Do I Need To Refuel For Rides Under 1 Hour ?

Aug 8, 2008
For rides under one hour, when cycling at a moderate intensity, do I need to refuel to replenish glycogen stores and get some protein into me.

Heres the thing, I dont mind refueling, but I want to reduce my waist so I dont want to put on weight. Im also only active once a day during exercise, thats it.

I was riding only 10 km , 30 minute rides but iv just stepped it up to 15-17 km and that takes me 46-50 minutes.

My question is, for rides under an hour do I need to refuel after a bike ride considering i ride at a moderate intensity (i.e noticable increased heart rate).

If so, how many carbs to you suggest I eat?

Iv started having 2 slices of white bread with jam. Its high GI so as far as I know I think im onto a good thing. I think im getting about 35 grams of carbs not including the jam.

What do you think?

Under one hour there is really no need to refuel as the body has enough energy to continue.

I'd also be inclined to say for rides under an hour there shouldn't really be any need to refuel. The body will be able to cope with that amount of time, depending of course on the terrain your cycling in.

If your cycling the alps then it might be an issue but other than that you should be fine!

Hello everyone! This is a good question. However, I do not think that you have to refuel after only about an hour of cycling. Keep in mind that you are supposed to be eating a nutritional diet on a regular basis. If this is the case for you, then riding for an hour should feel like a breeze!

Unless you're really pushing yourself up some steep climbs and can feel that you need a boost to recover, I think you should be fine skipping the refueling on short rides.

If you're worried about your energy levels, try having a light snack before you set off. A mix of protein and whole grains is always a good choice and should be more than enough to keep your going for an hour.

You ask a very important question. The fact is that a lot of us exercise but there's not a balance between exercising and eating. Therefore there is the risk of gaining weight. Then again I cannot diagnose for you a specific kind of diet seeing that we are all individual and unique with different metabolic rates. For me personally though, in going for a one hour ride I would not refuel with any kinds of protein or nutrients. I would have water. If I could only eat once a day I would.

jesolis said:
Hello everyone! This is a good question. However, I do not think that you have to refuel after only about an hour of cycling. Keep in mind that you are supposed to be eating a nutritional diet on a regular basis. If this is the case for you, then riding for an hour should feel like a breeze!
That's right and it's not even proper to eat while on the move. It's best to eat, digest and then ride.

No you do not need to do that. Only under certain circumstances would I. Like for example, I may have left the house without having breakfast or I feel extraordinary Lee Extraordinarily weak like I'm going to faint or blackout.

Your body can storage of glucose can last you for 1.5 hours depending on the intensity of your activity so i dont think theres a need to refuel with food. Drink water tho if you sweat a lot and get thirsty

Liquids are more important when your actually on the move wether you sweat a lot or not, its important to keep your bodies fluid level up.

As for eating in the move a banana here and there isn't going to cause too much harm but as others have said, on a ride as short as that it's not going to be essential.