Do I need to replace my MTB handle bars ?

Bob

Guest
Hi,

I am sure I read somewhere you should replace your mountain bike handlebars regularly.

I have covered 9000 miles (mostly light cross country) over the last three years with the original
Marin aluminium straight bars.

There is no sign of wear, but the last thing I want is for them to give way half way down a
steep slope!

What do you think?

Cheers,

Bob

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I am sure I read somewhere you should replace your mountain bike handlebars regularly.
>
> I have covered 9000 miles (mostly light cross country) over the last three years with the original
> Marin aluminium straight bars.
>
> There is no sign of wear, but the last thing I want is for them to give way half way down a
> steep slope!
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob

If it is a source of stress that takes away from your riding, then by all means replace your bars
now. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it for a bit yet. Then again, I don't know how many times the
bike's been down, your riding style, and other pertinent info...

I don't remember seeing a mtn bar fail that wasn't involved in some kind of crash and I've been
riding for a long time. YMMV, and someone like Peter or Sheldon may have, I just haven't.

Mike

Just keep checking them for stress cracks - loosen the bar and pull it away from the stem to check.
I've been running my Scott bars for 6 years w/o a problem.