand is that the future growth of populations is
> measured by the Total Fertility Rates, or TFRs. These are calculated by
> the
> census for nations and they say that 63 nations are no longer reproducing
> themselves. I suggest you check out the population pyramid projections
> which the census makes available, both for the USA and most other
> nations of
> the world. Stop simply guessing.

No guessing needed. The U.S. has a population growth rate of +0.91%.
Australia +0.85%, France +0.35%, United Kingdom +0.28%, Italy +0.04%,
Japan +0.02%. This info is from the wild and crazy guys at the C.I.A. By
the way, the C.I.A. says there are 272 nations which much mean there are
209 nations are reproducing themselves. And then some as the world
population growth rate is +1.14% with a birth rate of 20.05 births/1,000
population and a death rate of 8.67 deaths/1,000 population. Whole lot of
reproducing going on. The counties that have negative growth rates are for
the most part either tiny or not something anyone would inspire to. Like
Russia which has a population growth rate of -0.37% but also an infant
mortality two and half times that of the U.S. and a life expectancy ten
years less. Is Russia your ideal for the future of the world?

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"...democracy cannot survive overpopulation. Human dignity cannot survive
it. Convenience and decency cannot survive it. As you put more and more
people into the world, the value of life not only declines, it disappears.
It doesn't matter if someone dies. The more people there are, the less one
individual matters."
Isaac Asimov

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:43:34 -0700, Amy Blankenship
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:29:33 -0700, Amy Blankenship
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> First, saying that population in industrialized nations is due more to
>>> immigration than to reproduction is neither for or anti immigration.
>>> It's
>>> just a statement with no value judgments. I happen to be married to an
>>> immigrant and we've discussed immigrating somewhere else ourselves
>>> later
>>> in
> [...]
>>> previous generations were to become immortal we'd need to look at
>>> replacement population differently.
>>>
>>> Hope this clarifies;
>>>
>>> Amy
>>>

>> What is it about "gradually increasing fertility rates" that you do not
>> understand? The population of the U.S. and most non former Soviet Block
>> developed nations are increasing. Not due to immigration but to native
>> births. In the U.S. birth rate is 14.14 births/1,000 population vs a
>> death
>> rate of 8.26 deaths/1,000 population for a surplus of 5.88 extra
>> people/1,000 population.

> I'm not going to address this point, because Mr. Conklin has already done
> it. Continuing to throw facts at someone who either can't comprehend
> them
> or who is determined never to allow his understanding to change is a

You seem to not be able to comprehend that the world population is
increasing and will continue to increase in spite of you thing good
thoughts.

>> The net migration rate is only 3.18 migrants/1,000 population. Tell me
>> how
>> "population in industrialized nations is due more to immigration than
>> reproduction" makes any sense? The world population is increasing. Are
>> you
>> going to blame that on immigration?

> "World Population". "Population in Developed Nations." Are you
> sincerely
> NOT able to comprehend that these are two different things?

Can you comprehend that most nations, developed and otherwise continue to
have increasing populations, not due to the boogy man immigration but from
native births?

>> It is expected that the world population will level off at around 9
>> billion by 2050 or so. The problem is the world can't support 9 billion
>> people.

> I totally disagree with you. I also believe that at some point world
> population will level off and begin to decline. The fastest way to
> acheive
> this is through education, in my opinion.

Oh, I believe that the world population with deline. It's called a
Malthusian collapse.\

>> It can't support the current 6 billion for long. Forget little things
>> like running out of oil. We are running out of fresh water and top
>> soil.

> I do have a problem with the way that we treat potable water. The fact
> that
> we think it's acceptable to **** in it bothers me to no end. But I
> think it
> will be a long time before the general population sees it as a
> problem...if
> it ever happens. However, our water treatment processes are fairly ok,
> so
> I don't think we're going to run out of fresh water before population
> levels
> off.

Too late. Already are.

> Top soil, contrary to popular belief, IS a renewable resource. And the
> processes for building it are pretty well understood. Unfortunately,
> they
> are incompatible with large agribusiness AND low-level subsistence
> farming
> (by this I mean when a farmer lacks the area to rotate crops and access
> livestock to help fertilize the soil). We also have a severe problem in
> the
> fact that once a human mouth has ever touched a nutrient, it is
> essentially
> lost to the system because of the way we view our own wastes. All that
> aside, we are producing more than enough food to feed the world right
> now.
> The problem is distribution, politics, and corruption. And we don't
> necessarily use land optimally. There is a lot of land out there that
> could
> be brought into production if needed.
>
>> If you think the wars being fought over oil are bad, wait until we
>> start
>> fighting over water.

> If you genuinely believe this is a real possibility, you should educate
> yourself on issues such as greywater recycling, composting toilets, etc.

Been studying that for decades. Maybe you could study population control.

> Hope this provides some clarity;
>
> Amy

I hope this provides some clarity to the view through your rose colored
glasses.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"The greatest danger to our future is apathy."
Jane Goodall

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:30:31 -0700, Jean H.
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Way off base for the US. We get one pregnant Mexican having a baby here
>> and the whole illegal family stays, so that one 'Citizen' gives a whole
>> pre-existing family the right to stay here. Mortality due to disease is
>> down from what it used to be, but then people in non-developed
>> countries just have more children who then starve and of course, we
>> send them food.

> Now that is a lame statement.
> Most underdevloped countries have the potential to be autonomous
> regarding the food... however the dear poisoned "gift" from developed
> country, as free or cheap food, prevents any development of a local
> agriculture. Who can compete against free food????
>
> By sending food to these countries, our governments are 1)giving
> subventions to the farmers 2)usually making a loan to the poor country
> 3)making sure that the markets of this poor country will remain open for
> their goods.
>
> So don't blame your problem on the back of the poors.
> Jean

They have blame someone.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"It is wrong that people like you should be comfortable and well fed while
all around you people are starving."
Sylvia Pankhurst

"Jean H." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Way off base for the US. We get one pregnant Mexican having a baby here
>> and the whole illegal family stays, so that one 'Citizen' gives a whole
>> pre-existing family the right to stay here. Mortality due to disease is
>> down from what it used to be, but then people in non-developed countries
>> just have more children who then starve and of course, we send them food.

> Now that is a lame statement.
> Most underdevloped countries have the potential to be autonomous regarding
> the food... however the dear poisoned "gift" from developed country, as
> free or cheap food, prevents any development of a local agriculture. Who
> can compete against free food????
>
> By sending food to these countries, our governments are 1)giving
> subventions to the farmers

what are subventions?

"Amy Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jean H." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Way off base for the US. We get one pregnant Mexican having a baby here
>>> and the whole illegal family stays, so that one 'Citizen' gives a whole
>>> pre-existing family the right to stay here. Mortality due to disease is
>>> down from what it used to be, but then people in non-developed countries
>>> just have more children who then starve and of course, we send them
>>> food.

>> Now that is a lame statement.
>> Most underdevloped countries have the potential to be autonomous
>> regarding the food... however the dear poisoned "gift" from developed
>> country, as free or cheap food, prevents any development of a local
>> agriculture. Who can compete against free food????
>>
>> By sending food to these countries, our governments are 1)giving
>> subventions to the farmers

> what are subventions?

http://www.google.com/search?source...GLG,GGLG:2006-10,GGLG:en&q=define:+subvention

Google is your friend.