DIY degreaser

"vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Ok fly then. Vinegar=output from fly's backside.

> What a wonderful misconception!
>

> > In my world, Vinegar = product of secondary fermentation of alchohol.
> > This doesn't involve flies as far as I know.
> >

> Not all vinegars are brewed, some are termed non brewed condiments and are
> products of the petrochemical industry.

Indeed. We make 600 000 tonnes a year of the stuff from methanol and North Sea gas.
--
Simon M.

In news:[email protected],
Simon Mason <[email protected]> typed:
> "vernon levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

>> What a wonderful misconception!
>>

>>> In my world, Vinegar = product of secondary fermentation of
>>> alchohol. This doesn't involve flies as far as I know.
>>>

>> Not all vinegars are brewed, some are termed non brewed condiments
>> and are products of the petrochemical industry.

> Indeed. We make 600 000 tonnes a year of the stuff from methanol and
> North Sea gas. --

But they're sold as non-brewed condiment or listed in ingredients as acetic
acid. Vinegar's got to be brewed. Whether it makes a difference is a moot
point, unless it's cider, wine or balsamic vinegar, but that's the way it
goes.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:48:22 +0100, Danny Colyer
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>> Me, I like to dip my chips in Sauce Tartare, but I'm odd that way.

>Tartare Sauce works for me. A mix of brown sauce and mayonnaise also
>works well.

Or a mixture of brown sauce and vinegar? .... which brings usneatly
back to the Sol'nsosswi'that? conundrum. :)

--
Cheers,
Euan

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:57:46 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> ([email protected])
wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:22:13 +1200, Whingin' Pom
><[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>>Me, I like to dip my chips in Sauce Tartare, but I'm odd that way.

>>Tabasco for me, thanks.

>But that's got no flavour!

It's got plenty of flavour. It's just all chile flavour.:)

> At least use Worcester sauce! (brilliant
>in chip butties).

Lovely stuff, Worcester.
--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:57:17 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message <[email protected]>:
>
>> /Curry/ sauce,
>> especially after it's been simmering atop the stove all evening, now
>> that's nice, Tommy K is on the approved list and so is mayonnaise,
>> but only in Belgium or The Netherlands. Just salt, for preference.

> Me, I like to dip my chips in Sauce Tartare, but I'm odd that way.

Heinz Salad Cream. Lovely.
Tartar Sauce - Good with fish, or even on it's own.
Ketchup - Eugh. Way too sweet, too much sugar.
Mayonnaise - OK, but doesn't actually have much taste or flavour.
Mint Sauce (the type mixed with yoghurt) is also delicious.

Chips always taste best with tangy sauces.

Never had brown sauce, what does it taste like?

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 00:39:52 +0100, "Burning_Ranger"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Never had brown sauce, what does it taste like?

Nectar.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 05:35:13 +0100, vernon levy <[email protected]> wrote:

> > In my world, Vinegar = product of secondary fermentation of alchohol.
> > This doesn't involve flies as far as I know.
> >

> Not all vinegars are brewed, some are termed non brewed condiments and are
> products of the petrochemical industry.

But then they're non brewed condiment, not vinegar. I don't think
you're allowed to sell non brewed condiment as vinegar.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Sun, 11 Jul, Burning_Ranger <[email protected]> wrote:

> Heinz Salad Cream. Lovely.
> Tartar Sauce - Good with fish, or even on it's own.
> Ketchup - Eugh. Way too sweet, too much sugar.
> Mayonnaise - OK, but doesn't actually have much taste or flavour.
> Mint Sauce (the type mixed with yoghurt) is also delicious.
>
> Chips always taste best with tangy sauces.
>
> Never had brown sauce, what does it taste like?

Well, sort of tomato ketchup with all teh sugar and half teh tomatoes
removed and replaced with worcester sauce and extra spices. It's also
got tamarinds in it, which I thought were those little monkeys with
teh orange faces and a contrasting mane.

Pure tanginess, but without any heat. From your description above,
I'd say brown sauce is actually teh chip condiment you've been
searching for (even if you didn't know it). Start with HP (teh
original, and in my opinion best), but there's more variation between
brown sauces than between (say) mayonnaises or tomato ketchups, so you
may settle on some other as your preferred brand.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

paul <[email protected]>typed

> In article <[email protected]>, dkahn400
> @yahoo.co.uk says...
> > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:35:59 +0000 (UTC), paul
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > I have rather taken a liking to balsamic vinegar on large home
> > > fried chips.

> > Bloody yuppie!
> >

> only in my dreams, I've now got children, and can seldom afford to dine
> in the sort of places that introduced me to such decedance <sp?>

> Even so, you should try it, especially with rock salt ;o)

Yebbut you could probably afford a bottle of balsamic on your next
supermarket trip and put it on yer chip shop (or home-fried) chips...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Ian Smith:
> But then they're non brewed condiment, not vinegar. I don't think
> you're allowed to sell non brewed condiment as vinegar.

Not these days you're not, but I grew up believing that brown stuff in the
unlabelled bottle on the counter in the chip shop was vinegar.

d.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> "Burning_Ranger" <[email protected]>typed
>
>> Chips always taste best with tangy sauces.

> Implies they have little initial flavour...

Which they don't.

Ian Smith wrote:
>> Heinz Salad Cream. Lovely.
>> Tartar Sauce - Good with fish, or even on it's own.
>> Ketchup - Eugh. Way too sweet, too much sugar.
>> Mayonnaise - OK, but doesn't actually have much taste or flavour.
>> Mint Sauce (the type mixed with yoghurt) is also delicious.
>>
>> Chips always taste best with tangy sauces.
>>
>> Never had brown sauce, what does it taste like?

> Well, sort of tomato ketchup with all teh sugar and half teh tomatoes
> removed and replaced with worcester sauce and extra spices. It's also
> got tamarinds in it, which I thought were those little monkeys with
> teh orange faces and a contrasting mane.
>
> Pure tanginess, but without any heat. From your description above,
> I'd say brown sauce is actually teh chip condiment you've been
> searching for (even if you didn't know it). Start with HP (teh
> original, and in my opinion best), but there's more variation between
> brown sauces than between (say) mayonnaises or tomato ketchups, so you
> may settle on some other as your preferred brand.

Ta very much. I'll pick up a bottle. Any other good accompaniments to chips?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> paul <[email protected]>typed
>

> > In article <[email protected]>, dkahn400
> > @yahoo.co.uk says...

> > > Bloody yuppie!
> > >

> > only in my dreams, I've now got children, and can seldom afford to dine
> > in the sort of places that introduced me to such decedance <sp?>

> > Even so, you should try it, especially with rock salt ;o)

> Yebbut you could probably afford a bottle of balsamic on your next
> supermarket trip and put it on yer chip shop (or home-fried) chips...

I've already got a bottle of balsamic in the cupboard, along with the
various bottles of wine anc cider vinegars :)
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:49:56 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>"Burning_Ranger" <[email protected]>typed
>
>> Chips always taste best with tangy sauces.

>Implies they have little initial flavour...

There's a limit as to how much flavour /any/ method of cooking can
imbue a potato with...

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:54:35 GMT, Gawnsoft
<[email protected]> () wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:49:56 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
><[email protected]> wrote (more or less):
>
>>"Burning_Ranger" <[email protected]>typed
>>
>>> Chips always taste best with tangy sauces.

>>Implies they have little initial flavour...

>There's a limit as to how much flavour /any/ method of cooking can
>imbue a potato with...

Aloo Chana has plenty of flavour, but it's not really a method of
cooking.

I reckon that taking a nice piece of belly pork, placing it on a
roasting rack on the oven shelf and placing a tray of spuds underneath
it to catch the roasting meat juices is a pretty flavourful method of
cooking spuds. Very, very unhealthy, though. :)

--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:38:07 +0100, in <[email protected]>,
"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Burning_Ranger wrote:
>
>> Any other good accompaniments to
>> chips?

>MORE chips :)

Touch-up paint?
--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with.

Whingin' Pom:
> I reckon that taking a nice piece of belly pork, placing it on a
> roasting rack on the oven shelf and placing a tray of spuds underneath
> it to catch the roasting meat juices is a pretty flavourful method of
> cooking spuds. Very, very unhealthy, though. :)

It's more traditional to do that with a leg of lamb - what the French call
"a la boulangere". I've not tried it with belly pork but it sounds good.
Mmmmmmm...

d.