Do i have potential??

LexVdW

Sep 4, 2018
So,
I am a 22 year old middle distance runner who used to do some road cycling as a kid. I run 4' for my 1500m and 14'56" for my 5k. I don't do any cycling at the moment, but the passion is still there. So I went to my local lab and got myself tested. I did a cardiovascular test where the watts are increased every few minutes. I ended my test at 400w and my body weight is 65kg (6.1W/kg).

Do I have any potential to get back into road cycling? And how would you guys do it? Doing easy long rides? Mixing it up with running?

Any thoughts/advice is more than welcome!

I thought you were insulted out of here? Again I'll suggest that you get Joe Friel's training bible.

I'm still not clear what you means by "potential". Are you asking if you can be a pro? Or if you can be a competitive amateur racer? Since you're a runner that hasn't ridden bicycles in a long time I found the figures you were quoting to be highly unlikely. That isn't to say that you don't have the capacity or ability - but that bicycling, running, rowing and swimming are all endurance sports that require specific training and the building of specific muscle groups. The numbers you were quoting would not be bad for a very good Cat 2 or middle of the pack Cat 1 bicycle racer. From a runner that is almost impossible on an ENDURANCE test though in sprints you could certainly use your training in one leg dominated sport to another.

I don't know where you live but in most fairly large population areas you can find racing clubs and ride with them to see both your comparative skill and your weaknesses which would suggest where your training needs to focus.

By all means continue to ride in any case since bicycling is a sport that you can continue your entire life whereas the other endurance sports are not. Fairly recently we had a 109 year old man set an hour record on a track.

When I began riding it was as a suggestion from someone whom I cannot remember. I was getting to be a physical wreck in my early-30's. Today I'll be turning 74 in two weeks and I've never been in better shape or health.

Since you've been a runner you'll know the way that you don't want to get up in the morning to train but sometime have to force yourself. You have probably overcome that hurdle and that is the hardest one of them all.

Try it, you'll like it.

I thought you were insulted out of here? Again I'll suggest that you get Joe Friel's training bible.

I'm still not clear what you means by "potential". Are you asking if you can be a pro? Or if you can be a competitive amateur racer? Since you're a runner that hasn't ridden bicycles in a long time I found the figures you were quoting to be highly unlikely. That isn't to say that you don't have the capacity or ability - but that bicycling, running, rowing and swimming are all endurance sports that require specific training and the building of specific muscle groups. The numbers you were quoting would not be bad for a very good Cat 2 or middle of the pack Cat 1 bicycle racer. From a runner that is almost impossible on an ENDURANCE test though in sprints you could certainly use your training in one leg dominated sport to another.

I don't know where you live but in most fairly large population areas you can find racing clubs and ride with them to see both your comparative skill and your weaknesses which would suggest where your training needs to focus.

By all means continue to ride in any case since bicycling is a sport that you can continue your entire life whereas the other endurance sports are not. Fairly recently we had a 109 year old man set an hour record on a track.

When I began riding it was as a suggestion from someone whom I cannot remember. I was getting to be a physical wreck in my early-30's. Today I'll be turning 74 in two weeks and I've never been in better shape or health.

Since you've been a runner you'll know the way that you don't want to get up in the morning to train but sometime have to force yourself. You have probably overcome that hurdle and that is the hardest one of them all.

Try it, you'll like it.

Everything is going really Well! And I’m from Belgium THE country of cycling!
Waking up in the morning to go workout is a struggle?? I just love to workout 2-3 times a day.

Everything is going really Well! And I’m from Belgium THE country of cycling!
Waking up in the morning to go workout is a struggle?? I just love to workout 2-3 times a day.
Well, doing professional level workouts is a whole lot different than running. Cyclists often do a 150 km ride so doing 2 or 3 of those isn't going to happen. Training plans are made to allow you to drive yourself harder and harder with sufficient relaxation and recuperation to keep you able to race. Professional level races require you to have a training plan so that your physical fitness peaks at the time of the race and you use lesser races as part of your training plan and don't worry about running at or near the front.

You have to have a good diet as well. The problem with that is that everyone is different. A lot of people of your age can get along mostly on carbohydrates but others need a great deal of fat and protein. That's something only you can discover.

Good luck.

Based on your lab test, I would say that you definitely have potential in cycling. I'm not sure how your test was structured, but it sounds like either a VO2MAX or MAP test. When I do this test, I start at 150W with a 5W increase every 12 seconds to exhaustion. Then I take my AP for the last 60 seconds as an estimate of VO2MAX. When I'm race-fit, my number is about 325W (avg of the last 60 seconds) with about 365W at the end. This translates to VO2MAX of about 4.33 liters per minute. I don't know whether your 400W number was your max power at the end of the test or an average of the last minute. Either way, it's better than my race-fit number. I don't know what my numbers were when I began racing in 1970 at about age 28 because I didn't have a power meter until I was 65, but I think your numbers suggest you can be competitive at least at the amateur levels.

As to training, I recommend Andy Coggan's book, Training and Racing with a Power Meter. As to a training plan, I personally opt for building endurance first and power second. But, I'm sure there are those who prefer building power first and endurance second. Anyway, it also depends on your available training time.

As to mixing running and cycling, I would not recommend that if your primary interest is your cycling fitness. Running and cycling use different muscles and oxygen delivery pathways, so there's not a lot of crossover benefit from one to the other. On the other hand, if you enjoy both activities, then by all means do both. It's not as though running will hurt your cycling, it's just that it won't do much good for your cycling.

Reactions: steve and CAMPYBOB
So,
I am a 22 year old middle distance runner who used to do some road cycling as a kid. I run 4' for my 1500m and 14'56" for my 5k. I don't do any cycling at the moment, but the passion is still there. So I went to my local lab and got myself tested. I did a cardiovascular test where the watts are increased every few minutes. I ended my test at 400w and my body weight is 65kg (6.1W/kg).

Do I have any potential to get back into road cycling? And how would you guys do it? Doing easy long rides? Mixing it up with running?

Any thoughts/advice is more than welcome!
6.1?? for how long?

Hey there! When it comes to cycling, the average speed of 6.1 can mean different things depending on the distance covered. If it's for a shorter race or time trial, that speed is quite impressive! However, if it's for a longer distance like a century ride, there might be room for improvement.

To enhance your performance and increase your speed, it's essential to focus on a few key aspects. Firstly, optimizing your bike setup and ensuring it's properly fitted to your body can make a significant difference. Secondly, incorporating interval training into your workouts can help boost your speed and endurance. Lastly, nutrition and recovery play crucial roles in maintaining peak performance, so fueling your body with the right nutrients and getting enough rest is a must.

In terms of comparing your speed to others, it's always interesting to see how we stack up against fellow cyclists. It can be a great motivator to push ourselves harder and reach new personal bests. However, it's important to remember that everyone has their own unique strengths and weaknesses.

Keep pushing yourself, focus on the aspects that enhance your performance, and you'll surely see improvements in your speed! Good luck and happy cycling! :)