Do I need a jersey?

Joe Nordic

Guest
I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather I wear
a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed. I have a Cyclepro bag on my rack, so I
have no need for pockets in my shirt. All my riding is solo.

Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my lack
of jersey be considered weird?

Joe

"Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote in news:MNOva.59321$O06.43480 @twister.nyroc.rr.com:
> I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather I
> wear a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed.

A bike jersey is probably not much different than your EMS shirt. The big advantage of a jersey is
that it will keep you cool on a long hot uphill, but then keep you warm on the following fast
chilling downhill.

> Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my
> lack of jersey be considered weird?

No one will care, as long as you can keep up.

> "Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote in news:MNOva.59321$O06.43480 @twister.nyroc.rr.com:
> > I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather I
> > wear a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed.
>
> A bike jersey is probably not much different than your EMS shirt. The big advantage of a jersey is
> that it will keep you cool on a long hot uphill, but then keep you warm on the following fast
> chilling downhill.
>
> > Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my
> > lack of jersey be considered weird?
>
> No one will care, as long as you can keep up.

Fabs might disagree with you, but not me <GGG>

it's morning".

"Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my
> lack of jersey be considered weird?

Polyester jerseys are lighter and cooler than cotton Ts, but on a group ride I certainly don't care
and I doubt anybody else does. Nowadays I usually wear a polyester mesh T that's sold for running.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

>Am I missing something by not using a jersey?

If your Tshirts are cotton, then yes, you are missing something. Cotton soaks up the moisture rather
than wicking and promoting evaporation. A snug fitting ferseys or other shirts made from Polypro or
similar fabric will be cooler and more comfortable that a cotton T-shirt.

>If I were to participate in a group ride would my lack of jersey be considered weird?
>
>Joe

Depends on the group ride, but I suggest if they give you bad vibes for not wearing a "uniform" then
you probably want to ride with another group anyway.

jon isaacs

"Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather I
> wear a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed. I have a Cyclepro bag on my rack,
> so I have no need for pockets in my shirt. All my riding is solo.
>
> Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my
> lack of jersey be considered weird?

I don't wear jerseys much any more, although I ride with (fast) groups frequently, most of whom do
wear jerseys. I find T-shirts more comfortable, although I like Coolmax "Alta" ones much better than
cotton, cotton/poly blends or polypropylene. I find them typically for $10 or so (Duofold, etc.).

Cotton is probably OK in low humidity areas, it just gets really heavy with sweat, and takes forever
to dry when there's moisture in the air. I usually carry a mesh-backed wind vest to put on if I get
too cool. Whatever works for you. I know people who ride (hard) in Rayon "Hawaiian" shirts.

A jersey fits tighter... thus... avoiding flapping in the wind. Also having back pockets is a
nice feature.

BTW... avoid "Queer Gear".

fwiw

wrote in part:

>>If I were to participate in a group ride would my lack of jersey be considered weird?
>>
>>Joe
>
>Depends on the group ride, but I suggest if they give you bad vibes for not wearing a "uniform"
>then you probably want to ride with another group anyway.

I've seen this same question posed numerous times and I've always wondered- is my experience with
group rides so different than others? The only things any group I've ever ridden with cared about
were: 1- having a safe and troublefree ride. 2- the pace. Some liked faster, some liked slower but
they all wanted riders that maintained the preferred pace. 3- a fun route. 4- where we'd eat and
drink afterwards.

No one ever made any fashion statements that I heard. Of course, since I'm a style demigod maybe I
intimidated them. ;-)

Regards, Bob Hunt

wrote in part:

>BTW... avoid "Queer Gear".

Proving once again that as a troll, he's a one trick pony. Yawn.

Bob Hunt

"Hunrobe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >"Golightly F." [email protected]
>
> wrote in part:
>
> >BTW... avoid "Queer Gear".
>
> Proving once again that as a troll, he's a one trick pony. Yawn.
>
> Bob Hunt

Dangit Bob! I have that guy killfiled for a reason. Now quit responding to him so I don't have to
be exposed to his moronic ramblings. They do nothing but confuse the newcomers and irritate the
rest of us.

-Buck

[email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> No one ever made any fashion statements that I heard. Of course, since I'm a style demigod maybe I
> intimidated them. ;-)

Fast training rides tend to be more snobbish than slow recreational rides. However, if you can take
your turns at the head of the pace line, they won't mind if you're wearing a T-shirt and riding an
old Schwinn. They'll probably even be impressed.

Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote in news:MNOva.59321$O06.43480 @twister.nyroc.rr.com:
> > I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather I
> > wear a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed.
>
> A bike jersey is probably not much different than your EMS shirt. The big advantage of a jersey is
> that it will keep you cool on a long hot uphill, but then keep you warm on the following fast
> chilling downhill.
>
> > Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would my
> > lack of jersey be considered weird?
>
> No one will care, as long as you can keep up.

And if you cannot keep up they won't care much either. Their much too interested in themselves to
pay you any attention.

"Michael Pearlman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Joe Nordic" <[email protected]> wrote in news:MNOva.59321$O06.43480 @twister.nyroc.rr.com:
> > > I have been road riding for 3 years now. In hot weather I wear a tee shirt, in cooler weather
> > > I wear a long sleeve EMS bergelene top, adding a jacket as needed.
> >
> > A bike jersey is probably not much different than your EMS shirt. The big advantage of a jersey
> > is that it will keep you cool on a long
hot
> > uphill, but then keep you warm on the following fast chilling downhill.
> >
> > > Am I missing something by not using a jersey? If I were to participate in a group ride would
> > > my lack of jersey be considered
weird?

> > No one will care, as long as you can keep up.
>
> And if you cannot keep up they won't care much either. Their much too interested in themselves to
> pay you any attention.

Although I wear T-shirts, I think jerseys are better -- they tend to breath better and get rid of
the sweat. In AZ, the sweat evaporated regardless; here in CT, though, the sweat is tenacious as the
humidity is so high. The only problem with jerseys are finding the right size, finding one that
doesn't cost an obscene amount, and finding one that's in the right color (I like bright colors to
alert cars to my presence).

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

"archer" <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote in message ...
>> > No one will care, as long as you can keep up.
>
> Fabs might disagree with you, but not me <GGG>

I remember last summer a new guy showed up for one of my rides, he had a Specialized Allez A1
aluminum frame with a Shimano Utegra groupo, nothing special there but it passes ok for a newbie.

Then he comes over wearing a damn ruby jersey, I took the guy aside and had a word with him about
what a proper kit comprises of.

I guess he got the message because as I led the guys out of the parking lot for the hammer session I
looked over at the newbie's car and saw the Fred loading his bike onto the roof rack.

If you ever want to ride with the A group you better make sure you're wearing your team jersey.

On Tue, 13 May 2003 20:42:57 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> from Prodigy Internet
http://www.prodigy.com wrote:

>here in CT, though, the sweat is tenacious as the humidity is so high.

Oh, please. You don't know humidity. Come down here to Louisiana for some humidity.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I'm using my X-RAY VISION to obtain a rare
glimpse of the INNER WORKINGS of this POTATO!!

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 13 May 2003 20:42:57 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> from Prodigy Internet
> http://www.prodigy.com wrote:
>
> >here in CT, though, the sweat is tenacious as the humidity is so high.
>
> Oh, please. You don't know humidity. Come down here to Louisiana for some humidity.

Those dewpoints make it all the way up her to Chicagoland, so we "feel your pain". Ok, maybe not as
many days of the year, but we feel it!

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

Ken typed the following

> [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>> No one ever made any fashion statements that I heard. Of course, since I'm a style demigod maybe
>> I intimidated them. ;-)
>
> Fast training rides tend to be more snobbish than slow recreational rides. However, if you can
> take your turns at the head of the pace line, they won't mind if you're wearing a T-shirt and
> riding an old Schwinn. They'll probably even be impressed.

Nothing to do with cycling but others did seem impressed when I was rockclimbing with trainers
on (big routes in glencoe)they all had "stickies" on (rock climbing boots).They were even more
impressed when I told them (lying,[ I was at school and couldn't afford rock boots] )that I kept
my "stickies" for hard climbs( I was on top of "Big Top" a climb with a 5c crux[quite "hard"
enough for me])
--
yours K (Addy not usable [not that you would try it anyway]) There wis a Hare ran tae a burn it ran
sae fast it couldnae turn \\SPLASH// :eek:) [Please note grammar and descriptions are loose so no

On Tue, 13 May 2003 22:14:12 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I remember last summer a new guy showed up for one of my rides, he had a Specialized Allez A1
>aluminum frame with a Shimano Utegra groupo, nothing special there but it passes ok for a newbie.

In another thread, I remarked on the ******* term 'groupo', which has no legitimate meaning... Fabs
you blew it this time. In English, it's group. In Italian, it's gruppo. The term 'groupo' is totally
unnecessary. Only a euro-poseur would use such a word!

Another poster (forget who) asked where I had ever seen such a horrible term. There it is!

However, I DO love reading Fab's posts!

larry

Kevan Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 2003 20:42:57 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> from Prodigy Internet
> http://www.prodigy.com wrote:
>
> >here in CT, though, the sweat is tenacious as the humidity is so high.
>
> Oh, please. You don't know humidity. Come down here to Louisiana for some humidity.

I've been to Louisiana on several occasions and I wasn't that impressed.

People are always surprised at how hot and humid New England can be in August (especially).

Not at all a part of the New England image.

Now mosquitoes...well I was impressed in Louisiana!

SMH