DO I really NEED a power meter?

sbwirtz

Aug 7, 2003
I need some help deciding which cyclometer/training unit to get, and I figured some of you will be able to give me some good advice.

I currently do not race...I do an occasional 10 mile TT...group ride 1-2 times/week...and ride solo for the majority of my training. I do wish to increase my cycling efficiency and compete in some ultra-cycling events in the coming years.

Currently Using: Polar S410 HRM (that is experiencing end-of-life issues) and Specialized Cycling computer with Altitude and Cadence (that I am not fond of for various reasons)

My Needs/Wants:
1) In addition to all of the basic cycling functions (avg/max/current speed, distance, stopwatch), I'd like access to heart rate, altitude, cadence, (maybe kcal burned), and the ability to download workout files is important.
2) Power would be nice...but not at a 4-figure price point. Would consideration a system that would allow me to add later
3) GPS intrigues me for the ability to ride against my previous best in "real time" as well as to find my way to the nearest banana retailer or my way home.
4) I prefer wireless systems.
5) Rear wheel speed sensor would be preferable for riding indoors with roller stand where I work out year 'round--power option must be usable on rollers
6) Must be able to configure display so that current speed, cadence, HRM, and power(if chosen) all show simultaneously.
7) Ability to use on 2 or more bikes is necessary (all 700c)
8) Must be intuitive and easy to use. I don't want complicated recallibrations.

Options (Very Open to Suggestions):
1) Polar CS600
2) iBike Pro w/ HRM and Cadence
2) Garmin Edge 705 w/ HRM and Cadence
4) Polar S7xxi,Garmin Edge 305 w/ HRM and Cadence, Ergomo or Power Tap used on eBay

I am currently leaning towards the Garmin Edge 705, which is due to be released in soon, and adding the power unit later. The iBike intrigues me...especially at that price point.

Can anyone provide feedback on any of these? Please be specific with pros and cons. Thanks!

if you find gps motivational, go with a garmin. the screen is very configurable and it handles altitude as well. personally i didnt care for the gps data when i had one, because i find chasing power numbers more motivating.

it seems like the garmin power addon is just a provision for compatability with an srm... and that is not going to come cheap...multiples of the price of the computer.

the polar unit is smart and extensible in so far as cadence and power sensors are optional. on the other hand the power meter involves strapping a ton of rubbish to your bike and it's relliability in terms of data and service is poor.... again those are reflections from when i had one.

to be fair the only serious power meters are SRM and Powertap. if one of those is too much of a luxury, just go with your favorite package that has everything except power.

The Powertap can operate as a cyclocomputer recording speed, time, distance, cadence, HR for download to PC and can be set up for rear wheel speed AFAIK. See the Saris site for details on that option.

Later on you could buy the powertap hub/wheel and move onto training with power.

There are wired and wireless versions. Wireless is more expensive though.

PT doesn't have GPS though, nor an altimeter, if they are important functions to you.

Currently there is no power meter on the market that communicates with the Garmin, so it's vapourware until it is actually out there and is proven to work reliably.

sbwirtz said:
6) Must be able to configure display so that current speed, cadence, HRM, and power(if chosen) all show simultaneously.
The powertap computer will not do this. The top row of the display will show power, the middle can show either speed, cadence or HR, and the bottom will show another parameter (listed above, or time, distance, kJ used). On the plus side, once you learn to use power you won't care about HR anymore, so that will free up one spot on the display. ;)

Seriously, doesn't sound like you really NEED a power meter, to me. :)

the polar unit is smart and extensible in so far as cadence and power sensors are optional. on the other hand the power meter involves strapping a ton of rubbish to your bike and it's relliability in terms of data and service is poor.... again those are reflections from when i had one.

to be fair the only serious power meters are SRM and Powertap. if one of those is too much of a luxury, just go with your favorite package that has everything except power.[/QUOTE]
I believe that I understand where you are coming from with the above statement but I do also believe that the thoughtful and conscientious postings of Tom Anhalt through the years have established the case that the Polar- properly setup- (old version at least) can be considered a serious power meter. And last I read he was finding satisfactory results with a comparison between his Powertap and and ErgomoPro.

Scott Simpson

The old wired Polar Power units are very good and accurate in the biking workout speed ranges, and that's what matters to me so I have 5 of them. They can be bought as cheap as $150 used off ebay [my cheapest one]. My 4 used ones off of ebay were good except for 1 and the seller exchanged it for another one.

I don't trust the new CS600.

I'm dissappointed in my ergomo pro. Works but doesn't download data and ergomo did not respond to my 3 email warranty requests. So I'll give them a call! The computer units go bad!

robkit said:
it seems like the garmin power addon is just a provision for compatability with an srm... and that is not going to come cheap...multiples of the price of the computer.
Also, compatibility with the Quarq Cinqo - quite a bit less than an SRM, but still $1200 + cost of a compatible crank. Cinqo should be released soon after the Edge 705. (Maybe simultaneous with the 705 if Garmin keeps stalling!)

sbwirtz said:
I need some help deciding which cyclometer/training unit to get, and I figured some of you will be able to give me some good advice.

I currently do not race...I do an occasional 10 mile TT...group ride 1-2 times/week...and ride solo for the majority of my training. I do wish to increase my cycling efficiency and compete in some ultra-cycling events in the coming years.

Currently Using: Polar S410 HRM (that is experiencing end-of-life issues) and Specialized Cycling computer with Altitude and Cadence (that I am not fond of for various reasons)

My Needs/Wants:
1) In addition to all of the basic cycling functions (avg/max/current speed, distance, stopwatch), I'd like access to heart rate, altitude, cadence, (maybe kcal burned), and the ability to download workout files is important.
2) Power would be nice...but not at a 4-figure price point. Would consideration a system that would allow me to add later
3) GPS intrigues me for the ability to ride against my previous best in "real time" as well as to find my way to the nearest banana retailer or my way home.
4) I prefer wireless systems.
5) Rear wheel speed sensor would be preferable for riding indoors with roller stand where I work out year 'round--power option must be usable on rollers
7) Ability to use on 2 or more bikes is necessary (all 700c)
8) Must be intuitive and easy to use. I don't want complicated recallibrations.

Options (Very Open to Suggestions):
1) Polar CS600
2) iBike Pro w/ HRM and Cadence
2) Garmin Edge 705 w/ HRM and Cadence
4) Polar S7xxi,Garmin Edge 305 w/ HRM and Cadence, Ergomo or Power Tap used on eBay

I am currently leaning towards the Garmin Edge 705, which is due to be released in soon, and adding the power unit later. The iBike intrigues me...especially at that price point.

Can anyone provide feedback on any of these? Please be specific with pros and cons. Thanks!
You don't really need a power meter. Sure, they're useful if you really know how to interpret all the data and you need to extract a precise amount of training out of any given session. If you don't require that level of precision and would prefer to go for a hard ride for a couple of hours and spend some of that looking at the cows in the field and cruise along at twenty something miles per hour then a regular bike computer with HR would suffice.

I got a CS600 a while bike. I stopped looking at the altitude and % grade as I could tell that I was getting higher up the hill and when it gets steep your gears go down and the discomfort goes up. You can tell that without a cycle computer. The altimeter on the CS600 aint that great. In last years Deathride, the first time up Monitor Pass was ~7,900ft the second time at the summit was 8,200. Ebbetts pass was right on the money at just over 8,700ft but Carson pass was almost 9,000ft.

You don't really need a power meter, especially after having one for a few years. :)

swampy1970 said:
You don't really need a power meter. Sure, they're useful if you really know how to interpret all the data and you need to extract a precise amount of training out of any given session. If you don't require that level of precision and would prefer to go for a hard ride for a couple of hours and spend some of that looking at the cows in the field and cruise along at twenty something miles per hour then a regular bike computer with HR would suffice.
Well, I agree no one needs a PM. However, I disagree that one needs to "know how to interpret all the data and [...] to extract a precise amount of training out of any given session." The longer I use a PM, the less info I track.

swampy1970 said:
The altimeter on the CS600 aint that great. In last years Deathride, the first time up Monitor Pass was ~7,900ft the second time at the summit was 8,200. Ebbetts pass was right on the money at just over 8,700ft but Carson pass was almost 9,000ft.
The discrepancies in elevation are probably due to the change in barometric pressure throughout the day.

As far a the original post, if you think you want a powermeter before ever using one, then there's a good chance that you would get addicted to it like a lot of the rest of us have. It isn't any fun to start out with something cheap (that really isn't all that cheap), just to have to upgrade and spend more money anyway. It's my understanding that the Ibike and Polar power meters are at best second-rate. At a bare minimum I would recommend the Powertap SL (wired). You can get into one for about $1100 (not much more than Polar with Power, $700+) and it's easy to install, use, and pretty dependable. If you're hell-bent on wireless, the SL 2.4 is about $400 more. Some of the best advice I have ever received is "Buy the best and cry once.":rolleyes: :rolleyes:

phantoj said:
Also, compatibility with the Quarq Cinqo - quite a bit less than an SRM, but still $1200 + cost of a compatible crank. Cinqo should be released soon after the Edge 705. (Maybe simultaneous with the 705 if Garmin keeps stalling!)
FYI: REI started shipping 705s today. They have 400 in stock. http://www.rei.com/product/766260