Do Any Of You Guys Run?(differences Between Running And Cycling)

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I've been into running for 7 years and cycling for 5 months. I'm decent at both and like each for different reasons. In my opinion running advantages are

Running
Preperation-I can wake up, decide to go on a run and be on the road in less than a minute. I use to put a pair of shoes next to my bed in the morning and wear shorts to sleep all summer long.

Time Efficiency-When you are limited in time, running is unrivaled in its ability for a solid cardio workout. In 35-40 minutes I can do a 5 miler and be drenched in sweat.

Practicality-When I run, I feel like I'm doing something that I can do in any circumstance. You will not always have your bike with you, you'll have your feet.

Not anyone can run-Lets face it, some simply cant run do to weight or joint issues. Nothing will make someone trying to get healthier quit more than shin splints or knee pain from running.

Cycling

Preparation time-It isn't that much, but at least 5-15 minutes to pump,fill water bottles, check components, put on gear,etc...Sometimes in the early morning before work, all I have is that 20 minutes.

Easier on the body-It took me a good solid 2-3 years to build my legs and find the right footwear not to get shin splints
from running. In the 5 months of cycling so far, I only have been breaking down and rebuilding muscle. I haven't had any setbacks due to injury(yet anyways)

Sense of Adventure-I use to feel adventurous going on a 5 mile run...With cycling, I have seen my county like I've never seen before. When I rode my first 50 miler, I saw the hudson river, a bear, mountains,etc...Things that in the past I would think would require a vehicle to see.

Most people can cycle-Some may be horrible and unskilled, but most can learn how to ride and build up a fitness base. It should be the preferred choice for people who are older,overweight or just aren't use to running.

Skill-Anyone can ride, but it takes skill to ride at your best. Running takes far less skill(even though I believe it to be more straining).

What are some differences you see between running and cycling?Do any of you like to run?

Reactions: haleylx4
I used to run but only about to 3 miles. I found it totally senseless to "jog" 5 miles or more. I didn't get any benefits form lollygagging around while running/jogging. I had to run 3 miles as hard as I could to build fitness. I also played a lot of ball and tournaments so I did a lot of sprinting which is probably why "jogging' was a waste of time imo.

I discovered cycling and enjoyed it much more. I dealt with minor shin splints but with cycling, no problems so that made it that much more enjoyable. I didn't do enough running to damage my knees so I think it was a smart move to convert. Not that it was planned, just that I enjoyed cycling much more and it saved my knees I believe.

As far as time preparation? I can be out the door and on the road in 5 minutes if I like. Good pump (Lezyne floor pump, easy connection and pump action takes about a minute to pump both tires since they are both almost always up to pressure anyway. Most it takes is 3 strokes. Sometimes I just skip the front one if it feels right to the touch.

As far as checking components? Never had to worry about it. I keep them finely tuned. I build my own wheels and bikes so I know they are true and tension is proper, brakes are always centered and shifting is always crisp. There is a reason I won't let the bike shops touch my bikes, they suck! :lol:

I used to run but it never became something I enjoyed the way cycling did. Every step I'm working so hard not to let myself quite, I'm just not naturally inclined towards running at all. I still do it, because like you pointed out it's a quick and easy way to get some cardio in, and sometimes if you're in a pretty area it's not so bad.

I don't have much in the way of bike gear and I usually don't pack a lot with me so the preparation time isn't really a factor to me.

Riding suits me much better though and I feel more comfortable, and can work harder, on a bike them I can on foot. I like to be able to cover more ground too. It's exciting to me that I can go out for an afternoon ride and cover 50 miles rather than the 3 I would do on foot.

sunshiney said:
I don't have much in the way of bike gear and I usually don't pack a lot with me so the preparation time isn't really a factor to me.
Brings up another point! I have all 3 bikes I ride prepared at all times. Each has it's own pump, own spare tubes, seat pack and such so there is never any swapping stuff. Just hop on and go!

Plus I live at the base of the mountains so I can do a 10 miler and get a great workout. A 3 mile, 3-5 % consistent grade with a 10% at the top. Couple of good efforts on the climb and I'm good! B)

sunshiney said:
I used to run but it never became something I enjoyed the way cycling did. Every step I'm working so hard not to let myself quite, I'm just not naturally inclined towards running at all. I still do it, because like you pointed out it's a quick and easy way to get some cardio in, and sometimes if you're in a pretty area it's not so bad.

Riding suits me much better though and I feel more comfortable, and can work harder, on a bike them I can on foot. I like to be able to cover more ground too. It's exciting to me that I can go out for an afternoon ride and cover 50 miles rather than the 3 I would do on foot.
I will concede a few points not mentioned above.

1.I like running, but i'd say at least 20-25% of the time it can seem like a chore and something to check off a list. Not sure if its the "shinny new toy effect", but I've enjoyed 100% of my rides(even when I had to ride 15 miles home on a flat) these 5 months.

2.As mentioned above, running is a more efficient exercise when you don't have all the time in the world. At the same time,cycling will give you a better workout if you have the time. I can cycle for hours, but my 5 mile jog is over in 35-40 minutes.

I do both, I prefer to cycle as i find this more enjoyable and I get to go out and try new routes and as long as I have the time I usually cycle approx 40-50 miles on a ride.

Running is my 'go to' excercise when I don't have time to gym. I find it a more intense/quicker workout that gets the heart pumping and the body sweating.

I am in training at the moment for both running and cycling events (10k and 1/2 marathon run and a 261 mile cycle across death valley) so I do a bit of both each week to keep me on track.

I don't run no. I did try it for a time but I found that I much prefer cycling over running.

Running just did not appeal to me I suppose.

It really depends for me - sometimes I feel like a run and sometimes like cycling. If it is a clear, nice day, I prefer a long distance cycling exercise, while, at night, I really like running. I also have to go longer when I cycle tog get the same type of endorphin rush afterwards, and the sense of being in the zone comes easier for me when I am running.

Oh, I forgot.

The only time I run now is if I'm late for the bus or for an appointment haha!

I hardly ever run any more but when I was in Primary school i had to run five kilometers to school every morning. I got so honed that even today years later, I hardly have any body fat. I'd have to admit that I've never cycled far enough to think of it as exercise. I'd think that you'd need to double the distance you run when cycling to negate the bikes mechanical advantage.

glockman said:
. I'd think that you'd need to double the distance you run when cycling to negate the bikes mechanical advantage.

Really depends on what kind of cycling you are talking about. I've been up a local trail called Potato Mtn on my MTB. Steep trail with 10%-23% grades. I've had runners run right be me like I was standing still. I know a lot of riders who never make it up! :lol:

mtb2.jpg

mtb1.jpg

Mr. Beanz said:
Really depends on what kind of cycling you are talking about. I've been up a local trail called Potato Mtn on my MTB. Steep trail with 10%-23% grades. I've had runners run right be me like I was standing still. I know a lot of riders who never make it up! :lol:
I can attest to that. For a decent runner, a grade of that margin would maybe take you between 5-20% longer than on flat surface. On a bike, that type of gradient will cut your speed to less than half. Your body can adapt to grade much easier than your body on a bike.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Uawadall said:
I can attest to that. For a decent runner, a grade of that margin would maybe take you between 5-20% longer than on flat surface. On a bike, that type of gradient will cut your speed to less than half. Your body can adapt to grade much easier than your body on a bike.
I've had hikers and runners say, " I got to give you credit for that, I couldn't do it on a bike!". Kind of makes all the suffering worth while! :lol:

AtlantaSports said:
As is the same with most Americans!
Ooh that's a low blow there ;)

On the subject of running, I've heard it can damage your joints over time running on pavements, but does the same thing happen if you run on grass instead?

Most of the running I did was back in my high school and college years. I was actually a far better long distance runner than I was for short sprints. I've actually got pretty good stamina which has also aided me with my cycling. The are plenty of runners and joggers in my area but it's really not something I enjoy partaking in. Cycling is a lot more fun and I feel that it meets my physical fitness needs.

I use to run only when I was a lot younger, and I averaged about 4 to 5 miles a day, and on weekends I may run up to 12. Then a bit later I combined running with cycling, but running was becoming increasingly boring, so after about a year of doing both I stopped running altogether. Now due to age my knees don't take well to running but are just happy as can be riding a bike.

Running does burn more calories in a shorter distance than cycling but running is a lot harder on your joints, running is cheaper because all your really need is a good pair of running shoes, but cycling is more fun because you can actually go to another town and be back in the time it would take you to run to the grocery store and back!

I used to run a lot when I was younger, its great for keeping fit but it can be a bit hard on the ankles when you're older. Cycling has none of the wear and tear on your joints and ligaments, but its much more beneficial to the upper body and can be far more strenuous on the legs if you want to give them a good workout. My experience is that running on any hard surface is bad for your knees and your joints generally and a softer surface is far better for you, I would say that grass is my favourite surface, nice and springy.