Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

DIY tubeless road wheelset

Started by Bike Writer · · Last activity · 5 posts · 789 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 March 2004
Last activity
8 March 2004
Original author
Bike Writer
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
789
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is there a DIY I can follow to convert my road clinchers to
    tubeless? I'm just looking for flat prevention. Thanks in
    advance, bikewriter

  2. Quoted message said:

    Is there a DIY I can follow to convert my road clinchers
    to tubeless? I'm just looking for flat prevention. Thanks
    in advance, bikewriter

    You well need to find a way to seal each spoke hole. I
    suspect that a sturdy, adhesive-backed rim strip would do
    the job. Then you need to install some sort of valve stem.
    Perhaps one from a car could work, but most require a bigger
    hole than the one found in a typical bike rim.

    The bigger problem would be to find a way to seal the bead
    of the tire against its seat on the rim. Going to a car tire
    store and watching how they inflate a (tubeless) car tire
    may be instructive. It might work to arrange some sort of
    tourniquet around the outside of the tire to squeeze it
    against the rim while you pump it up.

    This will be a difficult project for no benefit that I can
    see, except for a small weight reduction. Actually no
    weight reduction once you consider the extra tools you will
    need to carry. That could be avoided if you carry a phone
    so that someone can rescue you when you get a flat. And you
    will get flats; the absence of a tube will provide no
    protection. Sorry.

    Tubeless tires exist for fat-tired bikes. They allow the use
    of much lower pressures(useful in some conditions) with no
    fear of pinch flats.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Bike Writer
    Is there a DIY I can follow to convert my road clinchers to
    tubeless? I'm just looking for flat prevention. Thanks in
    advance, bikewriter

    Leonard Zinn of Velonews had in his column a few weeks ago that Michelin was going to prototype some tubeless tires. So far, you can't buy anything like that in the road market, but perhaps in a year or two.

  4. Tubeless in road wheels seems pointless except for a few
    specialised races such as Paris-Roubaix. The weight is
    greater (according to what I read on Velonews) and flat
    protection isn't going to be any better. The advantage they
    confer on MTBs of being able to run lower pressures without
    pinch flats isn't relevant for road bikes.

    Nick

    bike writer said:

    Is there a DIY I can follow to convert my road clinchers
    to tubeless? I'm just looking for flat prevention.

  5. Ted Bennett said:

    Tubeless tires exist for fat-tired bikes. They allow the
    use of much lower pressures(useful in some conditions)
    with no fear of pinch flats.


    On cars there is also supposed to be an advantage in air
    sealing. Just as well, since about half the clueless idiots
    on the road rely on garages to check their tyres at the
    annual service.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.