Do guys purposely fall back in GC?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by xrider, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. xrider

    xrider Guest

    Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later stage
    with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?

    Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
    stage win?

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later stage
    > with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?
    >
    > Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
    > stage win?

    glory yes. you always hear the sentence- and he won a stage in the TDF not he finished 8th in the GC
    of the TDF. Money stage win is about 7.6K Euros about the same as 8th in th GC.

    Personally i think simoni mouth wrote a check that his pedals could not cash.not stragety just
    stupidity(ego)

  3. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later stage
    > with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?
    >
    > Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
    > stage win?

    It is easier to win a stage when you are lower on GC. Having said that, I truly doubt anyone would
    do that on purpose. UCI points run fairly deep for GC in a grand tour. It may look like they plan
    it, but it is definitely a "plan b" sort of thing.

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later stage
    > with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?
    >
    > Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
    > stage win?

    Last year Jaja purposely fell back in the GC so that Postal would let him ride up the road and
    collect most of the easy Climbing points putting him in the polka dots. Remember that Jaja won the
    points jersey in previous editions and was also the world champion in the TT. If he'd been near
    Lance in GC he could never have pulled off what he
    did.

  5. <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws [email protected]
    > Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later stage
    > with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?
    >
    > Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
    > stage win?

    I think Boogerd is trying that trick this year. Perhaps he isn't losing time on purpose, but he
    certainly did not exert himself too much in the stage to Morzine. He wants to be in good shape
    in the Pyrenees. A not-too-dangerous GC position would also help, but I don't think that's the
    main reason.

    'Glory' is a vague term, but 'media exposure' is more tangible. Again, Rabobank is a good example. I
    don't know how many people know that Leipheimer finished 7th in the GC, but the pictures of Boogerd
    winning in La Plagne are known to almost everyone. As sponsors can have a lot of influence in a
    team's policy, these sort of victories might be preferred over a top 10 overall. Did you know Axel
    Merckx one finished 8th? He would gladly trade that result in for a stage win.

    Jonathan.

  6. Keith

    Keith Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:00:18 GMT, "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Take Simoni, would he better off to fall way back in the GC so that he can attack in a later
    >> stage with the leaders in no fear to chase him down and then he gets a stage win?
    >>
    >> Is there more glory/money in a stage win but way back in GC or to place in the top 10 but get no
    >> stage win?
    >
    >Last year Jaja purposely fell back in the GC so that Postal would let him ride up the road and
    >collect most of the easy Climbing points putting him in the polka dots.

    Actually he was also hoping they'd let him take enough of a lead to win a stage too!

    >Remember that Jaja won the points jersey in previous editions and was also the world champion
    >in the TT.

    He also won the Polka Dot in 2001 and two stages.

    >If he'd been near Lance in GC he could never have pulled off what he
    >did.

    Probably. He didn't come in the tour to win it like Simoni though.