Do mechanics get colon cancer?

Tibur Waltson

Guest
A mechanic neighbor has symptoms of colon cancer. (Stool bleeding.) When ever he eats hamburgers,
hot-dogs or anything that requires his greasy hands, he does not wash his hands after making greasy
car or truck repairs.

People know he would catch cancer for doing this and they warn him. He rubs his hands on rags before
touching food. After a meal you can see more grease being rub off. One other mechanic dies after his
intestines completely fuse together. Is it possible to catch cancer from our greasy hands?

"Tibur Waltson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A mechanic neighbor has symptoms of colon cancer. (Stool bleeding.) When ever he eats hamburgers,
> hot-dogs or anything that requires his greasy hands, he does not wash his hands after making
> greasy car or truck repairs.
>
> People know he would catch cancer for doing this and they warn him. He rubs his hands on rags
> before touching food. After a meal you can see more grease being rub off. One other mechanic
> dies after his intestines completely fuse together. Is it possible to catch cancer from our
> greasy hands?

Mom was right. Wash your hands before you eat.

Tibur Waltson wrote:

> A mechanic neighbor has symptoms of colon cancer. (Stool bleeding.) When ever he eats hamburgers,
> hot-dogs or anything that requires his greasy hands, he does not wash his hands after making
> greasy car or truck repairs.
>
> People know he would catch cancer for doing this and they warn him. He rubs his hands on rags
> before touching food. After a meal you can see more grease being rub off. One other mechanic
> dies after his intestines completely fuse together. Is it possible to catch cancer from our
> greasy hands?

No. But I someone who got syphyllis from a welder. But this was a guy, not the machine.

Symptoms of colon cancer? Interesting.

Rectal bleeding can mean about 100 other things besides colon cancer.

If he's bleeding from colon cancer, then it's about curtains for him.... and it's probably spread to
the liver.

Used motor oil is a carcinogen. It's possible that his greasy meals have contributed to colon
cancer, but I doubt it.

"Tibur Waltson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A mechanic neighbor has symptoms of colon cancer. (Stool bleeding.) When ever he eats hamburgers,
> hot-dogs or anything that requires his greasy hands, he does not wash his hands after making
> greasy car or truck repairs.
>
> People know he would catch cancer for doing this and they warn him. He rubs his hands on rags
> before touching food. After a meal you can see more grease being rub off. One other mechanic
> dies after his intestines completely fuse together. Is it possible to catch cancer from our
> greasy hands?

"Tibur Waltson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> A mechanic neighbor has symptoms of colon cancer. (Stool bleeding.) When ever he eats hamburgers,
> hot-dogs or anything that requires his greasy hands, he does not wash his hands after making
> greasy car or truck repairs.
>
> People know he would catch cancer for doing this and they warn him. He rubs his hands on rags
> before touching food. After a meal you can see more grease being rub off. One other mechanic
> dies after his intestines completely fuse together. Is it possible to catch cancer from our
> greasy hands?

Thanks for warning us all about this danger of fusing our intestines together. I was under the
impression that all that grease, especially any STP, would make the intestines so slippery that they
would pop right out in the toilet when you took a dump. But your fusion theory makes more sense
because then the fecal material cannot evacuate and starts to back up. I know several mechanics with
the disease.

"Tibur Waltson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> A mechanic neighbor has symptoms of colon cancer. (Stool bleeding.) When ever he eats hamburgers,
> hot-dogs or anything that requires his greasy hands, he does not wash his hands after making
> greasy car or truck repairs.
>
> People know he would catch cancer for doing this and they warn him. He rubs his hands on rags
> before touching food. After a meal you can see more grease being rub off. One other mechanic
> dies after his intestines completely fuse together. Is it possible to catch cancer from our
> greasy hands?

Colon cancer is caused by eating hamburgers and hot dogs. With or without greasy hands.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:04:44 -0500, "Clem"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Symptoms of colon cancer? Interesting.
>
>Rectal bleeding can mean about 100 other things besides colon cancer.

But it's often easy to check for colon cancer and this should be done urgently. A few weeks or
months delay could make a cure more difficult.

>If he's bleeding from colon cancer, then it's about curtains for him.... and it's probably spread
>to the liver.

Plenty of people have been cured from colon cancer, and some are cured even after it's spread to the
liver. Me for example. I had a colon tumor removed 10 years ago and a large liver tumor removed 8
years ago, and no problems since.

>Used motor oil is a carcinogen. It's possible that his greasy meals have contributed to colon
>cancer, but I doubt it.
>

>"Tibur Waltson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> A mechanic neighbor has symptoms of colon cancer. (Stool bleeding.) When ever he eats hamburgers,
>> hot-dogs or anything that requires his greasy hands, he does not wash his hands after making
>> greasy car or truck repairs.
>>
>> People know he would catch cancer for doing this and they warn him. He rubs his hands on rags
>> before touching food. After a meal you can see more grease being rub off. One other mechanic
>> dies after his intestines completely fuse together. Is it possible to catch cancer from our
>> greasy hands?

There are carcinogens everywhere. One third of all people will get cancer at some time in their
lives (although they may die of other causes first), and a regular check may help catch cancer early
enough to get rid of it.

To reduce the chance of colon cancer it's best to avoid eating lots of red meat or burnt meat, and
it's a good idea to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Plenty of people have been cured from colon cancer, and some are cured even after it's spread to
> the liver. Me for example. I had a colon tumor removed 10 years ago and a large liver tumor
> removed 8 years ago, and no problems since.
Good to hear. Do you still go for check-ups?

--
madiba

"madiba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1g8f9f9.nvxiae1udmeofN%[email protected]...
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Plenty of people have been cured from colon cancer, and some are cured even after it's spread to
> > the liver. Me for example. I had a colon tumor removed 10 years ago and a large liver tumor
> > removed 8 years ago, and no problems since.
> Good to hear. Do you still go for check-ups?

Hell, he's got less and less to check each year!

Ed

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:38:45 +0100, [email protected] (madiba) wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Plenty of people have been cured from colon cancer, and some are cured even after it's spread to
>> the liver. Me for example. I had a colon tumor removed 10 years ago and a large liver tumor
>> removed 8 years ago, and no problems since.
>Good to hear. Do you still go for check-ups?

I have a checkup once a year now. There is a blood test (CEA) which can indicate the presence of
cancer in some people, and for me the CEA test worked well, as the reading started to double every
month just before the liver met was found. Three-quarters of the liver was removed. The liver grows
back in a few months, my liver function was normal after 3 months. CEA has remained at about 0.5 for
8 years. I now have a normal and very active life, e.g. climbing mountains and recently kayaked 40
kilometres.

[email protected] (Matt) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Tibur Waltson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > A mechanic neighbor has symptoms of colon cancer. (Stool bleeding.) When ever he eats
> > hamburgers, hot-dogs or anything that requires his greasy hands, he does not wash his hands
> > after making greasy car or truck repairs.
> >
> > People know he would catch cancer for doing this and they warn him. He rubs his hands on rags
> > before touching food. After a meal you can see more grease being rub off. One other mechanic
> > dies after his intestines completely fuse together. Is it possible to catch cancer from our
> > greasy hands?
>
> Colon cancer is caused by eating hamburgers and hot dogs. With or without greasy hands.

Try to find a mechanic that washes his hands AFTER eating burgers and hot dogs. Otherwise squirrels
and mice will be attracted to your engine compartment and might damage the wiring.

I'm glad to hear you are doing well.

I wasn't speaking purely literally though.

It would seem that grease on the skin in high enough amounts to cause colon cancer when residue of
it is eaten, then you'd have skin cancer from all of it on your hands all the time.

I agree, the key to cancer survival is catching it early. It seems they'd have a body scan for
cancer by now.... Colonoscopy just doesn't sound very pleasant.

FWIW, if someone have stage 4 colon cancer.... they'd better write their will. :-(

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:04:44 -0500, "Clem" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Symptoms of colon cancer? Interesting.
> >
> >Rectal bleeding can mean about 100 other things besides colon cancer.
>
> But it's often easy to check for colon cancer and this should be done urgently. A few weeks or
> months delay could make a cure more difficult.
>
> >If he's bleeding from colon cancer, then it's about curtains for him....
and
> >it's probably spread to the liver.
>
> Plenty of people have been cured from colon cancer, and some are cured even after it's spread to
> the liver. Me for example. I had a colon tumor removed 10 years ago and a large liver tumor
> removed 8 years ago, and no problems since.
>
> >Used motor oil is a carcinogen. It's possible that his greasy meals have contributed to colon
> >cancer, but I doubt it.
> >

> >"Tibur Waltson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> A mechanic neighbor has symptoms of colon cancer. (Stool bleeding.) When ever he eats
> >> hamburgers, hot-dogs or anything that requires his greasy hands, he does not wash his hands
> >> after making greasy car or truck repairs.
> >>
> >> People know he would catch cancer for doing this and they warn him. He rubs his hands on rags
> >> before touching food. After a meal you can see more grease being rub off. One other mechanic
> >> dies after his intestines completely fuse together. Is it possible to catch cancer from our
> >> greasy hands?
>
> There are carcinogens everywhere. One third of all people will get cancer at some time in their
> lives (although they may die of other causes first), and a regular check may help catch cancer
> early enough to get rid of it.
>
> To reduce the chance of colon cancer it's best to avoid eating lots of red meat or burnt meat, and
> it's a good idea to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 16:39:00 -0500, "Clem"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I agree, the key to cancer survival is catching it early. It seems they'd have a body scan for
>cancer by now.... Colonoscopy just doesn't sound very pleasant.

Many colonoscopy patients are put asleep at the time. I like to watch the TV monitor from the scope
to be assured that there are no further problems. It's quite painless. The worst bit is having to
drink about 10 litres of salty water beforehand.

>FWIW, if someone have stage 4 colon cancer.... they'd better write their will. :-(

Writing a will is a good idea before any operation. But stage 4 colon cancer can still be cured. I
was diagnosed as stage 3 since a number of lymph nodes were also affected, but it had already gone
to the liver at the time, so really I was stage 4, and I'm fine now after 8 years.

I now try to convince people to take the treatments offered to them and not give up, and to have odd
symptoms investigated.

While we are on the nasty subject of cancer I assume everyone knows to not breathe in the asbestos
dust from your brakes, and to not blow it all around your workshop with an air hose?

> I'm glad to hear you are doing well.
>
> I wasn't speaking purely literally though.
>
> It would seem that grease on the skin in high enough amounts to cause colon cancer when residue of
> it is eaten, then you'd have skin cancer from all of it on your hands all the time.
>
> I agree, the key to cancer survival is catching it early. It seems they'd have a body scan for
> cancer by now.... Colonoscopy just doesn't sound very pleasant.

Well - MRI's are getting better all the time. It's just that having human beings scan the slices
that an MRI takes isn't as effective as we'd like it to be. Until we develop an automated system to
look for scan anomalies it isn't going to happen. But it's coming.

> FWIW, if someone have stage 4 colon cancer.... they'd better write their will. :-(

I watched my fathers 2nd wife go through colon cancer. It ultimately killed her and she had caught
it early, being an RN and all. Cancer of the colon, liver or lungs is usually a death sentence.
Remission is possible in a very small number of cases. And once if it's metastatic, forget it.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 16:39:00 -0500, "Clem" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Writing a will is a good idea before any operation. But stage 4 colon cancer can still be cured. I
> was diagnosed as stage 3 since a number of lymph nodes were also affected, but it had already gone
> to the liver at the time, so really I was stage 4, and I'm fine now after 8 years.

Very well put. And congratulations! I sound cynical because stage 4 colon cancer took a close family
member of mine. But it was advanced stage 4. It's good to hear of someone making it through it
though. I did say 98% ;-)

"noname" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I watched my fathers 2nd wife go through colon cancer. It ultimately killed her and she had caught
> it early, being an RN and all. Cancer of the colon, liver or lungs is usually a death sentence.
> Remission is possible in a very small number of cases. And once if it's metastatic, forget it.

Not true. It depends on the kind of cancer. I had testicular cancer about over 10 years ago and it
had metastized and was pretty advanced, spread throughout my body and all that. But I reacted well
to chemo and was fully cured.

You should never tell people that any kind of cancer is hopeless. One of the most important things
in the cure is a determination to fight the disease, and people that believe it's hopeless will
never have that. Sure some people will fight and lose, but they will feel far better about
themselves if they go down fighting than if they cop a negative attitude that it's hopeless.

When I was diagnosed one of the things I remember is that no doctor ever told me that I was going to
die or that I even had a good chance to die. In fact I had more negativity from family members than
from the doctors, all of whom told me to my face that I had an excellent chance of survival. Then a
few years later all the family members told me that at the same time the doctors had been telling me
I was definitely going to survive, they were telling the family that I had only a tiny chance of
surviving.

Ted