Do I need a new cog set?

Allan

Guest
I'm new to mountain biking and I'm okay at it except for steep climbs. Aside from developing the
proper cadence and optimum climbing body position with practice, I can't help but think that a 32 or
34 tooth rear cog would help over my 28 tooth granny gear. I find myself straining to keep the
cranks spinning steadily (my guess is in the 60 to 70 rpm range depending on the hill) and then I
bail or blow up. Will getting a larger cog help or should I keep my old 28 and concentrate on the
developing the legs, skills, and fitness?

Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Allan at [email protected] wrote on 8/24/03 8:48 PM:

> I'm new to mountain biking and I'm okay at it except for steep climbs. Aside from developing the
> proper cadence and optimum climbing body position with practice, I can't help but think that a 32
> or 34 tooth rear cog would help over my 28 tooth granny gear.

(Just to confirm, you _don't_ mean that your smallest front chainring is a 28, do you? )

> I find myself straining to keep the cranks spinning steadily (my guess is in the 60 to 70 rpm
> range depending on the hill) and then I bail or blow up. Will getting a larger cog help or should
> I keep my old 28 and concentrate on the developing the legs, skills, and fitness?

You don't say what your actual gearing is up front, but a 28 tooth rear cog seems to be an
unnecessary impediment to your enjoyment.

If you run a 12-32 or 12-34, the worst thing that happens is that you don't use your small chainring
up front too often. Go for it.

Your knees will thank you, too.

-- Jim

"Jim Edgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB6FFA9E.4EF38%[email protected]...
> Allan at [email protected] wrote on 8/24/03 8:48 PM:
>
> > I'm new to mountain biking and I'm okay at it except for steep climbs. Aside from developing the
> > proper cadence and optimum climbing body
position
> > with practice, I can't help but think that a 32 or 34 tooth rear cog
would
> > help over my 28 tooth granny gear.
>
> If you run a 12-32 or 12-34, the worst thing that happens is that you
don't
> use your small chainring up front too often. Go for it.
>
> Your knees will thank you, too.

He MIGHT need a new rear derailleur to handle that 34 in the back; that seems to be the case with
the Shimano "Megaranges".

Sounds like a good idea. It can't really hurt, and if Allan masters this set of hills and doesn't
need the 34 any more, there are always steeper hills somewhere else.