Do I need a jersey?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Joe Nordic, May 12, 2003.

  1. Joe Nordic

    Joe Nordic Guest

    I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather I wear
    a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed. I have a Cyclepro bag on my rack, so I
    have no need for pockets in my shirt. All my riding is solo.

    Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my lack
    of jersey be considered weird?

    Joe

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote in news:MNOva.59321$O06.43480 @twister.nyroc.rr.com:
    > I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather I
    > wear a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed.

    A bike jersey is probably not much different than your EMS shirt. The big advantage of a jersey is
    that it will keep you cool on a long hot uphill, but then keep you warm on the following fast
    chilling downhill.

    > Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my
    > lack of jersey be considered weird?

    No one will care, as long as you can keep up.

  3. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > "Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote in news:MNOva.59321$O06.43480 @twister.nyroc.rr.com:
    > > I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather I
    > > wear a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed.
    >
    > A bike jersey is probably not much different than your EMS shirt. The big advantage of a jersey is
    > that it will keep you cool on a long hot uphill, but then keep you warm on the following fast
    > chilling downhill.
    >
    > > Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my
    > > lack of jersey be considered weird?
    >
    > No one will care, as long as you can keep up.

    Fabs might disagree with you, but not me <GGG>

    it's morning".

  4. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    "Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my
    > lack of jersey be considered weird?

    Polyester jerseys are lighter and cooler than cotton Ts, but on a group ride I certainly don't care
    and I doubt anybody else does. Nowadays I usually wear a polyester mesh T that's sold for running.

    RFM
    --
    To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

  5. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Am I missing something by not using a jersey?

    If your Tshirts are cotton, then yes, you are missing something. Cotton soaks up the moisture rather
    than wicking and promoting evaporation. A snug fitting ferseys or other shirts made from Polypro or
    similar fabric will be cooler and more comfortable that a cotton T-shirt.

    >If I were to participate in a group ride would my lack of jersey be considered weird?
    >
    >Joe

    Depends on the group ride, but I suggest if they give you bad vibes for not wearing a "uniform" then
    you probably want to ride with another group anyway.

    jon isaacs

  6. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather I
    > wear a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed. I have a Cyclepro bag on my rack,
    > so I have no need for pockets in my shirt. All my riding is solo.
    >
    > Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my
    > lack of jersey be considered weird?

    I don't wear jerseys much any more, although I ride with (fast) groups frequently, most of whom do
    wear jerseys. I find T-shirts more comfortable, although I like Coolmax "Alta" ones much better than
    cotton, cotton/poly blends or polypropylene. I find them typically for $10 or so (Duofold, etc.).

    Cotton is probably OK in low humidity areas, it just gets really heavy with sweat, and takes forever
    to dry when there's moisture in the air. I usually carry a mesh-backed wind vest to put on if I get
    too cool. Whatever works for you. I know people who ride (hard) in Rayon "Hawaiian" shirts.

  7. Golightly F.

    Golightly F. Guest

    A jersey fits tighter... thus... avoiding flapping in the wind. Also having back pockets is a
    nice feature.

    BTW... avoid "Queer Gear".

    fwiw

    "Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather I
    > wear a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed. I have a Cyclepro bag on my rack,
    > so I have no need for pockets in my shirt. All
    my
    > riding is solo.
    >
    > Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my
    > lack of jersey be considered
    weird?

    > Joe

  8. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    wrote in part:

    >>If I were to participate in a group ride would my lack of jersey be considered weird?
    >>
    >>Joe
    >
    >Depends on the group ride, but I suggest if they give you bad vibes for not wearing a "uniform"
    >then you probably want to ride with another group anyway.

    I've seen this same question posed numerous times and I've always wondered- is my experience with
    group rides so different than others? The only things any group I've ever ridden with cared about
    were: 1- having a safe and troublefree ride. 2- the pace. Some liked faster, some liked slower but
    they all wanted riders that maintained the preferred pace. 3- a fun route. 4- where we'd eat and
    drink afterwards.

    No one ever made any fashion statements that I heard. Of course, since I'm a style demigod maybe I
    intimidated them. ;-)

    Regards, Bob Hunt

  9. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    wrote in part:

    >BTW... avoid "Queer Gear".

    Proving once again that as a troll, he's a one trick pony. Yawn.

    Bob Hunt

  10. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Hunrobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >"Golightly F." [email protected]
    >
    > wrote in part:
    >
    > >BTW... avoid "Queer Gear".
    >
    > Proving once again that as a troll, he's a one trick pony. Yawn.
    >
    > Bob Hunt

    Dangit Bob! I have that guy killfiled for a reason. Now quit responding to him so I don't have to
    be exposed to his moronic ramblings. They do nothing but confuse the newcomers and irritate the
    rest of us.

    -Buck

  11. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > No one ever made any fashion statements that I heard. Of course, since I'm a style demigod maybe I
    > intimidated them. ;-)

    Fast training rides tend to be more snobbish than slow recreational rides. However, if you can take
    your turns at the head of the pace line, they won't mind if you're wearing a T-shirt and riding an
    old Schwinn. They'll probably even be impressed.

  12. Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote in news:MNOva.59321$O06.43480 @twister.nyroc.rr.com:
    > > I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather I
    > > wear a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed.
    >
    > A bike jersey is probably not much different than your EMS shirt. The big advantage of a jersey is
    > that it will keep you cool on a long hot uphill, but then keep you warm on the following fast
    > chilling downhill.
    >
    > > Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my
    > > lack of jersey be considered weird?
    >
    > No one will care, as long as you can keep up.

    And if you cannot keep up they won't care much either. Their much too interested in themselves to
    pay you any attention.

  13. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Michael Pearlman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote in news:MNOva.59321$O06.43480 @twister.nyroc.rr.com:
    > > > I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather
    > > > I wear a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed.
    > >
    > > A bike jersey is probably not much different than your EMS shirt. The big advantage of a jersey
    > > is that it will keep you cool on a long
    hot
    > > uphill, but then keep you warm on the following fast chilling downhill.
    > >
    > > > Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would
    > > > my lack of jersey be considered
    weird?

    > > No one will care, as long as you can keep up.
    >
    > And if you cannot keep up they won't care much either. Their much too interested in themselves to
    > pay you any attention.

    Although I wear T-shirts, I think jerseys are better -- they tend to breath better and get rid of
    the sweat. In AZ, the sweat evaporated regardless; here in CT, though, the sweat is tenacious as the
    humidity is so high. The only problem with jerseys are finding the right size, finding one that
    doesn't cost an obscene amount, and finding one that's in the right color (I like bright colors to
    alert cars to my presence).

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

  14. "archer" <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message ...
    >> > No one will care, as long as you can keep up.
    >
    > Fabs might disagree with you, but not me <GGG>

    I remember last summer a new guy showed up for one of my rides, he had a Specialized Allez A1
    aluminum frame with a Shimano Utegra groupo, nothing special there but it passes ok for a newbie.

    Then he comes over wearing a damn ruby jersey, I took the guy aside and had a word with him about
    what a proper kit comprises of.

    I guess he got the message because as I led the guys out of the parking lot for the hammer session I
    looked over at the newbie's car and saw the Fred loading his bike onto the roof rack.

    If you ever want to ride with the A group you better make sure you're wearing your team jersey.

  15. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 20:42:57 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> from Prodigy Internet
    http://www.prodigy.com wrote:

    >here in CT, though, the sweat is tenacious as the humidity is so high.

    Oh, please. You don't know humidity. Come down here to Louisiana for some humidity.

    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I'm using my X-RAY VISION to obtain a rare
    glimpse of the INNER WORKINGS of this POTATO!!

  16. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

  17. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 13 May 2003 20:42:57 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> from Prodigy Internet
    > http://www.prodigy.com wrote:
    >
    > >here in CT, though, the sweat is tenacious as the humidity is so high.
    >
    > Oh, please. You don't know humidity. Come down here to Louisiana for some humidity.

    Those dewpoints make it all the way up her to Chicagoland, so we "feel your pain". Ok, maybe not as
    many days of the year, but we feel it!

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  18. Kev C

    Kev C Guest

    Ken typed the following

    > [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >> No one ever made any fashion statements that I heard. Of course, since I'm a style demigod maybe
    >> I intimidated them. ;-)
    >
    > Fast training rides tend to be more snobbish than slow recreational rides. However, if you can
    > take your turns at the head of the pace line, they won't mind if you're wearing a T-shirt and
    > riding an old Schwinn. They'll probably even be impressed.

    Nothing to do with cycling but others did seem impressed when I was rockclimbing with trainers
    on (big routes in glencoe)they all had "stickies" on (rock climbing boots).They were even more
    impressed when I told them (lying,[ I was at school and couldn't afford rock boots] )that I kept
    my "stickies" for hard climbs( I was on top of "Big Top" a climb with a 5c crux[quite "hard"
    enough for me])
    --
    yours K (Addy not usable [not that you would try it anyway]) There wis a Hare ran tae a burn it ran
    sae fast it couldnae turn \\SPLASH// :eek:) [Please note grammar and descriptions are loose so no

  19. Larry Schudt

    Larry Schudt Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 22:14:12 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I remember last summer a new guy showed up for one of my rides, he had a Specialized Allez A1
    >aluminum frame with a Shimano Utegra groupo, nothing special there but it passes ok for a newbie.

    In another thread, I remarked on the bastard term 'groupo', which has no legitimate meaning... Fabs
    you blew it this time. In English, it's group. In Italian, it's gruppo. The term 'groupo' is totally
    unnecessary. Only a euro-poseur would use such a word!

    Another poster (forget who) asked where I had ever seen such a horrible term. There it is!

    However, I DO love reading Fab's posts!

    larry

  20. Kevan Smith wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 May 2003 20:42:57 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> from Prodigy Internet
    > http://www.prodigy.com wrote:
    >
    > >here in CT, though, the sweat is tenacious as the humidity is so high.
    >
    > Oh, please. You don't know humidity. Come down here to Louisiana for some humidity.

    I've been to Louisiana on several occasions and I wasn't that impressed.

    People are always surprised at how hot and humid New England can be in August (especially).

    Not at all a part of the New England image.

    Now mosquitoes...well I was impressed in Louisiana!

    SMH