Do I need a new tire?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Crist, Aug 10, 2005.

  1. David Crist

    David Crist Guest

    My front tire has developed a series of cracks where the side wall
    starts to round over to the running surface. Should I replace this
    tire? What causes this? Overinflation? Underinflation? I've got
    less than 1000 miles on this tire. Is there a rule of thumb related
    to mileage and tire replacement?

    I hate changing flats. Is a Kevlar tire the way to go?

    Tags:

  2. David Crist writes:

    > My front tire has developed a series of cracks where the side wall
    > starts to round over to the running surface. Should I replace this
    > tire? What causes this? Overinflation? Underinflation? I've got
    > less than 1000 miles on this tire. Is there a rule of thumb related
    > to mileage and tire replacement?

    Yes, but ho many years parked in daylight does this tire have. If the
    rubber is cracked, get new tires and ride them until they wear through
    to the cords, but ride them. That shouldn't take years.

    > I hate changing flats. Is a Kevlar tire the way to go?

    It doesn't matter what kind of casings they have if you age them
    forever. They all rot in time. It's the rubber that dies.

    Jobst Brandt

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    David Crist <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > My front tire has developed a series of cracks where the side wall
    > starts to round over to the running surface. Should I replace this
    > tire? What causes this? Overinflation? Underinflation? I've got
    > less than 1000 miles on this tire. Is there a rule of thumb related
    > to mileage and tire replacement?

    How many months has the tire been on your bike? If more than 1 year, it
    could be dry rot.

  4. David Crist wrote:

    >>My front tire has developed a series of cracks where the side wall
    >>starts to round over to the running surface. Should I replace this
    >>tire? What causes this? Overinflation? Underinflation?

    More likely underinflation, leading to excessive flex of the sidewalls.

    >>I've got
    >>less than 1000 miles on this tire. Is there a rule of thumb related
    >>to mileage and tire replacement?

    Cracks in the rubber are harmless. The rubber is not a structural part
    of the tire.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/tires

    An anonymous poster wrote:

    > How many months has the tire been on your bike? If more than 1 year, it
    > could be dry rot.

    Nope. Tires are not subject to dry rot. They are not made of wood.

    Sheldon "Old Myths Die Hard" Brown
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    | It is good to learn from your mistakes; |
    | It is better to learn from the mistakes of others. |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  5. IMKen

    IMKen Guest

    Ozone will kill a tire very fast.

    Ken

    "David Crist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My front tire has developed a series of cracks where the side wall
    > starts to round over to the running surface. Should I replace this
    > tire? What causes this? Overinflation? Underinflation? I've got
    > less than 1000 miles on this tire. Is there a rule of thumb related
    > to mileage and tire replacement?
    >
    > I hate changing flats. Is a Kevlar tire the way to go?

  6. "David Crist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My front tire has developed a series of cracks where the side wall
    > starts to round over to the running surface. Should I replace this
    > tire?

    Pump it up to maybe 20% over rated maximum, if no bulges develop in an hour, the
    tire's still ok to use, but deflate to rated maximum before riding.

    > What causes this? Overinflation? Underinflation?

    Riding on an underinflated tire will cause cracks.

    > I hate changing flats. Is a Kevlar tire the way to go?

    I found them very vulnerable to thorns 20 years ago. A teflon innertube liner
    goes far to eliminate flats, and they're so much fun to mount. Be more careful,
    because with the liner in place, there's about three times the likelihood of the
    innertube getting out between the tire and the rim. Inflate to 40 psi,
    completely deflate, massage the tire-tube-liner-rim assembly, and reinflate to
    half, three quarters, and full pressure, letting the assembly sit for a half
    hour between increases, and inspect carefully and frequently for that bulge near
    the rim. Let the whole thing set overnight before riding on it. This seems to
    eliminate the noisy blowouts caused by the tube popping out between the tire and
    the rim for me.