Do I need a road Bike as well

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by J&H-W, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. J&H-W

    J&H-W Guest

    I ride a light weight MTB (21lb) with slick tyres front & rear, Avg 28.5km on 1 & 2hr rides. Bike
    has full Suspension and comfortable as hell on tarseal. Usually get midfield in road races

    Ive an opertunity to buy a Road Bike, will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?

    Thanks for any comments....John.

    Tags:

  2. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "J&H-W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I ride a light weight MTB (21lb) with slick tyres front & rear, Avg 28.5km on 1 & 2hr rides. Bike
    > has full Suspension and comfortable as hell on tarseal. Usually get midfield in road races
    >
    > Ive an opertunity to buy a Road Bike, will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?
    >
    > Thanks for any comments....John.

    A full suspension bike that weighs 21lbs ! Come back when you have taken your medication.

    Graham

  3. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Definitely.

    J&H-W wrote:

    > Ive an opertunity to buy a Road Bike, will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?
    >
    > Thanks for any comments....John.

  4. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: "J&H-W" [email protected]

    >Avg 28.5km...

    >...will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?

    Certainly. Seems like you could average 32kmh+ easily on a road bike.

    Sig Chicago

  5. Erik Freitag

    Erik Freitag Guest

    In <[email protected]> J&H-W wrote:
    > I ride a light weight MTB (21lb) with slick tyres front & rear, Avg 28. 5km on 1 & 2hr rides. Bike
    > has full Suspension and comfortable as hell on tarseal. Usually get midfield in road races
    >
    > Ive an opertunity to buy a Road Bike, will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?
    >
    > Thanks for any comments....John.

    Wouldn't having your average times increase be a bad thing? Or is 28.5km too fast for you?

  6. The reason for this is the full-suspension, which is highly inefficient on smooth pavement.

    Dan

  7. Erik Freitag <[email protected]> writes:

    > In <[email protected]> J&H-W wrote:
    > > I ride a light weight MTB (21lb) with slick tyres front & rear, Avg 28. 5km on 1 & 2hr rides.
    > > Bike has full Suspension and comfortable as hell on tarseal. Usually get midfield in road races
    > >
    > > Ive an opertunity to buy a Road Bike, will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any comments....John.
    > >

    > Wouldn't having your average times increase be a bad thing?

    No, more time on the bike is a good thing.

    [snip]

    --
    Øyvind Røtvold ._ @ http://www.darkside.no/olr/index.html / //\. ... sciare necesse est ... \>> | \\

  8. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:20:08 +0000, Graham wrote:

    > A full suspension bike that weighs 21lbs ! Come back when you have taken your medication.

    Ever heard of Alex Moulton bikes?

    My 20-year old Moulton AM7 with mudguards (fenders) and pump, weighs a touch more. Later Moultons
    with more exotic components weigh somewhat less. Every Moulton ever built (starting 1962) has had
    full suspension.

    Mike

  9. R.H.

    R.H. Guest

    He said a 21 lb MTB.

    --
    ______________________________________

    The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will
    he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.

    --Samuel Butler--
    ______________________________________
    "Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:20:08 +0000, Graham wrote:
    >
    > > A full suspension bike that weighs 21lbs ! Come back when you have taken your medication.
    >
    > Ever heard of Alex Moulton bikes?
    >
    > My 20-year old Moulton AM7 with mudguards (fenders) and pump, weighs a touch more. Later Moultons
    > with more exotic components weigh somewhat less. Every Moulton ever built (starting 1962) has had
    > full suspension.
    >
    > Mike

    ---

  10. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    The 2001 Specialized S-Works FSR M4 (Med frame) is/was 21.5lbs out of the box. With 3.5
    inches travel.

    Mike - So he was rounding off a bit.