Do I need a road bike to get into touring

pete2480

Jul 16, 2012
Hi

a very inexperienced cyclist looking for some advice.

I am early forties and overwieght ex-smoker so I decided to do something about it and 12 months ago I packed in the fags and got a bike to do my commute. I got a urban bike (Merida Speeder T1) with a sprung seat because I had some disc problems with my back and wanted an upright and comfortable riding position. I am thinking of stepping up my exercise and fancy joining a local club. I would like to loose some weight, which despite the cycling has increased since I packed in smoking. My commute is around 9 miles each way which I do 3 / 4 times a week. A couple of things I am worried about, firstly how step up to club tours of this legnth from my daily commute? Secondly whether I need to change my equipment and if so what should I be looking for? Do I need a road bike with drop handles. Appreciate any advice.

Comfort on the bike is probably one of the more important aspects of managing longer rides ...

700c wheels are a little more efficient than 26" wheels ...

Tire size matters ...

Drop bars tend to be better for longer rides because they allow multiple hand positions & consequently less hand fatigue + the rider can generally have a more aerodynamic riding position which will mean less energy will be expended for any given speed if all other things are equal ...

BUT, IMO, the actual frame doesn't matter for most of us in most non-racing (i.e., speeds below 30mph) riding conditions.

I prefer to ride "drop" bars for most rides but use "uprights" as well. As far as drop bars being "required" for touring. I know guys who rode across the U.S. the "hard way", ( that is East to West on against prevailing winds), on their Mountain Bikes. I also have a friend I taught to ride who rode the Tour of Swan River Valley, "won"' a local double century, took 10th place in the Colorado District Championships, ( during which he "puked up" some bad blueberry muffins), He did all this and more while riding an old "classic" one speed Schwinn Cruiser he got from me, that he fitted with a 52X18 gear. He had a nice road bike but preferred the cruiser because, "it made the ride longer"

In short, ride what YOU are comfortable with, try some diifferent types so YOUR body can make an informed choice

Most clubs have all types of cyclists and do different levels of rides as far as speed and distance. Becoming a cyclist is a journey, it helps to know where you want to end up but the trip is most of the fun.If you join a club you will probably find people that will steer you and help you decide what kind of a cyclist you want to become.

I am much older than you.... but also quit smokes and gained weight. I returned to cycling after a foot problem progressed to where I couldn't walk much. I bicycle for the fun of it.... but my health [and a desirable weight] has also returned.

It may take a while... but your lungs should recover. If you want to lose weight... eat right... but count the calories. Portion control is better than fad diets and can be done for a lifetime.

I looked for an image of your Merida Speeder T1 and it's a nice looking bike! Welcome to the forum Pete.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter .
It may take a while... but your lungs should recover.
Yup. Raced as a teenager, took an athletic layoff through college in pursuit of the finer things (broads, smokes, booze, et al.) and returned to racing in the 90's. That went south after I met a hot dame who dragged me back in the world of vice, including ciggs. Did I mention she was smoking hot? Fast forward ten years and I'd managed to chug down close to 100,000 coffin nails and a whole lotta other unmentionables. In my 40's now and racing again, stronger than I ever was as a young guy on the bike, and very happy to be a non-smoker. The body is an amazing machine and unless it's slipped over the edge completely, has the amazing potential to right itself. Kids, don't try this at home.

OP, that Merida's a nice looking bike. Some slightly faster rolling tires would be my main consideration. A lot of the rest would be personal choice based on the needs exposed in your journey. As jhuskey eloquently stated, becoming a cyclist is a journey. One that may last a lifetime.

Hi All

Thanks for the advice. I found I could get a good road bike on the UK Cycle To Work scheme at 60% of its cost. So I have gone for a Merida Road Race 904 and I guess I can take it as far as my limits with a bike like this if the lungs can keep up. Danfoz your story made me smile as I can relate and I do hope to reach a similar positive outcome.

Peter