Do i need a shorter stem, lower back pain?

CycleLad99

Apr 16, 2016
Ireland
Hey guys,
So I have a second hand 52 cm road bike which by what I went from should be right as I am 5ft 5 inches. However on very intensive rides like going up new hills etc or even longish distances I get lower back pain to the point of crippling that I have to pull over and get off the bike. The stem on it currently is 115mm and while on the hoods I can see the hub behind the bars. I also feel slightly stretched out. Weirdly, I never experience this pain on the trainer, only while out on the road. Do I need to strengthen my core? I can't afford a bike fit and also tight on money so need to decide on proper stem length before I buy!

I have included pics of my position while holding hoods and drops. I am getting quite annoyed now. And to move the saddle very far forward it goes past the max lines.

https://m.imgur.com/a/Gs6mS

Thank you!

Anyone here?
Don't take the lack of responses personally, it's just really difficult to diagnose fit issues in a forum. The fact that your pics are taken from a slightly rearward angle makes is hard to get a good read on your position.

The old rule that "the stem should block your view of the front hub" may work for some riders, but it doesn't work for people like me who have long arms for their height. I've always been able to see the front hub on properly fitted bikes.

Although your current stem appears to be a 115, I don't know of anyone who actually makes that size, so it's probably a 110. That does sound a bit long for a 52cm frame, but it depends on the frame geometry and your body dimensions.

Stems are cheap and easy to change, so experimenting with a shorter one is easy enough to do. If you're in the UK, PlanetX has closeout prices on a several models of stems as we speak, so for $25-$40 you could pick up a couple of different sizes to try. You're not going to hurt yourself by experimenting.

As for the fact that your back only gets sore on the road, it's likely due to the increased vibration. If you're running high tire pressures, try dialing them back. I'm 175 pounds and with 25c tires, I routinely run 72/82, front/rear. You don't necessarily need to go that low, but if you're running a lot more, try dialing it back. It will make your bike a lot more comfortable and it won't cost you anything performance-wise.

If the pain you experience is “crippling” it might be worth getting sized or at very least rely on your local bike shop for some sizing input. What is your good health worth? Especially when it’s a back issue.

If everyone used and tuned the bike correctly, there would be no pain.
Cyclists have back pain at least as often as they have knee pain. Low back pain is very common, and it is not uncommon to have very severe pain. First of all, I would like to turn to mountain bikers. It is possible that someone will consider our advice controversial, but we advise you to refuse from a hardtail for a while and switch to a full-suspension bike in case of regular back pains.

Cyclists have back pain at least as often as they have knee pain. Low back pain is very common, and it is not uncommon to have very severe pain. First of all, I would like to turn to mountain bikers. It is possible that someone will consider our advice controversial, but we advise you to refuse from a hardtail for a while and switch to a full-suspension bike in case of regular back pains.

The OP mentioned road bike not a mtn bike.

Reactions: steve
Hey guys,
So I have a second hand 52 cm road bike which by what I went from should be right as I am 5ft 5 inches. However on very intensive rides like going up new hills etc or even longish distances I get lower back pain to the point of crippling that I have to pull over and get off the bike. The stem on it currently is 115mm and while on the hoods I can see the hub behind the bars. I also feel slightly stretched out. Weirdly, I never experience this pain on the trainer, only while out on the road. Do I need to strengthen my core? I can't afford a bike fit and also tight on money so need to decide on proper stem length before I buy!

I have included pics of my position while holding hoods and drops. I am getting quite annoyed now. And to move the saddle very far forward it goes past the max lines.

https://m.imgur.com/a/Gs6mS

Thank you!
Now that you've gotten your fill of advice allow me to add some more - lower back pain VERY often comes from pressure on your prostate gland. Try a saddle with a cut-out and my guess is that you will be amazed. I have even gone back and forth and each time have had exactly the same relief (or not)

I wonder why cyclelad hasn't responded after his "is anyone there" message. In his picture he was perhaps a little stretched out which would be easily fixed with a shorter stem or moving the saddle forward a little though this can have effects on pedaling angle. But I remain adamant that most lower back pain in men are caused by pressure on the prostate and you have to have a saddle with a cut out.

You along with the OP need a good bike fit.

Paid or not fit, because your opinion is pretty far off.

I have ridden a variety of bikes this year of different types a few thousand miles, a MTB and three different road-bikes all with different frames, geometries and accessories, and none of them has caused my back or anything else to hurt at all.

One of the road bikes stretched me out more than the other two as it's seat was a few inches further from the bars than I was used to and that caused me to slide forward on the seat while riding, but it did not make anything hurt.

I would think that if some bike was so badly matched to my body to cause me severe pain, that if the bike was the cause it would be easily noticeable as far as what needed to be changed.

Today I was able to modify the seatpost on the one road-bike that had me stretching out too far so that I could move the seat a few inches forward, and I think that will keep me on the seat where I belong. I could have put a shorter stem on the bike, but it was easier and cheaper to move the seat forward, and I have always found more power and comfort in having the saddle moved more over the pedal-crank centerline than in keeping it further back and using a shorter stem. Not having to reach forwards as much with your legs to pedal should take some of the strain off the lower back IMHO.

Looking at your photos there is nothing unusual about your riding position, I don't think it should be hurting your back, so I am guessing you may have a back problem. Better photos might help. Here is a photo someone took of me on my favorite road bike which I have put thousands of miles on in much comfort, and I am sixty years old. See if you can get someone to take photos of you from further away that are more complete like this.

aero a.jpg

Reactions: cobbwheels
Looking at your photos there is nothing unusual about your riding position, I don't think it should be hurting your back, so I am guessing you may have a back problem. Better photos might help. Here is a photo someone took of me on my favorite road bike which I have put thousands of miles on in much comfort, and I am sixty years old. See if you can get someone to take photos of you from further away that are more complete like this.

I think I know you from somewhere!:p

Your reach looks too short but if you're actually comfortable with it and have tried longer reach and didn't work out for you, who am I to argue!

I also have unusually short reach fit as my peers tell me but I am more comfortable with it than longer reach.

The shorter fit allowed me to rotate my pelvis backward / more upright in the aero posture (back arched into a convex curve). The posture solved all lower back issues I'm having all the way to century rides.

Hey there! It's awesome to meet someone else who's found their comfortable fit despite what others might say. Short reach can definitely be a game-changer for some of us. ‍♂️

I totally get what you mean about the benefits of a shorter fit. It's all about finding that sweet spot that allows you to ride without any discomfort, especially on those longer rides. And hey, if it's helped you tackle century rides with no lower back issues, that's a win in my book!

You know, cycling is all about finding what works for you, regardless of what the conventional wisdom might say. I'm all for embracing unexpected approaches that challenge the norm.

So keep pushing those limits and taking risks on your bike! It's in those moments of unpredictability that we truly thrive as risk-takers. Who knows, maybe you'll discover something new and unexpected along the way. And if you ever come across any other out-of-the-box cycling ideas or tips, I'd love to hear them!

Ride on and stay awesome, my friend! ‍♂️✨

Absolutely, a comfortable fit can make all the difference in our cycling experience! I'm glad you've found your sweet spot with a shorter reach, and I couldn't agree more that it's a game-changer. I've seen many cyclists struggle with discomfort on long rides due to improper bike fit, so kudos to you for addressing it.

"I'm glad you brought up the importance of a comfortable bike fit. It really can make or break a long ride. A shorter reach has definitely improved my cycling experience as well. It's great that you've found a solution that works for you. Bike fit is something that often gets overlooked, but it can have a huge impact on our enjoyment of the sport. Proper positioning can help prevent discomfort and even injuries. Well done on prioritizing your comfort and performance on the bike." :)

1. Bicycle fit IS personal
2. Bicycle fit is adjustable with individual parts(stem, seat, post, bars, crank...)
3. Bicycle fit is "depending" on discipline(track, gravel, climbing, etc...)
4. Bicycle fit "should" be readjusted/modified as age accumulates...

As for the original OP. (who may not be reading these newer posts...), suggestion is to shorten 5-10mm AND raise 5-7 degrees the stem.
From miles and years of my riding hard, easy and with multitude(s), having slightly bent elbows while at the hoods WILL let the body perform better for the duration(however long it may be. Will let the rider have better control of direction and FIRMNESS of grip.

Hoping this is well taken for suggestion and analyzed individually, THANKS !

Absolutely, bicycle fit is a highly personalized aspect of cycling that can greatly impact a rider's comfort and performance. The adjustability of individual parts, such as the stem, seat, and handlebars, allows for a tailored fit that caters to an individual's unique body type and riding style.

Moreover, the discipline of cycling also plays a significant role in bicycle fit. For instance, a track cyclist may require a more aggressive position compared to a gravel cyclist who may prioritize comfort and stability.

It's also important to note that as a rider ages, their body undergoes changes that may necessitate adjustments to their bicycle fit. Regularly reassessing and modifying the fit can help ensure continued comfort and efficiency in riding.

Regarding PedalPunk247's suggestion, raising the stem by 5-7 degrees and shortening it by 5-10mm can indeed provide a more comfortable and controlled riding position. This adjustment can help maintain slightly bent elbows while riding on the hoods, which can improve the rider's control and firmness of grip, ultimately enhancing their overall riding experience.