Do guys purposely fall back in GC?

xrider

Guest
Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later stage
with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?

Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
stage win?

[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later stage
> with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?
>
> Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
> stage win?

glory yes. you always hear the sentence- and he won a stage in the TDF not he finished 8th in the GC
of the TDF. Money stage win is about 7.6K Euros about the same as 8th in th GC.

Personally i think simoni mouth wrote a check that his pedals could not cash.not stragety just
stupidity(ego)

> Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later stage
> with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?
>
> Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
> stage win?

It is easier to win a stage when you are lower on GC. Having said that, I truly doubt anyone would
do that on purpose. UCI points run fairly deep for GC in a grand tour. It may look like they plan
it, but it is definitely a "plan b" sort of thing.

> Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later stage
> with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?
>
> Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
> stage win?

Last year Jaja purposely fell back in the GC so that Postal would let him ride up the road and
collect most of the easy Climbing points putting him in the polka dots. Remember that Jaja won the
points jersey in previous editions and was also the world champion in the TT. If he'd been near
Lance in GC he could never have pulled off what he
did.

<[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws [email protected]...
> Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later stage
> with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?
>
> Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
> stage win?

I think Boogerd is trying that trick this year. Perhaps he isn't losing time on purpose, but he
certainly did not exert himself too much in the stage to Morzine. He wants to be in good shape
in the Pyrenees. A not-too-dangerous GC position would also help, but I don't think that's the
main reason.

'Glory' is a vague term, but 'media exposure' is more tangible. Again, Rabobank is a good example. I
don't know how many people know that Leipheimer finished 7th in the GC, but the pictures of Boogerd
winning in La Plagne are known to almost everyone. As sponsors can have a lot of influence in a
team's policy, these sort of victories might be preferred over a top 10 overall. Did you know Axel
Merckx one finished 8th? He would gladly trade that result in for a stage win.

Jonathan.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:00:18 GMT, "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later
>> stage with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?
>>
>> Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
>> stage win?
>
>Last year Jaja purposely fell back in the GC so that Postal would let him ride up the road and
>collect most of the easy Climbing points putting him in the polka dots.

Actually he was also hoping they'd let him take enough of a lead to win a stage too!

>Remember that Jaja won the points jersey in previous editions and was also the world champion
>in the TT.

He also won the Polka Dot in 2001 and two stages.

>If he'd been near Lance in GC he could never have pulled off what he
>did.

Probably. He didn't come in the tour to win it like Simoni though.