DIY HT,ST reaming

Ant

Guest
anyone ever used an adjustable reamer, made for machining, not bikes, to ream tubes? could i make it
work? i coudl fabricate any bushings, cones, etc, to make it work if it could be done. but i cant
make the cutter.

let me know if youve tried this before, or know something i dont,

(for the first time ever, if you could CC me in replies, that woudl be great. google, my newsreader,
has not loaded new messages in a long time)

thanks, anthony

"ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> anyone ever used an adjustable reamer, made for machining, not bikes, to ream tubes? could i make
> it work? i coudl fabricate any bushings, cones, etc, to make it work if it could be done. but i
> cant make the cutter.
>
> let me know if youve tried this before, or know something i dont,
>
> (for the first time ever, if you could CC me in replies, that woudl be great. google, my
> newsreader, has not loaded new messages in a long time)

We own a large number of adjustable reamers, letters B through H and a number 29. They are quite
useful to many jobs. What do you need to ream?

In article <[email protected]>, ant wrote:

> anyone ever used an adjustable reamer, made for machining, not bikes, to ream tubes? could i make
> it work? i coudl fabricate any bushings, cones, etc, to make it work if it could be done. but i
> cant make the cutter.
>
> let me know if youve tried this before, or know something i dont,

Yes. I can't afford industrial machinary in my home shop so I use an adjustable reamer with a large
tap handle to turn it.

--

-John ([email protected])

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> We own a large number of adjustable reamers, letters B through H and a number 29. They are quite
> useful to many jobs. What do you need to ream?

my bike.. ;)

i just built a frame, and the headtube needed reaming, adn the seat tube had some weld bead in it.
anyways, i did it today. and faced the headtube.

beautiful. saved me 45 dollars, and i didnt have to leave my bike in the shop for a week and a half-
their 'minimum' wait time.

the reamer i borrowed. it adjusted throug the range of my ST and HT. i plan on buying an import just
like it for my very infrequent (once a year? maybe?) similar jobs

thanks

anthony

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > We own a large number of adjustable reamers, letters B through H and a number 29. They are quite
> > useful to many jobs. What do you need to ream?

"ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> my bike.. ;)
>
> i just built a frame, and the headtube needed reaming, adn the seat tube had some weld bead in it.
> anyways, i did it today. and faced the headtube.
>
> beautiful. saved me 45 dollars, and i didnt have to leave my bike in the shop for a week and a
> half- their 'minimum' wait time.
>
> the reamer i borrowed. it adjusted throug the range of my ST and HT. i plan on buying an import
> just like it for my very infrequent (once a year? maybe?) similar jobs

An adjustable reamer is appropriate to a seat tube but a true head tube reamer is a compound cutter,
reaming the bore whilst leaving the ends perpendicular to that axis. Some bikes would not lend
themselves to a full
30.2mm ream down the full length of the head tube - and the standard depth of 15mm is plenty for the
available cups .

Leave a frame for _over a week_ waiting for simple head milling?? How does your LBS pay the rent? I
can't imagine customers would actually pay money for "service" that shabby. That's usually a
while-you-wait job in shops of my acquaintance.

Lastly, $45 seems high to me - any other dealers care to comment?

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> An adjustable reamer is appropriate to a seat tube but a true head tube reamer is a compound
> cutter, reaming the bore whilst leaving the ends perpendicular to that axis. Some bikes would not
> lend themselves to a full
> 30.2mm ream down the full length of the head tube - and the standard depth of 15mm is plenty for
> the available cups .

yep. im gonna buy myself a replacement cutter/reamer head for head tubes and fabricate my own tool.
it woudl definitely make things easier.

> Leave a frame for _over a week_ waiting for simple head milling?? How does your LBS pay the rent?
> I can't imagine customers would actually pay money for "service" that shabby. That's usually a
> while-you-wait job in shops of my acquaintance.

they pay the rent by selling people new bikes.

this frame means a lot to me.. a whole lot. i called them and asked them if they do tube facing and
reaming. they said 'hmm.. well, its been a few months since we have had to, but..' and i got the
chills. they arent really my LBS. my local local lbs doesnt have the tools. i jsut go over there and
chat a lot. another shop i called said they had never heard of reaming, but they coudl do the
facing. that didnt really turn me on, either.

this shop said that they could do it, but that they couldnt get around to it until a week and a bit
frmo when i called.

> Lastly, $45 seems high to me - any other dealers care to comment?

i lied. or exaggerated, perhaps. if i recall correctly, it was to be 36 dollars. i think my mind
tacked on the extra dollars becuase id have to find a car to borrow, drive the frame over, wait
forever, borrow the car again to pick it up, etc.