Do front derailleurs inherently kinda suck?

On 20 Sep 2003 10:38:13 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

>> WTF is "ack"?!
>
>It's what Bill The Cat says.

I thought Ren or was it Stimpy said that.

>> >Agreed. IME, dialing in the front derailleur is the trickest mechanical thing you'll do on your
>> >bike. See if you can get your mechanic to show you what he's doing when he adjusts it again if
>> >you want to learn. Trying on your own will guarantee at least one lost afternoon and STILL
>> >probably won't shift right.
>>
>> Begging the Colonel's pardon....but that's Bvllshit! If you can read at an eighth grade level,
>> know how to measure, use a phillips or a flat head screwdriver, then you're in good shape. 10
>> minutes tops.
>
>We're talking about a novice here, Bill. Mechanical inclination and retardation have a really wide
>spectrum as well.
>
>JD

Yes, yes, yes...okay, okay....but I still say unless you're one of those "gifted" characters in a
Gary Larson cartoon, I still think you should at least give it a go and try. If you fail then take
it to your LBS.

Peace, Bill

Bill Wheeler wrote:

> Yes, yes, yes...okay, okay....but I still say unless you're one of those "gifted" characters in a
> Gary Larson cartoon, I still think you should at least give it a go and try. If you fail then take
> it to your LBS.
>
> Peace, Bill

I agree, I think that one of the most important things you gain with experience is confidence, the
confidence that you really can't screw it up that badly and give it a shot. No-a-days I try to
approach new tasks with that in mind, even if I don't know what I'm doing, I really can't screw
things up so badly that it can't be fixed (perhaps by someone else). Window's OS seem to be the
exception to this rule.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)