Do any bicyclists out there use a bicycle horn?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tgleeman2, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. Tgleeman2

    Tgleeman2 Guest

    Hi Bike Techies,

    Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?

    Right now, I am using two, 6 tone, car alarms, set on klaxon and whelp for about 120dB of noise. The
    sound penetrates a car with windows rolled up and air conditioner going. It even scares away the
    local pit bull.

    I'm not "invisible" anymore.

    Ride safely.

    Tom Gleeman San Diego, CA

    Tags:

  2. Greg P.

    Greg P. Guest

    "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?

    Lol no. Do you have baseball cards stuck between your spokes too and plastic flyers on the ends of
    your handlebars? =P

  3. On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:25:12 GMT, "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Bike Techies,
    >
    >Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?

    Yes, I was born with it.

    A solid "HEY!" has worked well when needed.

    Barry

  4. Whenever I have to alert a car or pedestrian in an emergency situation, I holler. I guarantee you
    that my voice will penetrate a car window or freeze a pedestrian in his tracks. Normally I only
    need my bell mounted on the handlebars. Especially if I slow down a little and give pedestrians
    time to react.

    --
    Perre

  5. tgleeman2 wrote:

    > Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?

    A loud "YO!" in my deepest voice. This hasn't failed me yet, even with hot shots in suped up
    Honda's with fart-sound exhaust, distracted morons in SUVs and overworked cab drivers on the
    streets of New York.

    Andrew

  6. Tgleeman2

    Tgleeman2 Guest

    Hi Greg,

    How do you warn a car off from crushing you to death, in that obviously clean looking bike with no
    safety equipment? Yell? In *some* states and Canada a bike horn is required, just like lights,
    reflectors and a helmet. You do wear a helmet don't you?

    Most electronic horns except mine and the pneumatic Air Zound are simply not loud enough to go
    through glass, the ambient noise of traffic and distractions inside a vehicle.

    I usually blast a car *before* a possible accident occurs so I use my horn as a preventative measure
    not as a punitive one.

    So far my bicycle horn has saved my life a few times.

    Sorry to say, Greg, I don't have baseball cards stuck between my spokes or plastic flyers on the
    ends of my handlebars, but if I thought those things would help me stay alive, I'd put them on my
    bicycle too.

    Keep safe.

    Tom

    "Greg P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    >
    > Lol no. Do you have baseball cards stuck between your spokes too and
    plastic
    > flyers on the ends of your handlebars? =P

  7. Trg

    Trg Guest

    "Greg P." <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news:
    %[email protected]
    > "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    >
    > Lol no. Do you have baseball cards stuck between your spokes too and
    plastic
    > flyers on the ends of your handlebars? =P

    Baseball cards? Don't be silly, CDs. Very Shiny!

  8. W K

    W K Guest

    "Greg P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    >
    > Lol no. Do you have baseball cards stuck between your spokes too and
    plastic
    > flyers on the ends of your handlebars? =P

    Strange attitude. You know bikes are just kids toys anyway.

    I have no airzound, but would really like to see whether its able to make people drop(or throw) the
    cell phones that suck their mental capacity dry so they wander aimlessly into the road.

  9. Tim Escobedo

    Tim Escobedo Guest

    "Greg P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<%[email protected]>...
    > "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    >
    > Lol no. Do you have baseball cards stuck between your spokes too and plastic flyers on the ends of
    > your handlebars? =P

    Don't laugh... I actually did this in a area full of pedestrians unaccustomed to looking before they
    cross the street. I figure many folks rely on audio clues to detect the presence of automobiles,
    much more than they should, especially with the nearly silent zero emission cars now. The card does
    work in this context. Plus, it makes a good conversation piece.

    I've been seriously considering rolling my own electronic horn. Currently I rely on my unusually
    loud Road Runner "Meep! Meep!" voice, which works well for all but the newer sealed up vehicles.

  10. Greg P.

    Greg P. Guest

    I was teasing you, calm down =P

    I have a (too expensive) horn (well more like alarm system) on my road bike as well. In fact it just
    saved my butt the other day when this stereotypical pitbull (which spiked collar and all) can
    running after me a couple blocks from my home. I hit the horn and that dog skidded to a stop and ran
    away whelping, it hurt my ears too. It was my first time using it. I really, really need to adjust
    the db's setting on it. But if it wasn't for that horn I would have a missing shoe or pedal in the
    jaws of that foul beast =(

    The only problem is that my horn/alarm device takes up my bottle cage space. I need to find
    something smaller that just fits on the headset and is mild enough for everyday use. Any
    ideas anyone?

    "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Hi Greg,
    |
    | How do you warn a car off from crushing you to death, in that obviously clean looking bike with no
    | safety equipment? Yell? In *some* states and Canada a bike horn is required, just like lights,
    | reflectors and a helmet. You do wear a helmet don't you?
    |
    | Most electronic horns except mine and the pneumatic Air Zound are simply
    not
    | loud enough to go through glass, the ambient noise of traffic and distractions inside a vehicle.
    |
    | I usually blast a car *before* a possible accident occurs so I use my horn as a preventative
    | measure not as a punitive one.
    |
    | So far my bicycle horn has saved my life a few times.
    |
    | Sorry to say, Greg, I don't have baseball cards stuck between my spokes or plastic flyers on the
    | ends of my handlebars, but if I thought those things would help me stay alive, I'd put them on my
    | bicycle too.
    |
    | Keep safe.
    |
    | Tom
    |
    | "Greg P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:%xc[email protected]...
    | > "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > | Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    | >
    | > Lol no. Do you have baseball cards stuck between your spokes too and
    | plastic
    | > flyers on the ends of your handlebars? =P

  11. Greg P.

    Greg P. Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | I have no airzound, but would really like to see whether its able to make people drop(or throw)
    | the cell phones that suck their mental capacity dry
    so
    | they wander aimlessly into the road.

    If I'm in the mood I just scream "OH SHIT AHHH!" when I'm a little ways behind them and they jump. I
    ride by and say "Good day". I don't have a horn on my mtb so I have to resort to this =)

  12. tgleeman2 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >lights, reflectors and a helmet. You do wear a helmet don't you?

    I think I'd prefer to invest in safety devices that have not been proven ineffective.

    >So far my bicycle horn has saved my life a few times.

    Then you must be a remarkably reckless rider, since those of us who ride without horns appear to
    have failed to get into even one such situation and been killed as a result.

    [Note; I don't actually disagree with the decision to mount a horn; I mounted a pneumatic Air Zound
    in Cambridge, but gave up on it because I was usually too busy with the brakes to use the horn; but
    "saved my life" is pure hyperbole.]

  13. Ken Bessler

    Ken Bessler Guest

    "Tim Escobedo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Greg P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<%[email protected]>...
    > > "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > | Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    > >
    > > Lol no. Do you have baseball cards stuck between your spokes too and
    plastic
    > > flyers on the ends of your handlebars? =P
    >
    > Don't laugh... I actually did this in a area full of pedestrians unaccustomed to looking before
    > they cross the street. I figure many folks rely on audio clues to detect the presence of
    > automobiles, much more than they should, especially with the nearly silent zero emission cars now.
    > The card does work in this context. Plus, it makes a good conversation piece.
    >
    > I've been seriously considering rolling my own electronic horn. Currently I rely on my unusually
    > loud Road Runner "Meep! Meep!" voice, which works well for all but the newer sealed up vehicles.

    IMHO you can't rely on sound to do the job. How may vehicles get hit by trains? Train horns are
    profanely loud. Heck, I've even got a video of a train blasting through a station at better than 60
    with the engeneer standing on the horn. Still, this girl walks right in front of the engine - SPLAT!

    Forget the horn - keep your hands on the brakes instead. I do that and yell "COMING THROUGH!!!",
    ready for an emergency stop effort because I count on people doing stupid things.

  14. Don Holly

    Don Holly Guest

    In my experience, when a dog is whelping she's not interested in chasing bicycles anyway.

    Greg P. wrote:

    > from my home. I hit the horn and that dog skidded to a stop and ran away whelping, it hurt my ears
    > too. It was my first time using it. I really,

  15. B.C. Cletta

    B.C. Cletta Guest

    > Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?

    i used the old Freon powered boat horn for years. the canister lasted me 9-12 months. i
    hose-clamped a water-bottle cage to the top of the fork leg, easily reached, of the commuter
    sled. i tried the (then) newer propane powered ones and they never worked as good the
    ozone-depleting one. i also had problems w/ the valve sticking & pissing away an 6 buck can. i
    tried a 'Zounds', the metal bottle one, & thought it sucked. damn you, now i'm time-warping back
    to spooking jaywalkers, busdrivers, cabbies, & other catatonic asses and remembering the echo of
    it off of the downtown buildings.

  16. Paul Floyd

    Paul Floyd Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:21:43 GMT, Per Elmsäter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Whenever I have to alert a car or pedestrian in an emergency situation, I holler. I guarantee you
    > that my voice will penetrate a car window or freeze a pedestrian in his tracks. Normally I only
    > need my bell mounted on the handlebars. Especially if I slow down a little and give pedestrians
    > time to react.

    I think that in many countries, a bell is a legal requirement, and excessively noisy horns
    are illegal.

    Having said that, I usually shout. Not that it did me much good last Wednesday, cycling home on a
    cycle path with a pavement/sidewalk next to it - 3 pedestrians walking abreast on the cycle path
    (none on the pavement) - the one closest to me decided to try to jump out of the way at the very
    last moment, except that he didn't go far enough and landed right in front of me. When I got up I
    REALLY started shouting!

    A bientot Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth) Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

  17. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >So far my bicycle horn has saved my life a few times.

    Devil's advocate observation: If it really has saved your life a few times, you may be doomed in
    the long run.

    Rationale: nothing can be 100% effective - horn included - and if you're placing yourself in
    situations where the horn has already saved your life several times, it's just a matter of time
    before it fails.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  18. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "Tim Escobedo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]gle.com...
    > "Greg P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<%[email protected]>...
    > > "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > | Does anybody out there use a bicycle horn? What kind?
    > >
    > > Lol no. Do you have baseball cards stuck between your spokes too and
    plastic
    > > flyers on the ends of your handlebars? =P
    >
    > Don't laugh... I actually did this in a area full of pedestrians unaccustomed to looking before
    > they cross the street. I figure many folks rely on audio clues to detect the presence of
    > automobiles, much more than they should, especially with the nearly silent zero emission cars now.
    > The card does work in this context. Plus, it makes a good conversation piece.
    >
    > I've been seriously considering rolling my own electronic horn. Currently I rely on my unusually
    > loud Road Runner "Meep! Meep!" voice, which works well for all but the newer sealed up vehicles.

    I'm looking into a cheap electronics kit to make a horn. I am getting a 12V SLA battery to drive my
    lights, and thought at the same time a horn might be good. You can get a cheap 12V amplifier
    circuit, and I want to try butchering one of my kids old toys - my daughter has a stuffed duck that
    goes "QUACK Quack quack... QUACK Quack quack". If I could soup that up to about 100 decibels it's
    sure to get some attention.

    Tim

  19. Tim Escobedo

    Tim Escobedo Guest

    "Ken Bessler" <k[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Tim Escobedo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Greg P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<%[email protected]>...
    > > > "tgleeman2" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Lol no. Do you have baseball cards stuck between your spokes too and
    > plastic
    > > > flyers on the ends of your handlebars? =P
    > >
    > > Don't laugh... I actually did this in a area full of pedestrians unaccustomed to looking before
    > > they cross the street. I figure many folks rely on audio clues to detect the presence of
    > > automobiles, much more than they should, especially with the nearly silent zero emission cars
    > > now. The card does work in this context. Plus, it makes a good conversation piece.
    > >
    > > I've been seriously considering rolling my own electronic horn. Currently I rely on my unusually
    > > loud Road Runner "Meep! Meep!" voice, which works well for all but the newer sealed up vehicles.
    >
    > IMHO you can't rely on sound to do the job. How may vehicles get hit by trains? Train horns are
    > profanely loud. Heck, I've even got a video of a train blasting through a station at better
    > than 60 with the engeneer standing on the horn. Still, this girl walks right in front of the
    > engine - SPLAT!
    >
    > Forget the horn - keep your hands on the brakes instead. I do that and yell "COMING THROUGH!!!",
    > ready for an emergency stop effort because I count on people doing stupid things.

    Even though I do it, I find the loud shout often startles pedestrians, particularly if they weren't
    aware of your presence, and they're just as liable to jump in front of you in such a situation out
    of confusion. This was why the card-in-the-spoke trick worked so well, pedestrians had a audible
    heads up to the presence of *something* nearby, as opposed to being suddenly "accosted" in the rear
    by a undetected silent bicyclist hollering "Hey!"

    Actually, I used a sheet of plastic rather than a actual baseball card. Of course, I suspect most
    adults would not be too keen on reverting to this idea.

  20. Greg P.

    Greg P. Guest

    "Tim Escobedo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Actually, I used a sheet of plastic rather than a actual baseball card. Of course, I suspect most
    | adults would not be too keen on reverting to this idea.

    Why not just throw on some squeaky training wheels to get their attention AHAHAHA sorry