DNA damage / antioxidative status / vegetarians

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doe, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    Neoplasma. 2004;51(1):30-3. Links

    Oxidative DNA damage in relation to nutrition.

    Krajcovicova-Kudlackova M, Dusinska M.

    Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine;, Bratislava,
    833 01 Slovak Republic. [email protected]

    Oxidative DNA damage in humans could arise also from
    incorrect nutritional habit and life style. DNA strand
    breaks with apurinic/apyrimidinic sites, oxidized purines
    and oxidized pyrimidines were assessed in 24 subjectively
    healthy vegetarians (plant food, dairy products, eggs) and
    compared with 24 non-vegetarians (traditional diet, general
    population). DNA strand breaks + oxidized purines are
    significantly reduced in vegetarians (p<0.05), DNA strand
    breaks are nonsignificantly decreased. The sufficient
    antioxidative status (overthreshold values of natural
    essential antioxidants, which mean a reduced risk of free
    radical disease) is crucial in free radical defense. Intake
    of protective food commodities (fruit, vegetables, dark
    grain products, grain sprouts, oil seeds) is significantly
    higher in vegetarians. Alternative nutrition subjects have a
    significantly increased plasma levels of vitamin C, vitamin
    E, beta-carotene with high incidence of overthreshold values
    (92% vs. 42% - vitamin C, 67% vs. 33% - vitamin E, 67% vs.
    17% - beta-carotene). There is recorded a significant
    inverse linear correlation between values of DNA strand
    breaks + oxidized purines and vitamin C or beta-carotene
    levels (p<0.01, p<0.05). Vegetarian diet is significantly
    more rich source of antioxidants. The results of reduced
    endogenous DNA damage and higher antioxidative status in
    vegetarians document that a correct vegetarian nutrition
    might represent an effective cancer prevention.

    PMID: 15004656 [PubMed - in process]

    --------------
    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  2. markd

    markd Guest

    Thank you Tom, this is a real contribution to a
    discussion of nutrition. Everyone, regardless of source
    of protein, would do well to increase intake of fruits
    and veggies to insure good antioxidant status, or at a
    minimun, take vits a c and e to come up to the serum
    levels of veggie folks; as the article implies. Dna
    damage would then be avoided by all.

  3. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: DNA damage / antioxidative status / vegetarians

    Neoplasma. 2004;51(1):30-3. Links

    Oxidative DNA damage in relation to nutrition.

    Krajcovicova-Kudlackova M, Dusinska M.

    Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine;, Bratislava,
    833 01 Slovak Republic. [email protected]

    Oxidative DNA damage in humans could arise also from
    incorrect nutritional habit and life style. DNA strand
    breaks with apurinic/apyrimidinic sites, oxidized purines
    and oxidized pyrimidines were assessed in 24 subjectively
    healthy vegetarians (plant food, dairy products, eggs) and
    compared with 24 non-vegetarians (traditional diet, general
    population). DNA strand breaks + oxidized purines are
    significantly reduced in vegetarians (p<0.05), DNA strand
    breaks are nonsignificantly decreased. The sufficient
    antioxidative status (overthreshold values of natural
    essential antioxidants, which mean a reduced risk of free
    radical disease) is crucial in free radical defense. Intake
    of protective food commodities (fruit, vegetables, dark
    grain products, grain sprouts, oil seeds) is significantly
    higher in vegetarians. Alternative nutrition subjects have a
    significantly increased plasma levels of vitamin C, vitamin
    E, beta-carotene with high incidence of overthreshold values
    (92% vs. 42% - vitamin C, 67% vs. 33% - vitamin E, 67% vs.
    17% - beta-carotene). There is recorded a significant
    inverse linear correlation between values of DNA strand
    breaks + oxidized purines and vitamin C or beta-carotene
    levels (p<0.01, p<0.05). Vegetarian diet is significantly
    more rich source of antioxidants. The results of reduced
    endogenous DNA damage and higher antioxidative status in
    vegetarians document that a correct vegetarian nutrition
    might represent an effective cancer prevention.

    PMID: 15004656 [PubMed - in process]

    --------------
    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  4. markd

    markd Guest

    Does reposting make a difference, let's see what it does.

    >Thank you Tom, this is a real contribution to a
    >discussion of nutrition. Everyone, regardless of source
    >of protein, would do well to increase intake of fruits
    >and veggies to insure good antioxidant status, or at a
    >minimun, take vits a c and e to come up to the serum
    >levels of veggie folks; as the article implies. Dna
    >damage would then be avoided by all.

  5. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: DNA damage / antioxidative status / vegetarians

    Neoplasma. 2004;51(1):30-3. Links

    Oxidative DNA damage in relation to nutrition.

    Krajcovicova-Kudlackova M, Dusinska M.

    Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine;, Bratislava,
    833 01 Slovak Republic. [email protected]

    Oxidative DNA damage in humans could arise also from
    incorrect nutritional habit and life style. DNA strand
    breaks with apurinic/apyrimidinic sites, oxidized purines
    and oxidized pyrimidines were assessed in 24 subjectively
    healthy vegetarians (plant food, dairy products, eggs) and
    compared with 24 non-vegetarians (traditional diet, general
    population). DNA strand breaks + oxidized purines are
    significantly reduced in vegetarians (p<0.05), DNA strand
    breaks are nonsignificantly decreased. The sufficient
    antioxidative status (overthreshold values of natural
    essential antioxidants, which mean a reduced risk of free
    radical disease) is crucial in free radical defense. Intake
    of protective food commodities (fruit, vegetables, dark
    grain products, grain sprouts, oil seeds) is significantly
    higher in vegetarians. Alternative nutrition subjects have a
    significantly increased plasma levels of vitamin C, vitamin
    E, beta-carotene with high incidence of overthreshold values
    (92% vs. 42% - vitamin C, 67% vs. 33% - vitamin E, 67% vs.
    17% - beta-carotene). There is recorded a significant
    inverse linear correlation between values of DNA strand
    breaks + oxidized purines and vitamin C or beta-carotene
    levels (p<0.01, p<0.05). Vegetarian diet is significantly
    more rich source of antioxidants. The results of reduced
    endogenous DNA damage and higher antioxidative status in
    vegetarians document that a correct vegetarian nutrition
    might represent an effective cancer prevention.

    PMID: 15004656 [PubMed - in process]

    --------------
    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  6. markd

    markd Guest

    Ah, expirment done, reposting makes no difference, then why
    does he persist?

  7. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

  8. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: DNA damage / antioxidative status / vegetarians

    Neoplasma. 2004;51(1):30-3. Links

    Oxidative DNA damage in relation to nutrition.

    Krajcovicova-Kudlackova M, Dusinska M.

    Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine;, Bratislava,
    833 01 Slovak Republic. [email protected]

    Oxidative DNA damage in humans could arise also from
    incorrect nutritional habit and life style. DNA strand
    breaks with apurinic/apyrimidinic sites, oxidized purines
    and oxidized pyrimidines were assessed in 24 subjectively
    healthy vegetarians (plant food, dairy products, eggs) and
    compared with 24 non-vegetarians (traditional diet, general
    population). DNA strand breaks + oxidized purines are
    significantly reduced in vegetarians (p<0.05), DNA strand
    breaks are nonsignificantly decreased. The sufficient
    antioxidative status (overthreshold values of natural
    essential antioxidants, which mean a reduced risk of free
    radical disease) is crucial in free radical defense. Intake
    of protective food commodities (fruit, vegetables, dark
    grain products, grain sprouts, oil seeds) is significantly
    higher in vegetarians. Alternative nutrition subjects have a
    significantly increased plasma levels of vitamin C, vitamin
    E, beta-carotene with high incidence of overthreshold values
    (92% vs. 42% - vitamin C, 67% vs. 33% - vitamin E, 67% vs.
    17% - beta-carotene). There is recorded a significant
    inverse linear correlation between values of DNA strand
    breaks + oxidized purines and vitamin C or beta-carotene
    levels (p<0.01, p<0.05). Vegetarian diet is significantly
    more rich source of antioxidants. The results of reduced
    endogenous DNA damage and higher antioxidative status in
    vegetarians document that a correct vegetarian nutrition
    might represent an effective cancer prevention.

    PMID: 15004656 [PubMed - in process]

    --------------
    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  9. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "He keeps going until you give up."
    >
    > It varies, sometimes he doesn't and sometimes he does. My
    > purpose, and he knows it, was to make the point that for
    > him to merely repeat a post as a responce to info
    > questioning his desired interpretation is an empty
    > gesture; believe me he knows it.

    Oh, it's well established that he has absolutely no
    conception of the content of that which he posts. Trouble
    is, as he feels these postings are something of a religous
    crusade, any attempt at reasoned behaviour is futile.

    MB

  10. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: Re: DNA damage / antioxidative status /
    > >vegetarians From: "Manky Badger"
    > >[email protected] Date: 3/17/2004 3:40 PM
    > >Mountain Standard Time Message-id:
    > ><[email protected]>
    > >

    > ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >net.com...
    > >> "He keeps going until you give up."
    > >>
    > >> It varies, sometimes he doesn't and sometimes he does.
    > >> My purpose, and
    he
    > >> knows it, was to make the point that for him to merely
    > >> repeat a post as
    > >> responce to info questioning his desired interpretation
    > >> is an empty gesture; believe me he knows it.
    > >
    > >Oh, it's well established that he has absolutely no
    > >conception of the content of that which he posts.
    >
    > Is that .. right ..
    >
    > YOU are the one who 'claims' .. ability .. experienced
    > MEDICAL .. ability
    ..

    > YOU .. prove .. you don't HAVE the .. ability .. and THAT
    > is fkd up .. man
    ..

    > So let me advise .. YOU ..
    >
    > Stay the fk out of the medical newsgroups .. or .. DON'T
    > .. attempt to
    convince
    > people by 'claiming' .. credentials that in light of your
    > postings ..
    PROVE ..
    > otherwise ..
    >
    > Dig .. ? Understand .. ? Comprendez .. ?
    >
    > Since you and markd can't seem to understand simple
    > medical articles ..
    let ..
    > me .. explain .. it .. to .. you ..
    >
    > The medical study simply states with no innuendo no
    > implications .. that
    ..
    > simply .. vegetarians have higher antioxidant values in
    > their bodies ..
    >
    > Simple .. as .. that ..

    Tommy, we're talking about you, not to you !

    Dig .. ? Understand .. ? Comprendez .. ?

  11. Once upon a time, our fellow Manky Badger rambled on about
    "Re: DNA damage / antioxidative status / vegetarians." Our
    champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts,
    thusly ...

    >Tommy, we're talking about you, not to you !

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

    That is a good one. :)