DM Vortex

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by terrybigwheel, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. Thinking very seriously about geting this uni:
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=101

    Is it worth the money, or is it overpriced? Would the 2005 KH w/brakes
    be as good? If so, it would be waaay less $$. But I sure think the DM
    is the coolest looking muni I've seen! (IMHO)

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  2. red_rider

    red_rider Guest

  3. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    accoring to someone, somewhere i read it once... i think it was jagur...
    its over priced and outdated... all it is, is a muni with a hunter
    frame.. granted that is very cool.. i think the KH would be a better
    choice strenght wise and money wise..

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Peter Jennings
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

    -last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

  4. unijesse

    unijesse Guest

  5. what about this one? http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=485

    |Filename: wilder.jpg |

    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  6. unijesse

    unijesse Guest

  7. unijesse wrote:
    > same situation, if they arent that much more than the kh, i would get
    > one of those, cuz they look cooler

    that one's about $1,000 MORE than the KH freeride; which reminds me,
    what is the main diference between the KH freeride and the XC? There's
    only $6 difference in price. Which one is preferred for muni? They look
    basically the same.

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. :cool:

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! :D
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  8. mscalisi

    mscalisi Guest

    It's not a Hunter, its a DM frame. Somewhat similar styles though.

    If it was my money, I'd get the KH. These dinosaurs were advanced when
    they first came out, but the KH is probably at least as good.

    ...however, if you've got the cash and you want to stand out, that's a
    different story.

    --
    mscalisi
    mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

  9. unijesse

    unijesse Guest

    terrybigwheel wrote:
    > that one's about $1,000 MORE than the KH freeride; which reminds me,
    > what is the main diference between the KH freeride and the XC? There's
    > only $6 difference in price. Which one is preferred for muni? They look
    > basically the same.

    ones got a lighter and smaller rim/tire setup

    --
    unijesse

    www.unicycletips.com

    Udjiniese-Lucas1wheel

    *_OWNER_OF_60000!!!!!!!_*
    unijesse's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10868

  10. Unitik908 wrote:
    > accoring to someone, somewhere i read it once... i think it was jagur...
    > its over priced and outdated...
    >
    > Chase

    yeah, i think that was me, it was a good muni at the time but KH muni's
    are have better brake mounts (Magura) and cost alot less...

    if you really like it, you may be able to work a deal with
    uni.com...they probobly want to get rid of those since they are most
    likely dead stock at this point.

    i wouldnt pay full price thats for sure, you just get alot more with
    the KH's.

    --
    forget_your_life

    dream one dream many....
    *'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
    forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

  11. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    With the Vortex you have to pay an extra $100, but then both it and the
    Wilder come with a Profile crankset (lifetime warranty). That's a
    plus.

    The story on the Vortex was to look for a logical extension of the
    Hunter frame, using the theory of small, high-quality bicycle tubing
    instead of lesser-quality fat tubing. But less of it. To me it looks
    better than the Hunter design.

    The Wilder is a gorgeous piece of hand-made aluminum art, at least as
    long as you get the red one. :) I think it's the only hand-made
    aluminum unicycle on the market. Very sweet.

    Both of those unicycles (and a few others) are so high-priced because
    they are made by hand, by the guys who make the rest of the cycles.
    Labor cost and time-per-frame are very high. By contrast, today's KH
    frames are mass-produced in a factory in Taiwan (or China?). Each frame
    probably takes less than 1/10th the time to make, and the labor cost is
    much less.

    Those cycles were top-of-the-line when they came out, but they have
    been superseded in most ways. The high prices are still justified by
    their rarity and historical value. If you have the money, why not?
    You'll be helping out those builders. There won't be many more of them
    made, if any...

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

  12. johnfoss wrote:
    > You'll be helping out those builders. There won't be many more of them
    > made, if any...

    not really, im pretty sure the builders have already been paid for there
    stock. its only the seller that can be helped now.

    the only thing the builder may get at this point is respect.

    --
    forget_your_life

    dream one dream many....
    *'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
    forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

  13. Those are like the muni equivalents of a nice, hand-built sports car,
    like a TVR or something. Not the most practical, or the best value, but
    worth it for the looks, quality and rarity!

    They are pretty damn expensive, but everyone has a KH, and if I had the
    money I would get one!

    As for the difference between the two KHs, the Freeride has the widest
    KH rim, a 3" tyre and 165mm cranks, whereas the XC has a rim that's
    about 5mm or so narrower, a 2.6" tyre, 150mm cranks and weighs half a
    kilo less.

    --
    domesticated ape

    i like bananas, monkey nuts and grapes
    domesticated ape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8599

  14. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    terrybigwheel wrote:
    > Thinking very seriously about geting this uni:
    > http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=101
    >
    > Is it worth the money, or is it overpriced? Would the 2005 KH w/brakes
    > be as good? If so, it would be waaay less $$. But I sure think the DM
    > is the coolest looking muni I've seen! (IMHO)

    It's a heavier, supposedly not that stiff frame which might makes a
    difference to how well your maguras work, doesn't have a proper magura
    mount, has a choice of a heavy old technology splined hub of unknown
    strength, or a similarly old technology profile hub, and doesn't even
    say it comes with a rail seatpost.

    It does look pretty, but in every other respect, the KH is surely going
    to be way better.

    If you really want to throw away lots of money on a frame that looks
    nice, you could get a whole KH and a custom built hunter frame with
    brake bosses added for less money (from
    http://www.huntercycles.com/unicycles.html).

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

  15. joemarshall wrote:

    > If you really want to throw away lots of money on a frame that looks
    > nice, you could get a whole KH and a custom built hunter frame with
    > brake bosses added for less money (from
    > http://www.huntercycles.com/unicycles.html).
    >
    > Joe

    No need for that, you can get pre-built Hunter munis from unicycle.com
    in the US. Still pretty expensive, but cheaper than a DM or Wilder.

    Just a thought, but if you really want a flash muni, there are still
    carbon fibre munis for sale on unicycle.uk.com. Yours for a mere £700
    plus shipping:cool:

    --
    domesticated ape

    i like bananas, monkey nuts and grapes
    domesticated ape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8599

  16. go through Rick Hunter directly and you can have it customized..and get
    better colors than "red or "blue".

    why buy a generic stock Hunter frame when you can go straight through
    the builder for the same price?

    then send the frame to U-turn for the final wheel build.

    --
    forget_your_life

    dream one dream many....
    *'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
    forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

  17. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    i think i referd you to that one...it looks really kool and its got
    profiles and the hunter frame...i would get one if i had the money for
    it but alas i do not

    --
    trials_uni

    TRIALS 4 LIFE !
    'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    *JONNY IS MY HERO!*

  18. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    Terry,

    Contact Joe Merrill on this message board. I believe he goes by screen
    name NYCJOE. He was riding a DM for the longest time, and may still be
    riding it.

    The Hunter is a favorite frame of mine. I came Soooo close to buying
    one before I bought my current Lyte Rider/ Wilder frame(just like John
    Long's broken frame). The Hunter frame is most likely lighter than the
    DM Vortex frame.

    When you see a Hunter frame up close, they are like a work of art.
    Very clean welds and a very nice paint job. You can't go wrong with
    the Hunter!

    Cheers

    --
    teachndad

    Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
    (http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
    'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  19. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    teachndad wrote:
    > Contact Joe Merrill on this message board. I believe he goes by screen
    > name NYCJOE. He was riding a DM for the longest time, and may still be
    > riding it. The Hunter is a favorite frame of mine.

    I thought his screen name was Merrill, but haven't seen him post in
    some time. John_Childs also owns a DM Vortex, so you might PM him for
    some feedback since he hasn't chimed in yet.

    I've owned a Hunter for four years now, and can't praise it enough.
    It's been a rock solid frame, takes the kind of beating that only an
    inept rider can give it, and has been zero maintenance. Only thing I've
    done in four years is bleed the brake, and even then I got JC to do it
    for me, so zero maintenance record was maintained.

    If I was buying today instead of four years ago, I'd take that $1200
    and instead of getting one Hunter or one DM, I'd get the 24" KH AND the
    29" KH. Why settle for one when you could have both? Classics are
    great to own, but I'd rather have a full quiver of specialized arrows.

    $.02, TB

    --
    tomblackwood

    Tailgate at your own risk...

  20. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    forget_your_life wrote:
    > go through Rick Hunter directly and you can have it customized..and get
    > better colors than "red or "blue".
    >
    > why buy a generic stock Hunter frame when you can go straight through
    > the builder for the same price?
    >
    > then send the frame to U-turn for the final wheel build.

    No need to send me the frame for a wheel build; just email me about what
    you want done.

    Even better, I can handle the project for you and then everything will
    be custom-fit (brake lines, seat tube, seat post, color) and precisely
    put together. I do this all the time in coordination with Rick and it
    works out very well.

    We could also do a LiveWire wheel on the DM frame, but I'd have to
    check with uni.com to see if they'd sell only the frame.

    Thanks for the plug, Jag!

    --
    U-Turn

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'