DMT Ultimax or 2004 Nike "Lance" shoes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chris, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I have been looking everywhere in the US for DMT Ultimax shoes with CF sole
    in colors other than white. The only shoes I have seen are black and white
    and then the updated "Petacchi 53 x 11" white with blue trim at the front. I
    saw the shoes Lance is wearing and they look like an updated version of the
    Ultimax. I know that DMT does a lot of prototypes and small production runs
    for othes (I was told that is how they began and only in the last few years
    began using their own name)

    Does anyone know if I can get either the Nike version or the blue and silver
    as supplied to Quickstep riders (or almost any other color). I love my
    Ultimax shoes and would like another pair but I am tired of the way the
    white gets dirty looking so fast. Besides, if I get another pair (I always
    like to rotate two pairs) I can use the white when they won't get as much
    junk thrown on them and I will have more time to clean them if I have a
    spare pair. As it is now my second pair are Sidi G3s which are great shoes,
    but they feel less rigid than the DMTs. Not that it matters much, but it
    just feels odd to go back and forth.

    Can anyone point me to a reseller that has DMT or any other shoe brand in
    that style with the DMT combined heel cup and arch strap?

    Tags:

  2. "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have been looking everywhere in the US for DMT Ultimax shoes with CF

    sole
    > in colors other than white. The only shoes I have seen are black and white
    > and then the updated "Petacchi 53 x 11" white with blue trim at the front.

    > saw the shoes Lance is wearing and they look like an updated version of

    the
    > Ultimax. I know that DMT does a lot of prototypes and small production

    runs
    > for othes (I was told that is how they began and only in the last few

    years
    > began using their own name)
    >
    > Does anyone know if I can get either the Nike version or the blue and

    silver
    > as supplied to Quickstep riders (or almost any other color). I love my
    > Ultimax shoes and would like another pair but I am tired of the way the
    > white gets dirty looking so fast. Besides, if I get another pair (I always
    > like to rotate two pairs) I can use the white when they won't get as much
    > junk thrown on them and I will have more time to clean them if I have a
    > spare pair. As it is now my second pair are Sidi G3s which are great

    shoes,
    > but they feel less rigid than the DMTs. Not that it matters much, but it
    > just feels odd to go back and forth.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a reseller that has DMT or any other shoe brand in
    > that style with the DMT combined heel cup and arch strap?

    You might want to check out the '05 DMT's. They do a new Flash model in
    silver as well as the blue Ultimax you mentioned, both with the one-piece
    heel cup/arch strap.

    http://www.uplandsg.com/dmt/flash.htm

    FWIW, I just tried on a pair of the Nike Lance shoes today and thought they
    were not nearly as nice as my Ultimaxes. Kind of cheesy-looking, imho.

    SB

  3. for anybody that gives a shit.. DMT is a brand of DIAMANTE... old fart guys
    know about DIAMANTE.. they make boat loads of shoes for other people too...
    they are a friggin shoe mill...

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > You might want to check out the '05 DMT's. They do a new Flash model in
    > silver as well as the blue Ultimax you mentioned, both with the one-piece
    > heel cup/arch strap.
    >
    > http://www.uplandsg.com/dmt/flash.htm
    >
    > FWIW, I just tried on a pair of the Nike Lance shoes today and thought

    they
    > were not nearly as nice as my Ultimaxes. Kind of cheesy-looking, imho.
    >
    > SB

    I appreciate that. I have also been disappointed with Nike shoes in the
    past. They looked like a good design but were not the same quality as DMT. I
    was thinking those shoes were possibly made elsewhere. The latest shoes look
    to me to be nearly identical to the Ultimax, so that surprises me that they
    feel bad.

    I have not seen any of the '05s so I will keep my eyes open for those too.
    What year are your Ultimax? Mine are '02 or '03 purchased in late '02
    (almost exactly 2 years ago). They have held up really great and I am just
    being cautious in starting to look early.

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "erik saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > for anybody that gives a shit.. DMT is a brand of DIAMANTE... old fart

    guys
    > know about DIAMANTE.. they make boat loads of shoes for other people

    too...
    > they are a friggin shoe mill...

    I think you might be confused. Yes, they do make lots of shoes for others,
    but they also have a fine prototyping shop where they make very high quality
    and prototypes and small production runs. This would be approximately the
    same concept as the Specialized Skunk Works or the Bianchi race department.

    Is that what you mean by "gives a shit"?

  6. "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > You might want to check out the '05 DMT's. They do a new Flash model in
    > > silver as well as the blue Ultimax you mentioned, both with the

    one-piece
    > > heel cup/arch strap.
    > >
    > > http://www.uplandsg.com/dmt/flash.htm
    > >
    > > FWIW, I just tried on a pair of the Nike Lance shoes today and thought

    > they
    > > were not nearly as nice as my Ultimaxes. Kind of cheesy-looking, imho.
    > >
    > > SB

    > I appreciate that. I have also been disappointed with Nike shoes in the
    > past. They looked like a good design but were not the same quality as DMT.

    > was thinking those shoes were possibly made elsewhere. The latest shoes

    look
    > to me to be nearly identical to the Ultimax, so that surprises me that

    they
    > feel bad.
    >
    > I have not seen any of the '05s so I will keep my eyes open for those too.
    > What year are your Ultimax? Mine are '02 or '03 purchased in late '02
    > (almost exactly 2 years ago). They have held up really great and I am just
    > being cautious in starting to look early.

    Mine are about the same age as yours and doing fine also, though they're not
    my only pair of shoes. I like the full-wrap heel cup/arch strap as well, as
    it's very secure; you don't have to keep wailing down on them to keep them
    snug (like the last Sidis I had, for instance). Eric's right that Diamante
    is the maker; they do lots of other branded shoes and appear to do the
    top-end Nikes as well. A bud of mine used to rep for them. But the thing
    is that the uppers on the Nikes aren't very substantial in comparison and
    the wrap-around section is much flimsier than the DMT version. They look as
    though Nike said, "build us some like the Ultimax but for $X cheaper". Just
    my opinion, and no doubt some folks will love them.

    SB/ an old fart who remembers Diamante. And Maresi, and Rivat, and Detto
    Pietro, and... (yes, I have a shoe thing)

  7. warren

    warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Steve Blankenship
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > SB/ an old fart who remembers Diamante. And Maresi, and Rivat, and Detto
    > Pietro, and... (yes, I have a shoe thing)

    Are there any modern shoes as nice as the Maresis? I still have some
    small sizes brand new in the box but they need cleats, not Look
    drilled.

    -WG

  8. On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 04:51:36 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Are there any modern shoes as nice as the Maresis? I still have some
    >small sizes brand new in the box but they need cleats, not Look
    >drilled.

    Those had a kind of cult following for sure. Very nicely made, but I
    think they had a very atypical sole shape so I never used them.

    I love Sidis.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  9. warren

    warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, John Forrest
    Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 04:51:36 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Are there any modern shoes as nice as the Maresis? I still have some
    > >small sizes brand new in the box but they need cleats, not Look
    > >drilled.

    > Those had a kind of cult following for sure. Very nicely made, but I
    > think they had a very atypical sole shape so I never used them.
    >
    > I love Sidis.

    Ah, that makes sense because Sidis don't fit me right.

    -WG

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Mine are about the same age as yours and doing fine also, though they're

    not
    > my only pair of shoes. I like the full-wrap heel cup/arch strap as well,

    as
    > it's very secure; you don't have to keep wailing down on them to keep them
    > snug (like the last Sidis I had, for instance).

    Exactly what I find. I use G3 and Energy on shorter rides and the indoor
    trainer. I find the Sidi fits more snugly on the upper because it has to.
    The DMTs are so rigid that I don't need to tighten them nearly as much even
    when going hard. I used to reach down to tighten my Sidi just about every
    time I increase the pace but with the DMTs I just make an occasional
    adjustment. I swapped the strap and buckle for the latest Sidi setup.

    Eric's right that Diamante
    > is the maker; they do lots of other branded shoes and appear to do the
    > top-end Nikes as well. A bud of mine used to rep for them. But the thing
    > is that the uppers on the Nikes aren't very substantial in comparison and
    > the wrap-around section is much flimsier than the DMT version. They look

    as
    > though Nike said, "build us some like the Ultimax but for $X cheaper".

    Just
    > my opinion, and no doubt some folks will love them.

    I can think of at least 4 models that Nike had from DMT. I am really
    surprised that the latest shoe is that different. It looks very similar. I
    guess the production models are lower quality. I am betting that Lance and
    the other pros wearing them have materials at least as good as the Ultimax
    and probably with that new sole they are showing with the new "Flash" model.
    It looks like distribution is getting better in the US so maybe I will have
    a chance to try the new models. They are showing 2 new models similar to the
    Ultimax (I just have to make sure get the unified arch strap \ heel cup)
    that each have silver as a color option.

    > SB/ an old fart who remembers Diamante. And Maresi, and Rivat, and Detto
    > Pietro, and... (yes, I have a shoe thing)

  11. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]jt10000.com> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 04:51:36 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Are there any modern shoes as nice as the Maresis? I still have some
    > >small sizes brand new in the box but they need cleats, not Look
    > >drilled.

    > Those had a kind of cult following for sure. Very nicely made, but I
    > think they had a very atypical sole shape so I never used them.
    >
    > I love Sidis.

    Are those the shoes that had wooden soles?

  12. "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > >Are there any modern shoes as nice as the Maresis? I still have some
    > > >small sizes brand new in the box but they need cleats, not Look
    > > >drilled.

    > > Those had a kind of cult following for sure. Very nicely made, but I
    > > think they had a very atypical sole shape so I never used them.
    > >
    > > I love Sidis.

    > Are those the shoes that had wooden soles?

    Duegi was known for wooden soles. Sidi used to make some with a titanium
    shank.

    Carl
    Misses Marressi shoes in addition to real chamois

  13. On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:09:13 -0700, "Chris"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:eek:[email protected]
    >> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 04:51:36 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Are there any modern shoes as nice as the Maresis? I still have some
    >> >small sizes brand new in the box but they need cleats, not Look
    >> >drilled.

    >> Those had a kind of cult following for sure. Very nicely made, but I
    >> think they had a very atypical sole shape so I never used them.
    >>
    >> I love Sidis.

    >Are those the shoes that had wooden soles?

    No, those were Duegis and Dette Pietros

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  14. P Sumner

    P Sumner Guest

    I'm just about to put a pair of the 2004 Ultimax Carbon's on ebay...
    size 46 FYI.

    Chris wrote:
    > I have been looking everywhere in the US for DMT Ultimax shoes with CF sole
    > in colors other than white. The only shoes I have seen are black and white
    > and then the updated "Petacchi 53 x 11" white with blue trim at the front. I
    > saw the shoes Lance is wearing and they look like an updated version of the
    > Ultimax. I know that DMT does a lot of prototypes and small production runs
    > for othes (I was told that is how they began and only in the last few years
    > began using their own name)
    >
    > Does anyone know if I can get either the Nike version or the blue and silver
    > as supplied to Quickstep riders (or almost any other color). I love my
    > Ultimax shoes and would like another pair but I am tired of the way the
    > white gets dirty looking so fast. Besides, if I get another pair (I always
    > like to rotate two pairs) I can use the white when they won't get as much
    > junk thrown on them and I will have more time to clean them if I have a
    > spare pair. As it is now my second pair are Sidi G3s which are great shoes,
    > but they feel less rigid than the DMTs. Not that it matters much, but it
    > just feels odd to go back and forth.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a reseller that has DMT or any other shoe brand in
    > that style with the DMT combined heel cup and arch strap?

  15. k.j.papai

    k.j.papai Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]%[email protected]
    > In .com>, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 04:51:36 GMT, warren <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Are there any modern shoes as nice as the Maresis? I still have some
    >> >small sizes brand new in the box but they need cleats, not Look
    >> >drilled.

    >> Those had a kind of cult following for sure. Very nicely made, but I
    >> think they had a very atypical sole shape so I never used them.
    >>
    >> I love Sidis.

    > Ah, that makes sense because Sidis don't fit me right.

    Sidis are more for narrower feet while Carnacs :) just the opposite.

    Long live Bicycle Odyssey and Carnac shoes. Let me hear ya bruthus!

    -Ken