Do I have the 'Piriformis Syndrome' or am I just Old?

thomtwo

Aug 2, 2014
I'm 70 years old and just started riding a month ago for Fitness on my new Specialized Crosstrail Disc.
Everything has been great until 4 days ago when after an 11.5 mile ride, my right hip had lots of pain.
I didn't have any pain while riding, only when I got off the bike and walked.

I started Googling "Cyclist Pain" and found something I had never hear of 'Piriformis Syndrome'.

I normally ride 8 to 12 miles every other day. Were I live in Tennessee and my rides are seldom flat roads.
There are a couple of steep hills that are a 1/2 mile long and that require some hard pumping. That had may
have caused the pain, but these are the same hills I've ridden many times before.

I started doing the Piriformis Syndrome Stretches a Sports Medicine Doctor on the Net recommended and taking
Aleve for the pain.

I just want to make sure I'm self diagnosing this correct and wondering how soon I can get back to cycling.

BTW: I was professionally fitted at the dealer when I bought the Crosstrail.

Suggestions will be highly appreciated.

_Thom

Just out of curiosity , where are you in Tennessee? Btw it is hard to say what your situation is but it could be you need to give it more time or it still could be an fit issue. Or fitness issue.

Thanks for the reply jhusky.. I'm in Hickman County, TN.

I just want to get back ASAP.

Yes, you are a few miles from me. It is really hard to determine your issue but it could be as simple as a cleat adjustment.

I guess I made an assumption that you are using clip in type shoe and pedals.

Originally Posted by thomtwo
I'm 70 years old and just started riding a month ago for Fitness on my new Specialized Crosstrail Disc.
Everything has been great until 4 days ago when after an 11.5 mile ride, my right hip had lots of pain.
I didn't have any pain while riding, only when I got off the bike and walked.

I started Googling "Cyclist Pain" and found something I had never hear of 'Piriformis Syndrome'.

I normally ride 8 to 12 miles every other day. Were I live in Tennessee and my rides are seldom flat roads.
There are a couple of steep hills that are a 1/2 mile long and that require some hard pumping. That had may
have caused the pain, but these are the same hills I've ridden many times before.

I started doing the Piriformis Syndrome Stretches a Sports Medicine Doctor on the Net recommended and taking
Aleve for the pain.

I just want to make sure I'm self diagnosing this correct and wondering how soon I can get back to cycling.

BTW: I was professionally fitted at the dealer when I bought the Crosstrail.

Suggestions will be highly appreciated.

_Thom
It doesn't sound like it. I have Piriformis Syndrome right now (and it sucks). It's basically when a tight Piriformis impinges on the Sciatic nerve, at which point it isn't a muscle ache type of feeling, it's a nerve burn type of feeling. It's also not something that a few quick stretches will make go away for the rest of the day. Stretching helps but it just makes the pain a bit more bearable. My Chriopractor is working on it, but it's not a quick fix.

The pain isn't in my hip, it starts deep under my glute (about halfway down the buttock and slightly to the outside, but down deep in the tissue) and radiates down my left hamstring to around where it hits my knee, but occasionally goes farther than that.

If it were me (and it's not), I would keep riding but take it really easy. I call it "Mouth Closed No Leg Pain Protocol", so if your mouth is open to breathe or your legs hurt in any way, drop into an easier gear and spin easier. It sounds more like your body needs time to adapt to the new activity and that you're probably sitting pretty tense on the bike, which will make random muscles ache.

Also, make sure you're not grinding (i.e. pedaling slowly in a hard gear, something new riders are prone to do). That wreaks havoc on hips and knees.