Do I need a road Bike as well

J&H-W

Guest
I ride a light weight MTB (21lb) with slick tyres front & rear, Avg 28.5km on 1 & 2hr rides. Bike
has full Suspension and comfortable as hell on tarseal. Usually get midfield in road races

Ive an opertunity to buy a Road Bike, will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?

Thanks for any comments....John.

"J&H-W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I ride a light weight MTB (21lb) with slick tyres front & rear, Avg 28.5km on 1 & 2hr rides. Bike
> has full Suspension and comfortable as hell on tarseal. Usually get midfield in road races
>
> Ive an opertunity to buy a Road Bike, will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?
>
> Thanks for any comments....John.

A full suspension bike that weighs 21lbs ! Come back when you have taken your medication.

Graham

Definitely.

J&H-W wrote:

> Ive an opertunity to buy a Road Bike, will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?
>
> Thanks for any comments....John.

>From: "J&H-W" [email protected]

>Avg 28.5km...

>...will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?

Certainly. Seems like you could average 32kmh+ easily on a road bike.

Sig Chicago

In <[email protected]> J&H-W wrote:
> I ride a light weight MTB (21lb) with slick tyres front & rear, Avg 28. 5km on 1 & 2hr rides. Bike
> has full Suspension and comfortable as hell on tarseal. Usually get midfield in road races
>
> Ive an opertunity to buy a Road Bike, will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?
>
> Thanks for any comments....John.

Wouldn't having your average times increase be a bad thing? Or is 28.5km too fast for you?

The reason for this is the full-suspension, which is highly inefficient on smooth pavement.

Dan

Erik Freitag <[email protected]> writes:

> In <[email protected]> J&H-W wrote:
> > I ride a light weight MTB (21lb) with slick tyres front & rear, Avg 28. 5km on 1 & 2hr rides.
> > Bike has full Suspension and comfortable as hell on tarseal. Usually get midfield in road races
> >
> > Ive an opertunity to buy a Road Bike, will my average times increase on a Road bike setup right?
> >
> > Thanks for any comments....John.
> >

> Wouldn't having your average times increase be a bad thing?

No, more time on the bike is a good thing.

[snip]

--
Øyvind Røtvold ._ @ http://www.darkside.no/olr/index.html / //\. ... sciare necesse est ... \>> | \\

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:20:08 +0000, Graham wrote:

> A full suspension bike that weighs 21lbs ! Come back when you have taken your medication.

Ever heard of Alex Moulton bikes?

My 20-year old Moulton AM7 with mudguards (fenders) and pump, weighs a touch more. Later Moultons
with more exotic components weigh somewhat less. Every Moulton ever built (starting 1962) has had
full suspension.

Mike

He said a 21 lb MTB.

--
______________________________________

The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will
he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.

--Samuel Butler--
______________________________________
"Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:20:08 +0000, Graham wrote:
>
> > A full suspension bike that weighs 21lbs ! Come back when you have taken your medication.
>
> Ever heard of Alex Moulton bikes?
>
> My 20-year old Moulton AM7 with mudguards (fenders) and pump, weighs a touch more. Later Moultons
> with more exotic components weigh somewhat less. Every Moulton ever built (starting 1962) has had
> full suspension.
>
> Mike

---

The 2001 Specialized S-Works FSR M4 (Med frame) is/was 21.5lbs out of the box. With 3.5
inches travel.

Mike - So he was rounding off a bit.