Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Do cables come with ferrules? / aheadset "upgrade"? / Chainring Q

Started by Mike Beauchamp · · Last activity · 5 posts · 675 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 May 2004
Last activity
19 May 2004
Original author
Mike Beauchamp
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
675
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A pretty simple one..
    If I buy new cables and housings, do they come with ferrules that I can use?

    Also.. I'm in need of a new headset. Threaded 1 1/8". I've noticed that
    people only seem to carry threadless headsets. Because of this, I'm sort of
    considering upgrading to threadless. Of course, that would mean I need a new
    fork (I'm just using a chromo generic fork right now anyways). I already
    have an extra threadless style stem the right size to replace my original
    one.
    But, buying a new fork seems like a huge waste of money just to switch to a
    new headset standard that doesnt' even seem better.. it would only be for
    the availability of replacement parts I guess.

    Lastly, I have replace the chainrings on my bike and the cassette (and
    derailleur jockey wheels and chain). They are a few years in need of
    replacing. Will any chainrings that fit on my crank work? It is an HG50 7
    speed setup. Is it cheaper just to get a new crank?

    Peace

    --
    Mike Beauchamp
    http://www.therevox.com - custom electro-theremins and stuff.
    http://www.mikebeauchamp.com - mike's personal site.

  2. Quoted message said:

    If I buy new cables and housings, do they come with ferrules that I can
    use?

    Not always. Ask before you buy

    Quoted message said:

    But, buying a new fork seems like a huge waste of money just to switch to
    a
    new headset standard that doesnt' even seem better.. it would only be for
    the availability of replacement parts I guess.

    I agree, a new fork would not be necessary. Headsets last years with proper
    care.

    "Mike Beauchamp" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    A pretty simple one..
    If I buy new cables and housings, do they come with ferrules that I can
    use?

    Also.. I'm in need of a new headset. Threaded 1 1/8". I've noticed that
    people only seem to carry threadless headsets. Because of this, I'm sort
    of
    considering upgrading to threadless. Of course, that would mean I need a
    new
    fork (I'm just using a chromo generic fork right now anyways). I already
    have an extra threadless style stem the right size to replace my original
    one.
    But, buying a new fork seems like a huge waste of money just to switch to
    a
    new headset standard that doesnt' even seem better.. it would only be for
    the availability of replacement parts I guess.

  3. Thanks jeff..
    The reason why I have to replace this headset is that when "somebody" was
    swapping out the rock shox and putting the original fork back on, they
    forgot the bottom dust seal. So now (even with a neoprene cover), [censored] is
    getting into that bottom bearing race. This "somebody" also managed to lose
    the seal by the time he/she noticed..

    There's some decent deals occasionally on threadless forks and headsets
    though on ebay.. maybe I'll look into that as well.

    --
    Mike Beauchamp
    http://www.therevox.com - custom electro-theremins and stuff.
    http://www.mikebeauchamp.com - mike's personal site.

    "JeffK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If I buy new cables and housings, do they come with ferrules that I can
    use?

    Not always. Ask before you buy

    Quoted message said:

    But, buying a new fork seems like a huge waste of money just to switch


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a
    new headset standard that doesnt' even seem better.. it would only be


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the availability of replacement parts I guess.

    I agree, a new fork would not be necessary. Headsets last years with


    proper

    Quoted message said:

    care.

    "Mike Beauchamp" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    A pretty simple one..
    If I buy new cables and housings, do they come with ferrules that I can
    use?

    Also.. I'm in need of a new headset. Threaded 1 1/8". I've noticed that
    people only seem to carry threadless headsets. Because of this, I'm sort
    of
    considering upgrading to threadless. Of course, that would mean I need a
    new
    fork (I'm just using a chromo generic fork right now anyways). I already
    have an extra threadless style stem the right size to replace my


    original

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    one.
    But, buying a new fork seems like a huge waste of money just to switch


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a
    new headset standard that doesnt' even seem better.. it would only be


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the availability of replacement parts I guess.

  4. Mike-<< If I buy new cables and housings, do they come with ferrules that I can
    use? >><BR><BR>

    Sometimes the cheezy steel ones. We sell brass ones for a wee bit of $.

    I can get ya 1 1/8inch NOS Campagnolo MTB headsets. Really nice but not cheap.

    You can also get a 1 1/8inch quill adapter, goes into a threaded fork, then use
    a threadless stem-

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  5. Mike Beauchamp said:

    Thanks jeff..
    The reason why I have to replace this headset is that when "somebody" was
    swapping out the rock shox and putting the original fork back on, they
    forgot the bottom dust seal. So now (even with a neoprene cover), [censored] is
    getting into that bottom bearing race. This "somebody" also managed to lose
    the seal by the time he/she noticed..

    Quoted message said:

    There's some decent deals occasionally on threadless forks and headsets
    though on ebay.. maybe I'll look into that as well.

    A few 1-1/8" threaded headsets still exist. Any bike shop can
    probably order one. If you're willing to go the ebay route
    you can find a NOS one there and it shouldn't be very expensive.
    Seems excessive to replace fork, HS and stem.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.