do derailers seize up?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Misnomer, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    Problem. Bike shifts ok on the back. The front doesn't seem to have any "play". On another bike the
    back doesn't shift and front does. Same problem no "play". Is this a problem with the cables or the
    derailer part?

    take care Liz who is thinking that maybe i should just get a nice new bike and forget about learning
    this stuff.

    Tags:

  2. John Rees

    John Rees Guest

    "MisNomer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Problem. Bike shifts ok on the back. The front doesn't seem to have any "play". On another bike
    > the back doesn't shift and front does. Same
    problem
    > no "play". Is this a problem with the cables or the derailer part?

    Please explain play, and what kind of bike and shifters? Lots of things can affect shifting. But
    probably the most common is issues with the cables. They could be rusted in the housing, a kink, or
    the housing could have been pinched, often by hanging on a bike rack. The chain is then next
    possible culprit. If there stiff links, the chain will not pass well (or at all) through the rear
    derailleur). I had a crash from such a thing happening. Finally, the pivots on the derailleur can be
    sticking, but this normally only happens on a damaged or really cheap derailleur.

    > Liz who is thinking that maybe i should just get a nice new bike and forget
    about
    > learning this stuff.

    New or old bike, you need to learn this stuff. It aint rocket science and is well worth it. All it
    will take is saving you a long walk home one day to be worth any time spent learning the basics. New
    bikes need maintenance too, and new bikes become old bikes :)

    John Rees

  3. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    Thanks John.

    Play means "the cage doesn't move back and forth " when the shift lever is pulled / pushed.

    Both bikes have Shimano gears . Cheap bikes - probably. Good to learn on?

    The cables on one are plastic wrapped and the other is naked. Also another "strange" thing is
    that the cable (with the plastic tubing) doesn't seem to retract with the shifter. So maybe it is
    the cable.

    take care Liz

    Hey! Look what "John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote :

    >Please explain play, and what kind of bike and shifters? Lots of things can affect shifting. But
    >probably the most common is issues with the cables. They could be rusted in the housing, a kink, or
    >the housing could have been pinched, often by hanging on a bike rack. The chain is then next
    >possible culprit. If there stiff links, the chain will not pass well (or at all) through the rear
    >derailleur). I had a crash from such a thing happening. Finally, the pivots on the derailleur can
    >be sticking, but this normally only happens on a damaged or really cheap derailleur.
    >
    >> Liz who is thinking that maybe i should just get a nice new bike and forget
    >about
    >> learning this stuff.
    >
    >New or old bike, you need to learn this stuff. It aint rocket science and is well worth it. All it
    >will take is saving you a long walk home one day to be worth any time spent learning the basics.
    >New bikes need maintenance too, and new bikes become old bikes :)
    >
    >John Rees

  4. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    Well ive determined that the cage/ derailler isn't seized. Those things really take alot of force to
    move. Tomorrow it gets a new cable.

    take care Liz who's family thinks shes crazy.