Do I need to replace my MTB handle bars ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bob, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hi,

    I am sure I read somewhere you should replace your mountain bike handlebars regularly.

    I have covered 9000 miles (mostly light cross country) over the last three years with the original
    Marin aluminium straight bars.

    There is no sign of wear, but the last thing I want is for them to give way half way down a
    steep slope!

    What do you think?

    Cheers,

    Bob

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am sure I read somewhere you should replace your mountain bike handlebars regularly.
    >
    > I have covered 9000 miles (mostly light cross country) over the last three years with the original
    > Marin aluminium straight bars.
    >
    > There is no sign of wear, but the last thing I want is for them to give way half way down a
    > steep slope!
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Bob

    If it is a source of stress that takes away from your riding, then by all means replace your bars
    now. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it for a bit yet. Then again, I don't know how many times the
    bike's been down, your riding style, and other pertinent info...

    I don't remember seeing a mtn bar fail that wasn't involved in some kind of crash and I've been
    riding for a long time. YMMV, and someone like Peter or Sheldon may have, I just haven't.

    Mike

  3. Johnless

    Johnless Guest

    Just keep checking them for stress cracks - loosen the bar and pull it away from the stem to check.
    I've been running my Scott bars for 6 years w/o a problem.