Do I need Look and SPD? (Spinning and road biking)

carsnoceans

Jul 24, 2010
Hi

I am looking for SPD shoes for indoor spinning (thats what my gym uses) and to put on my Orbea road bike. LBS suggests that SPD is traditionally MTB shoe and road bikers should use the 3-hole cleat, stiff-soled shoes. As a first timer road cyclist, its kindda confusing to me whether I need two pairs or can do with SPD on both indoor and outdoor.

For outdoors, I am weekend rider (no commuting at all) and don't see a reason/need to walk during the ride but having that option is nice. Reason being, I ride alone and not in groups so if I have bike troubles, I'll need to walk to get help. For spinning, I have been doing it 3 times/week for last few months and thinking of upgrading my footwear.

If SPD's are fine on road bikes, I wouldn't mind spending 80-100 bucks on a half-decent pair of shoes that can be used in both places (bike and spinner). Otherwise, I'd be inclined on buying cheaper shoes for both. Do I need to invest in both types of shoes or can I do with one type?

I have the same question. I see that the SPD cleats and shoes are under the mountain bike category, but they have a relatively light / aerodynamic pedal that wouldn't junk up a road bike too much. Also, I am looking for a long distance touring shoe, which an SPD would be perfect because I could walk around stores straight off the bike. I don't want to have bricks attached to my soles every time I walk into a convenience store. That is my understanding of the SPD shoe, that the clip is sort of embedded in the sole so walking it unaffected. Correct me if I am wrong. So is it a faux pas to use SPD "mountain bike" pedals one a road bike? What would be the reason not to other than maybe looking like a "rookie"? Thanks

Originally Posted by MrKook .

I have the same question. I see that the SPD cleats and shoes are under the mountain bike category, but they have a relatively light / aerodynamic pedal that wouldn't junk up a road bike too much. Also, I am looking for a long distance touring shoe, which an SPD would be perfect because I could walk around stores straight off the bike. I don't want to have bricks attached to my soles every time I walk into a convenience store. That is my understanding of the SPD shoe, that the clip is sort of embedded in the sole so walking it unaffected. Correct me if I am wrong. So is it a faux pas to use SPD "mountain bike" pedals one a road bike? What would be the reason not to other than maybe looking like a "rookie"? Thanks
Road-style cleats are supposed to offer a more positive engagement, and to spread the load over a larger part of your foot than a MTB-style cleat.
Apart from when the cleat is getting worn out I've never had a problem with the foot coming off unintentionally, so I wouldn't worry about the first.
The latter might be true if you compare between a road shoe and a low-end MTB shoe, but the ones I've used have all been stiff enough in the sole for my usage anyhow.
There's a small cornering and aero advantage to road pedals, as they're usually one-sided. You can lean harder while pedalling w/o having a pedal strike.

And yeah, MTB cleats are recessed into the sole, making walking rather normal. It will depend though on how worn your sole is and how you position the cleat. Cleat pulled all the way back you can get a slight tapping when walking on hard floors. Keep in mind that the higher grades of biking shoes have very stiff soles, which will affect walking a bit regardless of the cleat issue.

And don't worry too much about other riders. MTB style shoes are perfectly good for the majority of road riding circumstances too.
Those in a mood to criticise your gear will always find something no matter what, so you might as well ignore them.
And there's nothing wrong with being a rookie either, we've all been there, and the reason we're not still there is that time has passed, which isn't much thanks to us anyhow.
If you want to be taken seriously, practise your group riding skills, read up on the hand signals, make sure you can carry your own - i.e. ride within your capacity, learn to do your own roadside repairs and make sure to carry the tools and parts for it.
I'd be much more annoyed with someone starting out on a ride w/o spare tube + pump, or someone wobbling all over the road than with someone using the "wrong" kind of gear.

You can put SPD pedals on a road bike and be just fine. I have a friend who does it because he has spds on his xc bike and doesn't want a million pairs of shoes, and likes the ease of double sided entry. Some roadie purists would think this is a faux pas, but if you don't care what they think, then do what works best for you.

That being said, there are advantages to the stiffer sole on the road shoe (better power transfer) and the look pedals will give you more contact points with your foot that some people need to alleviate hot spots and other foot problems. So, again, see what works best for you, and go with it.

For what it's worth, I have SPDs on my xc bike (and spin bike) and Looks on my road bike, but that's just me.

I have a single sided SPD pedal on my road bike. Shimano made these years ago but unfortunately they are now obsolete os it`s hard to get parts.

I have a stiff soled road shoe and the cleat has a rubber pontoon that allows me to walk without slipping on the cleat.

Originally Posted by dabac .

Road-style cleats are supposed to offer a more positive engagement, and to spread the load over a larger part of your foot than a MTB-style cleat.
Apart from when the cleat is getting worn out I've never had a problem with the foot coming off unintentionally, so I wouldn't worry about the first.
The latter might be true if you compare between a road shoe and a low-end MTB shoe, but the ones I've used have all been stiff enough in the sole for my usage anyhow.
There's a small cornering and aero advantage to road pedals, as they're usually one-sided. You can lean harder while pedalling w/o having a pedal strike.

And yeah, MTB cleats are recessed into the sole, making walking rather normal. It will depend though on how worn your sole is and how you position the cleat. Cleat pulled all the way back you can get a slight tapping when walking on hard floors. Keep in mind that the higher grades of biking shoes have very stiff soles, which will affect walking a bit regardless of the cleat issue.

And don't worry too much about other riders. MTB style shoes are perfectly good for the majority of road riding circumstances too.
Those in a mood to criticise your gear will always find something no matter what, so you might as well ignore them.
And there's nothing wrong with being a rookie either, we've all been there, and the reason we're not still there is that time has passed, which isn't much thanks to us anyhow.
If you want to be taken seriously, practise your group riding skills, read up on the hand signals, make sure you can carry your own - i.e. ride within your capacity, learn to do your own roadside repairs and make sure to carry the tools and parts for it.
I'd be much more annoyed with someone starting out on a ride w/o spare tube + pump, or someone wobbling all over the road than with someone using the "wrong" kind of gear.
+1

Even as a newbie, I completely agree with you on being more prepared for the ride as being self-sufficient than having proper gear. Any tips on good learning resources? Although would you suggest carrying tube+pump+tools even on a 30-40mile ride (fairly near civilization)? I was under the impression this is more important on longer rides on far-off trails.

It seems SPD's might not be a bad choice for recreational riding... as I see it, I am doing more spinning (3times/week) than outdoor riding especially as winter approaches. Shoes might not be a bad investment for spinning. :)

Originally Posted by carsnoceans Even as a newbie, I completely agree with you on being more prepared for the ride as being self-sufficient than having proper gear. Any tips on good learning resources? Although would you suggest carrying tube+pump+tools even on a 30-40mile ride (fairly near civilization)? I was under the impression this is more important on longer rides on far-off trails.

It seems SPD's might not be a bad choice for recreational riding... as I see it, I am doing more spinning (3times/week) than outdoor riding especially as winter approaches. Shoes might not be a bad investment for spinning. :)

Well, a quick google for "bicycling hand signs" came up with this:http://www.inlandempirecycling.com/Cycling/hand_signals.htm
Some of those hits are bound to lead to info on group riding etiquette as well. Then, the rest is practice. Can't practise riding in a pace line alone ;-)
And yes, I recommend carrying flat-fixing stuff for pretty much any ride that isn't a shakedown ride around the block - or at least any ride that will mean that you're more than a 20 minutes walk away from home.
Can't really decide what's more of a nuisance - having to call for pickup or having to bail out on a ride...
Thing is - someone in the group is bound to have flat-fixing stuff with him/her, and will offer to lend you a tube, or maybe even offer to fix your flat for you. Just feels better to carry ones own.
How much tools you carry over that is pretty much your own call.
I carry enough to let me reset brake pads and a chain breaker, maybe a spoke wrench. Not as much to fix the bike as to get it into "limp-home mode"...

Dabac, thanks a lot for all the information. I will keep it in mind when I go shoe and pedal shopping in the near future.

And I can handle looking a like a rookie for using a more comfortable pedal for my application, but I agree with being annoyed at a "new" rider with no means to fix a flat or tighten a loose brake cable etc. If a rider plans on any kind of distance / commute riding it's important to be prepared. I am very in tune with roadside fixes and the gear required. Thanks again for the response.

I purchased SPD shoes and pedals for my road bike because I plan to take spin classes over the winter and SPD is what they use...

I do have single sided SPD pedals and while they were dirt cheap - they seem to work well. (they are my first clipless pedals so I do not have anything to compare them to)

Michael

Originally Posted by MrKook .

Dabac, thanks a lot for all the information. I will keep it in mind when I go shoe and pedal shopping in the near future.

And I can handle looking a like a rookie for using a more comfortable pedal for my application, but I agree with being annoyed at a "new" rider with no means to fix a flat or tighten a loose brake cable etc. If a rider plans on any kind of distance / commute riding it's important to be prepared. I am very in tune with roadside fixes and the gear required. Thanks again for the response.

Can you guys guide me to basic guide or fixes? At some point, I will start carrying basic tools but with oncoming winter its probably a good time for some indoor practice on my bike.

Originally Posted by carsnoceans .
Can you guys guide me to basic guide or fixes? At some point, I will start carrying basic tools but with oncoming winter its probably a good time for some indoor practice on my bike.

www.sheldonbrown.com is the standard response, and a goldmine of helpful bike info. Then there's the help section of Park Tools website, and also www. bicycletutor.com.