Do Dishwashers Heat Water?

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:50:20 +0200, Nathalie Chiva
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:08:15 GMT, Steve Wertz
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
>>only used for drying?
>>
>>IOW, is the element on when water is polled in the bottom of the
>>washer?

>At least in Switzerland and in France, they do - they're almost always
>connected to the cold water supply.

That's the case with my DW too. It was here when I bought the house
13 years ago, so it's still doing pretty well. When it goes, I'll buy
the most energy efficient DW I can. Or do without and use the old one
for a dishrack :)

TammyM

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>>
>>> "Blinky the Shark" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> The idea is who needs water that hot coming from their tap, so you
>>> could lower the setting on your water heater. I don't either.

>> Apartment building. And we do need it that hot, for this reason.
>> The hot supply (as in "amount of hot water available") isn't barely
>> adequate to go around, and varies considerably as other people use
>> it. So when you're in the shower, it can get cold - depending on
>> total demand at the moment. If what hot water we *do* have is quite
>> hot, it doesn't take much increase to make the blend comfortable.
>> But if it's *not* quite hot, then it takes *more* hot water to get
>> the blend up to speed, and that *adds more to the drain on the supply
>> because*. At one bottom end of the extreme, and we've been there
>> with managment that has turned *down* the water temp, even with the
>> hot tap full open there's not enough to take a shower because the
>> volume of the hot flow is so low that by the time you add in enough
>> cold flow to make the showerhead do anything but dribble a pee-stream
>> <g>, the blend is too cold to use.

> So, what I think you're saying is you flat out lied about your water
> being 130?

I don't know how you draw that conclusion, but it's totally off base.
As for the water temp I provided, I measured that before posting with my
meat thermometer. I was afraid that paragraph might be a little long
for you, but I thought it appropriate to take the time to answer your
suggestion about lowering the thermostat on the water heater with some
detail. I regret that you couldn't follow it, and that I took the time.

Perhaps you thought that we still had the management that kept the water
temperature too low. We don't. They're gone. Present management
allows for water hot enough to make things better. That's why it's 103
degrees, as I measured and stated last night. I said "we've been there
with management that has turned *down* the water temp", not "we are
presently living under management that has turned down the water temp".
That's because we're not, and have nice hot water. 130-degree water.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

"Blinky the Shark" <[email protected]> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Apartment building. And we do need it that hot, for this reason.
>>> The hot supply (as in "amount of hot water available") isn't barely
>>> adequate to go around, and varies considerably as other people use
>>> it. So when you're in the shower, it can get cold - depending on
>>> total demand at the moment. If what hot water we *do* have is quite
>>> hot, it doesn't take much increase to make the blend comfortable.
>>> But if it's *not* quite hot, then it takes *more* hot water to get
>>> the blend up to speed, and that *adds more to the drain on the supply
>>> because*. At one bottom end of the extreme, and we've been there
>>> with managment that has turned *down* the water temp, even with the
>>> hot tap full open there's not enough to take a shower because the
>>> volume of the hot flow is so low that by the time you add in enough
>>> cold flow to make the showerhead do anything but dribble a pee-stream
>>> <g>, the blend is too cold to use.

>> So, what I think you're saying is you flat out lied about your water
>> being 130?

> I don't know how you draw that conclusion, but it's totally off base.
> As for the water temp I provided, I measured that before posting with my
> meat thermometer. I was afraid that paragraph might be a little long
> for you, but I thought it appropriate to take the time to answer your
> suggestion about lowering the thermostat on the water heater with some
> detail. I regret that you couldn't follow it, and that I took the time.

Geez, lighten up. Maybe I need to use smileys so you can know
when I'm busting your chops. Which won't happen again.

nancy

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 6 Sep 2007 22:10:53 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Hi-Temp Wash increases the target water tem during the wash portions
>>> of the cycle to 145.

>> That might not be much of a boost, depending. My hot water from the tap
>> is 130F.

Thats pretty hot. A half minute of being under that will result in THIRD
degree burns:

http://www.tap-water-burn.com/

So don't pass out in your shower.

Steve Wertz wrote:
> Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
> only used for drying?
>
> IOW, is the element on when water is polled in the bottom of the
> washer?
>
> -sw

You're actually asking a question. I thought your only purpose here was
answering questions.

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> That might not be much of a boost, depending. My hot water from the
>>> tap is 130F.

>> The idea is who needs water that hot coming from their tap, so you
>> could lower the setting on your water heater. I don't either.

> Apartment building. And we do need it that hot, for this reason. The
> hot supply (as in "amount of hot water available") isn't barely
> adequate to go around, and varies considerably as other people use
> it.

Dang, I'm glad I'm in an apartment that has it's own hot water heater. I
sure wouldn't have to worry about how long my neighbors are showering!

As to do dishwashers heat water? Mine sure does. I've had to open it a
couple of times right after the wash cycle starts because I forgot to put a
plate or a glass in there and the steam that billows out fogs up my glasses!

Jill

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 15:27:33 -0500, Scott wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> Do dishwashers heat the water, or is the element in the bottom
>> only used for drying?
>>
>> IOW, is the element on when water is polled in the bottom of the
>> washer?

> You're actually asking a question. I thought your only purpose here was
> answering questions.

I know it's hard to believe, but I don't know everything. Pretty
darn close though.

And I'm still waiting for this carefully crafted subject to start
a flame war.

-sw

jmcquown wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> "Blinky the Shark" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> The idea is who needs water that hot coming from their tap, so you
>>> could lower the setting on your water heater. I don't either.

>> Apartment building. And we do need it that hot, for this reason. The
>> hot supply (as in "amount of hot water available") isn't barely
>> adequate to go around, and varies considerably as other people use
>> it.

> Dang, I'm glad I'm in an apartment that has it's own hot water heater. I
> sure wouldn't have to worry about how long my neighbors are showering!
>
> As to do dishwashers heat water? Mine sure does. I've had to open it a
> couple of times right after the wash cycle starts because I forgot to put a
> plate or a glass in there and the steam that billows out fogs up my glasses!
>
> Jill

Your water heater heats hot water? Why?

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>>
>>> "Blinky the Shark" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> So, what I think you're saying is you flat out lied about your water
>>> being 130?

>> I don't know how you draw that conclusion, but it's totally off base.
>> As for the water temp I provided, I measured that before posting with my
>> meat thermometer. I was afraid that paragraph might be a little long
>> for you, but I thought it appropriate to take the time to answer your
>> suggestion about lowering the thermostat on the water heater with some
>> detail. I regret that you couldn't follow it, and that I took the time.

> Geez, lighten up. Maybe I need to use smileys so you can know
> when I'm busting your chops. Which won't happen again.

It's pretty hard to jokify "you flat out lied".

--

Jelly B. wrote:

> "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>> That might not be much of a boost, depending. My hot water from the tap
>>> is 130F.

> Thats pretty hot. A half minute of being under that will result in THIRD
> degree burns:
>
> http://www.tap-water-burn.com/
>
> So don't pass out in your shower.

I'll just sue McDonalds.