Do carbon fiber soled shoes "wear out?"

terry morrow

Guest
i have some diadora statos pro carbon fiber soled road shoes that i've
used for about 4 years, riding about 2500 miles per year. i've
recently developed what i think will turn out to be foot arch
problems. my question is: does the carbon fiber in the sole over time
lose it stiffness such that a now-too- flimsy sole might be the caue
of my arch problem?
any input appreciated.
regards, terry

terry morrow wrote:

> i have some diadora statos pro carbon fiber soled road shoes that i've
> used for about 4 years, riding about 2500 miles per year. i've
> recently developed what i think will turn out to be foot arch
> problems. my question is: does the carbon fiber in the sole over time
> lose it stiffness such that a now-too- flimsy sole might be the caue
> of my arch problem?

I doubt it. If anything, a carbon reinforced sole would be more durable than
other materials typically used. However, the uppers may stretch out over time,
which can certainly change the fit. Don't forget your feet can change too.

Matt O.

terry morrow wrote:
> i have some diadora statos pro carbon fiber soled road shoes that i've
> used for about 4 years, riding about 2500 miles per year. i've
> recently developed what i think will turn out to be foot arch
> problems. my question is: does the carbon fiber in the sole over time
> lose it stiffness such that a now-too- flimsy sole might be the caue
> of my arch problem?

Well, is the sole indeed "now-too-flimsy"? Can you feel it give/bend where
it used to be rock solid?

If not, then perhaps the *insole* has worn out; or, like the other poster
said, maybe the uppers have stretched or something, affecting fit.

By the way, both arches or just one giving you problems?

Bill "flat foot" S.

"terry morrow" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...
> i have some diadora statos pro carbon fiber soled road shoes that i've
> used for about 4 years, riding about 2500 miles per year. i've
> recently developed what i think will turn out to be foot arch
> problems. my question is: does the carbon fiber in the sole over time
> lose it stiffness such that a now-too- flimsy sole might be the caue
> of my arch problem?
> any input appreciated.
> regards, terry

I don't think that's a problem. My Diadora's wore out after around nine
seasons, but it was the fabric, the stitching and the velcro that died. I
wish they had been repairable, but alas, not.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Paris FR

To be honest, I just don't know. It's well established that steel
soles soften over several seasons and that aluminum yields a harsh,
unforgiving gait. ;-)

Peter Storey

Peter Storey wrote:
> To be honest, I just don't know. It's well established that steel
> soles soften over several seasons and that aluminum yields a harsh,
> unforgiving gait. ;-)

Now if THAT doesn't get me out the door to ride today, nothing will.

Bill "typing w/helm*t and shades already on; no gloves yet, however" S.

"Peter Storey" wrote

> To be honest, I just don't know. It's well established that steel
> soles soften over several seasons and that aluminum yields a harsh,
> unforgiving gait. ;-)

It is well known that carbon fiber soles are prone to catastrophic failure
withour warning. So if you have a pair, stay off of steep stairs. And it is
a myth that they are more comfortable.

On 15 May 2004 10:01:42 -0700, [email protected] (Peter
Storey) wrote:

>To be honest, I just don't know. It's well established that steel
>soles soften over several seasons and that aluminum yields a harsh,
>unforgiving gait. ;-)
>
>Peter Storey

Dear Peter,

WalMart sells $12 riding shoes just down the aisle from the Fury
Roadmaster. Double velcro closure, extra-wide size 12, white or gray,
and waterproof unless wet.

Carl Fogel

On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:55:39 GMT, " S o r n i"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Peter Storey wrote:
>> To be honest, I just don't know. It's well established that steel
>> soles soften over several seasons and that aluminum yields a harsh,
>> unforgiving gait. ;-)

>Now if THAT doesn't get me out the door to ride today, nothing will.
>
>Bill "typing w/helm*t and shades already on; no gloves yet, however" S.

I already rode today. I went to Wal Mart, and as I was getting ready
to leave, a little girl of maybe four or five years old was
absolutely mesmerized by my bike. Her grandmother patiently waited
while the little girl stood 15 feet away and stared for five minutes
or so. I told her I'd be happy to answer any questions, but she was
too shy...
--
Rick "Off-topic" Onanian

On Sat, 15 May 2004 14:29:33 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>WalMart sells $12 riding shoes just down the aisle from the Fury
>Roadmaster. Double velcro closure, extra-wide size 12, white or gray,
>and waterproof unless wet.

I've never seen _any_ bicycling clothes or shoes in Wal Mart. Are
the soles stiff?

Ask the guy at Wal Mart if they're SPD compatible..."SBD? As in, a
quiet stinky fart?"
--
Rick Onanian

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

> I already rode today. I went to Wal Mart, and as I was getting ready
> to leave, a little girl of maybe four or five years old was
> absolutely mesmerized by my bike. Her grandmother patiently waited
> while the little girl stood 15 feet away and stared for five minutes
> or so. I told her I'd be happy to answer any questions, but she was
> too shy...

Ah, so you're the bloke with the Hello Kitty paint job...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=17885&highlight=fixed (it can take a
while for all the images to load).

--

A: Top-posters.

On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:15:05 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Sat, 15 May 2004 14:29:33 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>>WalMart sells $12 riding shoes just down the aisle from the Fury
>>Roadmaster. Double velcro closure, extra-wide size 12, white or gray,
>>and waterproof unless wet.

>I've never seen _any_ bicycling clothes or shoes in Wal Mart. Are
>the soles stiff?

Dear Rick,

The soles are engineered for compatibility with the Fury RoadMaster's
exotic double-sided pedal mechanism, combining almost infinite float
with the easiest release of any shoe on the market.

You've probably seen them, but mistaken them for inexpensive sneakers.

Carl Fogel

> Dear Peter,
>
> WalMart sells $12 riding shoes just down the aisle from the Fury
> Roadmaster. Double velcro closure, extra-wide size 12, white or gray,
> and waterproof unless wet.
>
> Carl Fogel

Carl,

Thanks for the tip. I'm already partial to their touring shorts.
With a Brooks saddle, you don't need that silly pad. The W-Mart
shorts have lotsa pockets, are available in several different plaids
and appear to be made in Bermuda.

Peter Storey

On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:25:01 +1000, "DRS"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> I already rode today. I went to Wal Mart, and as I was getting ready
>> to leave, a little girl of maybe four or five years old was
>> absolutely mesmerized by my bike. Her grandmother patiently waited

>Ah, so you're the bloke with the Hello Kitty paint job...
>http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=17885&highlight=fixed (it can take a
>while for all the images to load).

Entirely cute, but doesn't resemble my bike in any way...possibly
the spokes are of the same gauge.
--
Rick Onanian

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:25:01 +1000, "DRS"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> I already rode today. I went to Wal Mart, and as I was getting ready
>>> to leave, a little girl of maybe four or five years old was
>>> absolutely mesmerized by my bike. Her grandmother patiently waited

>> Ah, so you're the bloke with the Hello Kitty paint job...
>> http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=17885&highlight=fixed (it
>> can take a while for all the images to load).

> Entirely cute, but doesn't resemble my bike in any way...possibly
> the spokes are of the same gauge.

Aw, you mean to tell us you're not a Hello Kitty kind of guy?

--

A: Top-posters.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 05:00:28 +1000, "DRS"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Entirely cute, but doesn't resemble my bike in any way...possibly
>> the spokes are of the same gauge.

>Aw, you mean to tell us you're not a Hello Kitty kind of guy?

I have a cat to whom I say "hello" often enough, but my bike is an
ugly (but visible) yellow with black and grey (kinda bumblebeeish, I
guess).
--
Rick Onanian

DRS wrote:

> "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> a little girl of maybe four or five years old was
>>absolutely mesmerized by my bike. Her grandmother patiently waited
>>while the little girl stood 15 feet away and stared for five minutes
>>or so.

> Ah, so you're the bloke with the Hello Kitty paint job...

Nah, the kitties wouldn't be very noticeable from 15 feet. You gotta get
closer. And the paint job *is* as pretty as they say.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

"dvt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> DRS wrote:
>> "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> a little girl of maybe four or five years old was
>>> absolutely mesmerized by my bike. Her grandmother patiently waited
>>> while the little girl stood 15 feet away and stared for five minutes
>>> or so.

>> Ah, so you're the bloke with the Hello Kitty paint job...

> Nah, the kitties wouldn't be very noticeable from 15 feet. You gotta
> get closer. And the paint job *is* as pretty as they say.

The Hello Kitty inverted tread pattern would be visible from that distance.
It was awesome.

--

A: Top-posters.