Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

do I need new rear derailleur?

Started by Sundog · · Last activity · 5 posts · 469 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 January 2004
Last activity
31 January 2004
Original author
Sundog
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
469
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am building up a new bike with Campy 10 speed stuff. I have an older 9
    speed derailleur which I would like to use. Campys Q&A section states the
    following:
    --------------------
    Q Does the 9s rear derailleur work the 10s drivetrain?

    A Absolutely not. There are major problems with that lateral clearance and excursion, and with the
    geometry of the parallelogram.

    --------------

    This seems a little hard to believe. Has anyone found this to be true? If I need a new derailleur I
    would rather find out now so that I don't have to mess the chain twice. Could this just be marketing
    hype to get me to drop another 200 bucks or is this really true?

  2. sundog-<< I am building up a new bike with Campy 10 speed stuff. I have an older 9 speed derailleur
    which I would like to use. Campys Q&A section states the following >><BR><BR>

    What crappola...I wonder if they have tried it. If the rear der is not worn out, it will work with
    10s shifters w/o modification...try it...

    I have put 10s rear ders onto old 8s systems and have used old, like a 1996 Athena on 10s
    systems...just try it.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:19:33 -0700, "sundog" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Q Does the 9s rear derailleur work the 10s drivetrain?

    A Absolutely not. There are major problems with that lateral clearance and excursion, and with the
    geometry of the parallelogram.

    My 2003 Record levers work perfectly with a 9sp "Titanium" rear derailleur. It's old and pre '91. I
    didn't change the pulleys or anything. The same derailleur has been in use with Campy 9 and 10 for
    about 5 years and I ride thousands of miles/yr.

  4. What do you think this is, a racket? This is NOT the Shimano STi Department! Relax!

    Any post 1992 Campagnolo rear changer will shift any 8, 9 or Ten Campagnolo system. It's so logical,
    but a lot of people expect it to be hard. I'm afraid Campagnolo has gone over to the "buy more"
    side. You'll find that pre 2000 stuff works with itself better than mixing pre and post 2000 ( that
    is the year the B screw moved from the upper pivot to the lower).

    And the wearing part of your system, the indexing springs, fit all models made after 1987!!

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    sundog said:

    I am building up a new bike with Campy 10 speed stuff. I have an older 9 speed derailleur which I
    would like to use. Campys Q&A section states the following:
    --------------------
    Q Does the 9s rear derailleur work the 10s drivetrain?

    A Absolutely not. There are major problems with that lateral clearance and excursion, and with the
    geometry of the parallelogram.

    --------------

    This seems a little hard to believe. Has anyone found this to be true? If I need a new derailleur
    I would rather find out now so that I don't have to mess the chain twice. Could this just be
    marketing hype to get me to drop another 200 bucks or is this really true?

  5. You can surely trust Qui si parla Campagnolo and Andrew Muzi....I just converted a Record Triple
    nine speed to a 10 by changing the front right shifter, chain and rear cogs. It works!

    CM

    "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What do you think this is, a racket? This is NOT the Shimano STi Department! Relax!

    Any post 1992 Campagnolo rear changer will shift any 8, 9 or Ten Campagnolo system. It's so
    logical, but a lot of people expect it to be hard. I'm afraid Campagnolo has gone over to the "buy
    more" side. You'll find that pre 2000 stuff works with itself better than mixing pre and post 2000
    ( that is the year the B screw moved from the upper pivot to the lower).

    And the wearing part of your system, the indexing springs, fit all models made after 1987!!

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    sundog said:

    I am building up a new bike with Campy 10 speed stuff. I have an older


    9

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    speed derailleur which I would like to use. Campys Q&A section states


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    following:
    --------------------
    Q Does the 9s rear derailleur work the 10s drivetrain?

    A Absolutely not. There are major problems with that lateral clearance


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    excursion, and with the geometry of the parallelogram.

    --------------

    This seems a little hard to believe. Has anyone found this to be true?


    If

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I need a new derailleur I would rather find out now so that I don't have


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    mess the chain twice. Could this just be marketing hype to get me to


    drop

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    another 200 bucks or is this really true?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.