DNA damage / antioxidative status / vegetarians

Doe

Guest
Neoplasma. 2004;51(1):30-3. Links

Oxidative DNA damage in relation to nutrition.

Krajcovicova-Kudlackova M, Dusinska M.

Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine;, Bratislava,
833 01 Slovak Republic. [email protected]

Oxidative DNA damage in humans could arise also from
incorrect nutritional habit and life style. DNA strand
breaks with apurinic/apyrimidinic sites, oxidized purines
and oxidized pyrimidines were assessed in 24 subjectively
healthy vegetarians (plant food, dairy products, eggs) and
compared with 24 non-vegetarians (traditional diet, general
population). DNA strand breaks + oxidized purines are
significantly reduced in vegetarians (p<0.05), DNA strand
breaks are nonsignificantly decreased. The sufficient
antioxidative status (overthreshold values of natural
essential antioxidants, which mean a reduced risk of free
radical disease) is crucial in free radical defense. Intake
of protective food commodities (fruit, vegetables, dark
grain products, grain sprouts, oil seeds) is significantly
higher in vegetarians. Alternative nutrition subjects have a
significantly increased plasma levels of vitamin C, vitamin
E, beta-carotene with high incidence of overthreshold values
(92% vs. 42% - vitamin C, 67% vs. 33% - vitamin E, 67% vs.
17% - beta-carotene). There is recorded a significant
inverse linear correlation between values of DNA strand
breaks + oxidized purines and vitamin C or beta-carotene
levels (p<0.01, p<0.05). Vegetarian diet is significantly
more rich source of antioxidants. The results of reduced
endogenous DNA damage and higher antioxidative status in
vegetarians document that a correct vegetarian nutrition
might represent an effective cancer prevention.

PMID: 15004656 [PubMed - in process]

--------------
------

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
PEOPLE WALKING

Thank you Tom, this is a real contribution to a
discussion of nutrition. Everyone, regardless of source
of protein, would do well to increase intake of fruits
and veggies to insure good antioxidant status, or at a
minimun, take vits a c and e to come up to the serum
levels of veggie folks; as the article implies. Dna
damage would then be avoided by all.

>Subject: Re: DNA damage / antioxidative status / vegetarians

Neoplasma. 2004;51(1):30-3. Links

Oxidative DNA damage in relation to nutrition.

Krajcovicova-Kudlackova M, Dusinska M.

Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine;, Bratislava,
833 01 Slovak Republic. [email protected]

Oxidative DNA damage in humans could arise also from
incorrect nutritional habit and life style. DNA strand
breaks with apurinic/apyrimidinic sites, oxidized purines
and oxidized pyrimidines were assessed in 24 subjectively
healthy vegetarians (plant food, dairy products, eggs) and
compared with 24 non-vegetarians (traditional diet, general
population). DNA strand breaks + oxidized purines are
significantly reduced in vegetarians (p<0.05), DNA strand
breaks are nonsignificantly decreased. The sufficient
antioxidative status (overthreshold values of natural
essential antioxidants, which mean a reduced risk of free
radical disease) is crucial in free radical defense. Intake
of protective food commodities (fruit, vegetables, dark
grain products, grain sprouts, oil seeds) is significantly
higher in vegetarians. Alternative nutrition subjects have a
significantly increased plasma levels of vitamin C, vitamin
E, beta-carotene with high incidence of overthreshold values
(92% vs. 42% - vitamin C, 67% vs. 33% - vitamin E, 67% vs.
17% - beta-carotene). There is recorded a significant
inverse linear correlation between values of DNA strand
breaks + oxidized purines and vitamin C or beta-carotene
levels (p<0.01, p<0.05). Vegetarian diet is significantly
more rich source of antioxidants. The results of reduced
endogenous DNA damage and higher antioxidative status in
vegetarians document that a correct vegetarian nutrition
might represent an effective cancer prevention.

PMID: 15004656 [PubMed - in process]

--------------
------

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
PEOPLE WALKING

Does reposting make a difference, let's see what it does.

>Thank you Tom, this is a real contribution to a
>discussion of nutrition. Everyone, regardless of source
>of protein, would do well to increase intake of fruits
>and veggies to insure good antioxidant status, or at a
>minimun, take vits a c and e to come up to the serum
>levels of veggie folks; as the article implies. Dna
>damage would then be avoided by all.

>Subject: Re: DNA damage / antioxidative status / vegetarians

Neoplasma. 2004;51(1):30-3. Links

Oxidative DNA damage in relation to nutrition.

Krajcovicova-Kudlackova M, Dusinska M.

Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine;, Bratislava,
833 01 Slovak Republic. [email protected]

Oxidative DNA damage in humans could arise also from
incorrect nutritional habit and life style. DNA strand
breaks with apurinic/apyrimidinic sites, oxidized purines
and oxidized pyrimidines were assessed in 24 subjectively
healthy vegetarians (plant food, dairy products, eggs) and
compared with 24 non-vegetarians (traditional diet, general
population). DNA strand breaks + oxidized purines are
significantly reduced in vegetarians (p<0.05), DNA strand
breaks are nonsignificantly decreased. The sufficient
antioxidative status (overthreshold values of natural
essential antioxidants, which mean a reduced risk of free
radical disease) is crucial in free radical defense. Intake
of protective food commodities (fruit, vegetables, dark
grain products, grain sprouts, oil seeds) is significantly
higher in vegetarians. Alternative nutrition subjects have a
significantly increased plasma levels of vitamin C, vitamin
E, beta-carotene with high incidence of overthreshold values
(92% vs. 42% - vitamin C, 67% vs. 33% - vitamin E, 67% vs.
17% - beta-carotene). There is recorded a significant
inverse linear correlation between values of DNA strand
breaks + oxidized purines and vitamin C or beta-carotene
levels (p<0.01, p<0.05). Vegetarian diet is significantly
more rich source of antioxidants. The results of reduced
endogenous DNA damage and higher antioxidative status in
vegetarians document that a correct vegetarian nutrition
might represent an effective cancer prevention.

PMID: 15004656 [PubMed - in process]

--------------
------

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
PEOPLE WALKING

Ah, expirment done, reposting makes no difference, then why
does he persist?

>Subject: Re: DNA damage / antioxidative status / vegetarians

Neoplasma. 2004;51(1):30-3. Links

Oxidative DNA damage in relation to nutrition.

Krajcovicova-Kudlackova M, Dusinska M.

Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine;, Bratislava,
833 01 Slovak Republic. [email protected]

Oxidative DNA damage in humans could arise also from
incorrect nutritional habit and life style. DNA strand
breaks with apurinic/apyrimidinic sites, oxidized purines
and oxidized pyrimidines were assessed in 24 subjectively
healthy vegetarians (plant food, dairy products, eggs) and
compared with 24 non-vegetarians (traditional diet, general
population). DNA strand breaks + oxidized purines are
significantly reduced in vegetarians (p<0.05), DNA strand
breaks are nonsignificantly decreased. The sufficient
antioxidative status (overthreshold values of natural
essential antioxidants, which mean a reduced risk of free
radical disease) is crucial in free radical defense. Intake
of protective food commodities (fruit, vegetables, dark
grain products, grain sprouts, oil seeds) is significantly
higher in vegetarians. Alternative nutrition subjects have a
significantly increased plasma levels of vitamin C, vitamin
E, beta-carotene with high incidence of overthreshold values
(92% vs. 42% - vitamin C, 67% vs. 33% - vitamin E, 67% vs.
17% - beta-carotene). There is recorded a significant
inverse linear correlation between values of DNA strand
breaks + oxidized purines and vitamin C or beta-carotene
levels (p<0.01, p<0.05). Vegetarian diet is significantly
more rich source of antioxidants. The results of reduced
endogenous DNA damage and higher antioxidative status in
vegetarians document that a correct vegetarian nutrition
might represent an effective cancer prevention.

PMID: 15004656 [PubMed - in process]

--------------
------

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
PEOPLE WALKING

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "He keeps going until you give up."
>
> It varies, sometimes he doesn't and sometimes he does. My
> purpose, and he knows it, was to make the point that for
> him to merely repeat a post as a responce to info
> questioning his desired interpretation is an empty
> gesture; believe me he knows it.

Oh, it's well established that he has absolutely no
conception of the content of that which he posts. Trouble
is, as he feels these postings are something of a religous
crusade, any attempt at reasoned behaviour is futile.

MB

"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Subject: Re: DNA damage / antioxidative status /
> >vegetarians From: "Manky Badger"
> >[email protected] Date: 3/17/2004 3:40 PM
> >Mountain Standard Time Message-id:
> ><[email protected]>
> >

> ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> >net.com...
> >> "He keeps going until you give up."
> >>
> >> It varies, sometimes he doesn't and sometimes he does.
> >> My purpose, and
he
> >> knows it, was to make the point that for him to merely
> >> repeat a post as
> >> responce to info questioning his desired interpretation
> >> is an empty gesture; believe me he knows it.
> >
> >Oh, it's well established that he has absolutely no
> >conception of the content of that which he posts.
>
> Is that .. right ..
>
> YOU are the one who 'claims' .. ability .. experienced
> MEDICAL .. ability
..

> YOU .. prove .. you don't HAVE the .. ability .. and THAT
> is fkd up .. man
..

> So let me advise .. YOU ..
>
> Stay the fk out of the medical newsgroups .. or .. DON'T
> .. attempt to
convince
> people by 'claiming' .. credentials that in light of your
> postings ..
PROVE ..
> otherwise ..
>
> Dig .. ? Understand .. ? Comprendez .. ?
>
> Since you and markd can't seem to understand simple
> medical articles ..
let ..
> me .. explain .. it .. to .. you ..
>
> The medical study simply states with no innuendo no
> implications .. that
..
> simply .. vegetarians have higher antioxidant values in
> their bodies ..
>
> Simple .. as .. that ..

Tommy, we're talking about you, not to you !

Dig .. ? Understand .. ? Comprendez .. ?

Once upon a time, our fellow Manky Badger rambled on about
"Re: DNA damage / antioxidative status / vegetarians." Our
champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts,
thusly ...

>Tommy, we're talking about you, not to you !

Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

That is a good one. :)