Do EggBeaters use the same thing in the shoe that SPD's do?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by PreciousBbird, May 9, 2003.

  1. PreciousBbird

    PreciousBbird New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2003
    I was reading a post about clipless pedals and am intrigued by the Egg Beaters mentioned in the post. I saw a pic and wonder:

    1. Can you clip into (and out of) them easily? Is there a 'right-side-up'?
    2. Would whatever is in the shoe that works with SPD pedals work with these or does one need a new thingy in the shoe?
    3. What is the advantage of the Egg Beaters besides their very cool looks and their (I assume) light weight?

    Thank you!

    Forgot to mention I am considering them for my HepCat!! That's why I am posting it here.....

    > I was reading a post about clipless pedals and am intrigued by the Egg Beaters mentioned in the
    > post. I saw a pic and wonder:
    >
    > 1. Can you clip into (and out of) them easily? Is there a 'right-side-up'?

    All four sides are 'right-side-up'

    > 2. Would whatever is in the shoe that works with SPD pedals work with these or does one need a new
    > thingy in the shoe?

    SPD cleats are different from EggBeater cleats. Any SPD compatible show will work with
    EggBeater cleats.

    > 3. What is the advantage of the Egg Beaters besides their very cool looks and their (I assume)
    > light weight?

    Easy 8 way entry, Easy exit. Gentler on the knees. BTW they are not any lighter that some light
    weight Shimano.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. PreciousBbird

    PreciousBbird New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2003
    Thank you for the info - I think I am going to ask for them for my Birthday present. I have to admit I am having more trouble 'clipping in' on my 'bent than I thought I would. Getting out has been OK so far. Part of my difficulty seems to be the fact that I have just two sides per pedal to clip into. Four sounds like a good solution!

    Thanks again!!

  4. Floyd Sense

    Floyd Sense Guest

    I used SPD pedals on my DF bikes for many years, and installed them on my Rans Vivo last year as
    well. One day, I was sitting still on the bike and lost my balance and the damned cleat would not
    release from the pedal. Result - broken rib, damaged seat mesh. After reading about how the Egg
    Beaters would release more easily, I tried a pair and can tell you that they release SUBSTANTIALLY
    more easily and smoothly. Also, the manufacturer makes one of the cleats so that it releases with
    less angular motion than the other, so you can put that cleat on the shoe of the foot that you most
    often unclip first when stopping. I put of pair of Egg Beaters on my DF bike as well, and the ease
    of exit is even more pronounced on that bike. After I got used to the pedals, it was also easier to
    get clipped in, but that took some time.

    I looked very carefully at three pair of SPD type pedals that I have, including the Shimanos that I
    fell with. In every case, I found that the metal surface that the cleat mates with was very rough,
    resulting in the inability to quickly get out of the pedals when necessary. Perhaps the highest
    priced SPDs are better finished. Anyone riding SPDs on a recumbent ought to consider using a Dremel
    tool to smooth the cleat contact surfaces to prevent release problems.

    FS in Angier, NC on a Rans Vivo

    "PreciousBbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was reading a post about clipless pedals and am intrigued by the Egg Beaters mentioned in the
    > post. I saw a pic and wonder:
    >
    > 1. Can you clip into (and out of) them easily? Is there a 'right-side-up'?
    > 2. Would whatever is in the shoe that works with SPD pedals work with these or does one need a new
    > thingy in the shoe?
    > 3. What is the advantage of the Egg Beaters besides their very cool looks and their (I assume)
    > light weight?
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Forgot to mention I am considering them for my HepCat!! That's why I am posting it here.....

  5. Russ Price

    Russ Price Guest

    PreciousBbird <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I was reading a post about clipless pedals and am intrigued by the Egg Beaters mentioned in the
    > post. I saw a pic and wonder:
    >
    > 1. Can you clip into (and out of) them easily? Is there a 'right-side-up'?
    > 2. Would whatever is in the shoe that works with SPD pedals work with these or does one need a new
    > thingy in the shoe?
    > 3. What is the advantage of the Egg Beaters besides their very cool looks and their (I assume)
    > light weight?

    They're four-sided - there isn't a "right side up" for the pedals. There are three different ways
    you can clip in, depending on your preference and skill. One way is to roll your foot forward until
    the cleat engages; another way is to drag it backward, and the third way is to step directly on it
    (it takes practice).

    They'll work with any SPD-compatible shoe, but you might need to use shims, or, in extreme cases,
    use a Dremel tool to hog out some of the shoe tread if there's interference between the tread and
    the cleat. FWIW, my Diadora Jalapenos didn't need any shims or tread alterations.

    The cleats need to be broken in, but once that's done, they're very easy to clip in and out, and I
    haven't had any unintentional unclippings. Also, there isn't any need for a spring tension
    adjustment on the pedal, due to its design.

    --
    Russ Price * [email protected] * kill the wabbit to email

    "A computer with a bullet in it is just a paperweight; a map with a bullet in it is still a map."
    Maj. Keith Hauk, U.S. Army