do I need to replace my chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alex Graham

I noticed today my chain has stretched quite a bit, and when it sits on my chainwheel I can see
daylight between chain and wheel. Is this a problem given the rear sprockets are fine having worn
with the chain?

Is it standard practice to replace chain and rear freewheel every 2kmiles or so?

Thanks,

-Alex

--
----------------------+ Alex Graham | [email protected] | ----------------------+

Alex Graham wrote:
>
> I noticed today my chain has stretched quite a bit, and when it sits on my chainwheel I can see
> daylight between chain and wheel. Is this a problem given the rear sprockets are fine having worn
> with the chain?
>
> Is it standard practice to replace chain and rear freewheel every 2kmiles or so?

I leave them on as long as I can stand it, which comes to about 20k miles. Then replace the whole
drive train - chainwheel, chain and freewheel.

The sign to act is that the chain pops off the chainwheel when you accelerate from a stop in too
high a gear.

The other school is replace often and protect the chainwheel from wear.

You can't replace just the chain because a new chain will skip on an old freewheel, so replace chain
and freewheel.

Running with a stretched chain costs you energy, if that matters. It's very noticeable for a few
days after you replace it and then you don't notice it any more.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

Thanks for the advice.

I have to say during winter I found myself cleaning the chain at least twice!

I havent noticed it jumping, just noticed the way it didnt sit on the chainring properly. Its a
sachs chain, and my maintenance consists of either:

Spray with TF2

or remove, soak in white spirit while cleaning with a paintbrush, allow to dry, replace on bike, one
drop of bike oil on each link, and a spray or TF2 for good measure :)

Does this sound good or bad?

--
----------------------+ Alex Graham | [email protected] | ----------------------+

"Alex Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> I have to say during winter I found myself cleaning the chain at least twice!
>
> I havent noticed it jumping, just noticed the way it didnt sit on the chainring properly. Its a
> sachs chain, and my maintenance consists of either:
>
> Spray with TF2
>
> or remove, soak in white spirit while cleaning with a paintbrush, allow to dry, replace on bike,
> one drop of bike oil on each link, and a spray or TF2 for good measure :)
>
> Does this sound good or bad?

Sounds fine. You should measure your chain to determine the amount of wear. I place a metal 12" rule
along the lower chain run and measure from the leading edge of one pin to the pin 12" away. When 12"
lines up on the trailing edge of the other pin (one pin's width of wear in 12"), I replace the
chain. If you let your chain wear more than this, it will wear the cassette rapidly, otherwise, you
should be able to go through several chains before needing a new cassette, and maybe a couple of
cassettes before new chain rings. I don't think expensive chains last any longer than cheap ones, so
I just buy $10 chains and replace them frequently.

Lubrication lasts a long time on a chain that isn't ridden in the rain, don't over-lubricate, since
that's just making the chain greasier and better at picking up grit. Lubing a dirty chain washes the
grit into the places where it can cause wear.

Ron Hardin wrote:

> Alex Graham wrote:
> >
> > I noticed today my chain has stretched quite a bit, and when it sits on my chainwheel I can see
> > daylight between chain and wheel. Is this a problem given the rear sprockets are fine having
> > worn with the chain?
> >
> > Is it standard practice to replace chain and rear freewheel every 2kmiles or so?
>
> I leave them on as long as I can stand it, which comes to about 20k miles. Then replace the whole
> drive train - chainwheel, chain and freewheel.
>
> --
> Ron Hardin [email protected]
>

I do the same except for replacing the chainring. I'm just ending year three on the same Sachs 7-8
speed chain and HG cassette (close to 20K miles also). FWIW, I do not have index shifting, and my 16
& 17 tooth cogs are getting really pointed.

Ken

kwalters <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ron Hardin wrote:
>
> > Alex Graham wrote:
> > >
> > > I noticed today my chain has stretched quite a bit, and when it sits on my chainwheel I can
> > > see daylight between chain and wheel. Is this a problem given the rear sprockets are fine
> > > having worn with the chain?
> > >
> > > Is it standard practice to replace chain and rear freewheel every 2kmiles or so?
> >
> > I leave them on as long as I can stand it, which comes to about 20k miles. Then replace the
> > whole drive train - chainwheel, chain and freewheel.
> >
> > --
> > Ron Hardin [email protected]
> >
>
> I do the same except for replacing the chainring. I'm just ending year three on the same Sachs 7-8
> speed chain and HG cassette (close to 20K miles also). FWIW, I do not have index shifting, and my
> 16 & 17 tooth cogs are getting really pointed.
>
> Ken

I'd sure try a new chain and freewheel / casette. Hold off on the chainwheels and see how it goes.
If you don't need them, it could save some real money.

BTW, I envy your time in the saddle and or speed.

Good luck, and I'm interested to know the outcome.

Steve Shapiro [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.