DIY tire removal



Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G.Daniels

Guest
try teflon wax on the bead before assembly then lube both leading bead and tool end. pinch in all
around twice and work the tire massage bead in to the opposite side of the nipple! holding tire
vertically pull up on that opposite side while holding tire down litely with the foot.pull pul pull
then place the first lever in at that pull spot and fix it to a spoke with the tools's crook then
work the bead in and around and toward that lever again! the repeat bead in and move around with the
lever's help at the other side is trick. lube the tire's leading edge bead with wax/tef and stick
the tool in and gently pry the bead out. put another tool in just ahead of the last tool fixing each
to a spoke. remove the middle tool and place it under the bead and just over the rim and pry that
small section of tire bead out.repeat.repeat until the bead no longer resists and will leave the
tire rim with a finger under the bead.I write from experience. Never assume the bead is in, make
sure the bead is in. the odds are that the problem is the mechanic's not the manufacturer.
 
P

Paul Southworth

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
g.daniels <[email protected]> wrote:
>try teflon wax on the bead before assembly then lube both leading bead and tool end. pinch in all
>around twice and work the tire massage bead

I hadn't heard of people putting wax on a tire bead til yesterday when I read on a
Panaracer tire box:

Caution
* Do not use oil or wax when mounting a tire on a rim. Using oil or was will make the tire unstable
and endanger the rider.

I'm not saying it's true or anything, I was just surprised to learn that someone might oil or wax a
tire before installation. And then here you are.

--Paul
 
M

Michael Dart

Guest
"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Cky_9.31495$A%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> g.daniels <[email protected]> wrote:
> >try teflon wax on the bead before assembly then lube both leading bead and tool end. pinch in all
> >around twice and work the tire massage bead
>
> I hadn't heard of people putting wax on a tire bead til yesterday when I read on a Panaracer
> tire box:
>
> Caution
> * Do not use oil or wax when mounting a tire on a rim. Using oil or was will make the tire
> unstable and endanger the rider.
>
>
> I'm not saying it's true or anything, I was just surprised to learn that someone might oil or wax
> a tire before installation. And then here you are.
>
> --Paul

The only slippery thing used with tires I've heard of is dishwashing soap.

Mike
 
P

Paul Southworth

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:Cky_9.31495$A%[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> g.daniels <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >try teflon wax on the bead before assembly then lube both leading bead and tool end. pinch in
>> >all around twice and work the tire massage bead
>>
>> I hadn't heard of people putting wax on a tire bead til yesterday when I read on a Panaracer
>> tire box:
>>
>> Caution
>> * Do not use oil or wax when mounting a tire on a rim. Using oil or was will make the tire
>> unstable and endanger the rider.
>>
>>
>> I'm not saying it's true or anything, I was just surprised to learn that someone might oil or wax
>> a tire before installation. And then here you are.
>>
>> --Paul
>
>The only slippery thing used with tires I've heard of is dishwashing soap.

Yeah but I don't know anyone who soaps to get the bead on, that is generally only used to correct
seating after the tire is on the rim (badly). I think soap would make it harder to get the bead on.

--Paul
 
B

Bill

Guest
"g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> try teflon wax on the bead before assembly then lube both leading bead and tool end. pinch in all
> around twice and work the tire massage bead in to the opposite side of the nipple! holding tire
> vertically pull up on that opposite side...............................I write from
experience. Never
> assume the bead is in, make sure the bead is in. the odds are that the problem is the mechanic's
> not the manufacturer.

If you are having that much trouble it must be an old Trek Matrix rim. The most effective mounting
technique was a new rim. They must have all been oversized. FWIW I've never had difficulty mounting
a tire to a Mavic rim. Bill Brannon
 
S

Scic

Guest
>From: "Bill"

>FWIW I've never had difficulty mounting a tire to a Mavic rim.

Hmm... I have no trouble with CXP10s but a great deal of effort is required to mount several brands
of tires on the CXP21s.

Sig Chicago
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Cky_9.31495$A%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> g.daniels <[email protected]> wrote:
> >try teflon wax on the bead before assembly then lube both leading bead and tool end. pinch in all
> >around twice and work the tire massage bead
>
> I hadn't heard of people putting wax on a tire bead til yesterday when I read on a Panaracer
> tire box:
>
> Caution
> * Do not use oil or wax when mounting a tire on a rim. Using oil or was will make the tire
> unstable and endanger the rider.
>
>
> I'm not saying it's true or anything, I was just surprised to learn that someone might oil or wax
> a tire before installation. And then here you are.

We commonly use Pledge or similar to mount tires both when a tight fit and on badly sized rims (like
the classic Chicago Schwinn steel rims, which are frequently large or small and a ***** to mount a
tire on straight). Never had any problems with that and we've done it _a lot_ and for a long time.

I remember a shipment of bicycles which arrived with shredded inner tubes. The explanation we got
was that the tires had been mounted with a spray oil at the assembler. Seems possible.

I once over-oiled a new three speed hub with a freshly mounted tubular and in the morning the tire
was bulged where the oil had saturated the casing. So I know oil isn't good for tires, but wax
always seemed innocuous.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971
 
P

Paul Southworth

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>We commonly use Pledge or similar to mount tires both when a tight fit and on badly sized rims
>(like the classic Chicago Schwinn steel rims, which are frequently large or small and a ***** to
>mount a tire on straight). Never had any problems with that and we've done it _a lot_ and for a
>long time.

So you spray Pledge on it to help you get the bead over the wall or is your purpose to simply assist
in seating after the tire is already on the rim?

--Paul
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
> In article <[email protected]>, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >We commonly use Pledge or similar to mount tires both when a tight fit
and
> >on badly sized rims (like the classic Chicago Schwinn steel rims, which
are
> >frequently large or small and a ***** to mount a tire on straight).
Never
> >had any problems with that and we've done it _a lot_ and for a long time.

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:hKS_9.31638$A%[email protected]...
> So you spray Pledge on it to help you get the bead over the wall or is your purpose to simply
> assist in seating after the tire is already on the rim?

It helps both. Spray with the nozzle inside the rim channel while the wheel is spinning so you don't
get wax on the brake surface.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971
 
G

G.Daniels

Guest
Let the teflon wax dry before mounting. DRY! the stuff is excellent on tent zippers and sleeping bag
zippers. DRY! Tire mounting and removal is basic. Ah!butnthere are several different levers ELDI
plastic-cheap and an excellent hook to pry, hook to a spoke and hold the bead open while seeking
another purchase.

Eldi steel-never used one but it exists. some people like steel.

Park plastic or nylon- an excellent set to work with the eldi holding the bead open after the mech.
again pushes the bead toward the opening lever with the unhooked Park lever end slipping into the
bead/rim space with more ease than the Eldi. Park's are more difficult to use as a "bead kept open"
tool where the Eldi's are excellent. Using both makes the tightdismount simpler, used by Parkself
moves the mech toward tiddleywinks rather than tire changing.

Zefal(ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEE' faul) has a nice Eldi style lever but more to the Park flexible material.

BR(bicycle research) has a tire tool.Visit BR's website.

And there are two LEVERS!! the "quick stick" haven't seen one yet. And the Eldi pro tire shop leber
at 160mm in steel. the quick comes in plastic!

Last but not thersa VAR HIGH PRESSURE TIRE LEVER with a unique wishbone design!
 
G

G.Daniels

Guest
the plastic Eldi's may be demeferos or deferos or... inexpensive but durable if one doesn't lean on
them to hard
 
Status
Not open for further replies.