do bikes depreciate?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Callistus Valerius, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. Vee

    Vee Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Callistus Valerius wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Sorry I missed this bit in my other reply.

    > > > Way wrong. Closer $500 than $5000.

    > > -----------
    > > Then the market is wrong. It's worth more to me, as even as a commuter
    > > bike, than to give some stranger a gift. I wouldn't even go below $1800,

    > http://www.bikeiowa.com/asp/forum/t...+Classifieds+(Buy,+Sell,+Trade)&M=True&S=True
    >
    > Here is a fellow "bicyclist" who thinks the same as you. Actually his
    > thinking is even more unordinary. He wants $1800 for the frame/fork
    > only. It is a 2005 Madone 5.9. So given that this is a newer
    > frame/fork than your 2000 5200, but it is just the frame/fork, whereas
    > yours is a complete bike, the $1800 may be about right. Maybe even a
    > bit low since the eventual buyer of yours can ride it immediately. No
    > messing about building the bike up.

    The Madone frameset is worth a lot more than the 5200 because it's what
    the pro's are riding. It's light and stiff and shiny, and has a
    dramatic name. As for the complete vs. frameset difference: old parts
    aren't worth much more than no parts, unless it's that Nuovo Record
    stuff that old timers compulsively hoard in their basements. And $1800
    is not "about right." That's laughable.

    -Vee

  2. Vee wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:

    > > > -----------
    > > > Then the market is wrong. It's worth more to me, as even as a commuter
    > > > bike, than to give some stranger a gift. I wouldn't even go below $1800,

    > > http://www.bikeiowa.com/asp/forum/t...+Classifieds+(Buy,+Sell,+Trade)&M=True&S=True
    > >
    > > Here is a fellow "bicyclist" who thinks the same as you. Actually his
    > > thinking is even more unordinary. He wants $1800 for the frame/fork
    > > only. It is a 2005 Madone 5.9. So given that this is a newer
    > > frame/fork than your 2000 5200, but it is just the frame/fork, whereas
    > > yours is a complete bike, the $1800 may be about right. Maybe even a
    > > bit low since the eventual buyer of yours can ride it immediately. No
    > > messing about building the bike up.

    > The Madone frameset is worth a lot more than the 5200 because it's what
    > the pro's are riding. It's light and stiff and shiny, and has a
    > dramatic name.

    I have to ask this. Do you really think Madone is a dramatic name?
    Kind of reminds me of Leonardo da Vinci's Madonna. Not exactly the
    image I would wnat to associate with a race bike. But whatever trips
    your trigger.

    I see you snipped my message and missed the important parts. Oh well.
    If you had read a bit further you would have seen my comments about it
    being odd the person selling the frame did not have a SOLD comment on
    it within minutes or at least hours of posting the ad. Please read
    better next time.

    As for the complete vs. frameset difference: old parts
    > aren't worth much more than no parts, unless it's that Nuovo Record
    > stuff that old timers compulsively hoard in their basements. And $1800
    > is not "about right." That's laughable.
    >
    > -Vee

  3. Vee

    Vee Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Vee wrote:
    > > [email protected] wrote:

    > > > http://www.bikeiowa.com/asp/forum/t...+Classifieds+(Buy,+Sell,+Trade)&M=True&S=True
    > > >
    > > > Here is a fellow "bicyclist" who thinks the same as you. Actually his
    > > > thinking is even more unordinary. He wants $1800 for the frame/fork
    > > > only. It is a 2005 Madone 5.9. So given that this is a newer
    > > > frame/fork than your 2000 5200, but it is just the frame/fork, whereas
    > > > yours is a complete bike, the $1800 may be about right. Maybe even a
    > > > bit low since the eventual buyer of yours can ride it immediately. No
    > > > messing about building the bike up.

    > > The Madone frameset is worth a lot more than the 5200 because it's what
    > > the pro's are riding. It's light and stiff and shiny, and has a
    > > dramatic name.

    > I have to ask this. Do you really think Madone is a dramatic name?
    > Kind of reminds me of Leonardo da Vinci's Madonna. Not exactly the
    > image I would wnat to associate with a race bike. But whatever trips
    > your trigger.

    It's more dramatic than "Madonna." I guess "Madone" sounds heavy and
    evocative to me. I just googled it:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=madonne
    I wonder if that's what Trek had in mind? In any case, it's more
    dramatic than "5200," right?

    > I see you snipped my message and missed the important parts. Oh well.
    > If you had read a bit further you would have seen my comments about it
    > being odd the person selling the frame did not have a SOLD comment on
    > it within minutes or at least hours of posting the ad. Please read
    > better next time.

    I read your quip about the asking price on the Madone. But you also
    said the Madone owner's thinking was more unordinary than the OP's.
    That's what I take issue with - the OP's valuation is at least as silly
    as the Madone owner's.

    -Vee (quibble quibble quibble)

    > As for the complete vs. frameset difference: old parts
    > > aren't worth much more than no parts, unless it's that Nuovo Record
    > > stuff that old timers compulsively hoard in their basements. And $1800
    > > is not "about right." That's laughable.
    > >
    > > -Vee

  4. For a modern carbon bike, once the trek warranty is gone, the frame
    imho is worth very little. And, the trek warranty does not transfer
    when the frame is sold. The frame WILL fail, it's not a matter of if,
    but how soon.

    So, with an older carbon trek, you're basically asking how much is a
    used grouppo six years out of date worth ?? Not much, try starting at
    half of the value of today's grouppo.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  5. jasong

    jasong New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    This is the post I was waiting to read: I don't think I would ever buy a used carbon bike. You never know how the original owner treated it, if it had been knocked over on accident, gone done with no visible damage, etc. Carbon to me represents invisible catastrophic failures and with no warranty, I'd prefer having a cheap Leader frame and move the components over to that. So value it at perhaps $100 for the frame, and 1/2 new gruppo value for the rest. That $500 figure sounds about right. Look at it as a similarly equipped Ultegra bike from 2000, and good (sale, no tax) prices back then would have been around $6-800.