DIY: repainting frame. tips?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chuck, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    What's the best way to repaint a frame at home with your typical garage tools? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What's the best way to repaint a frame at home with your typical garage tools?

    The _best_ way is to make a wall of air filters so you can work in a clean environment, get a couple
    of big fans with no-spark motors ( restaurant grease fans are great for this) and be sure to wet the
    room before spraying.

    The cheap way is to hang it out of doors in the early morning when there's no wind and few insects.

    Whatever you decide, remember that paint should be in a 65-degree-plus environment for best results.
    A cold room wreaks havoc on paint as you don't get proper flow with a normal amount of material.

    Either way you'll need an air compressor and a spray gun to do a nice job with real auto paint
    unless you are satisfied with spray cans

    You ask a pretty broad question, there!

  3. On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 21:38:17 -0500, Chuck wrote:

    > What's the best way to repaint a frame at home with your typical garage tools? Thanks

    I don't really recommend it. I've done it, and for very little more moeny, and obviously much less
    hassle I re-did it (on one bike) by taking it to a powder-coater. Much better finish, as well,
    obviously. Look into powder-coating; it's less than you might think.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
    business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
    dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
    --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"