Do Mountain Bikers Have Any Balls?

On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 23:16:20 GMT, Idontwantspam@net (Gary S.) wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:09:04 GMT, "Lou W" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> Mikey considers all humans to be a non-native species in the Americas, and therefore he wants to
>>> remove all humans from these continents.
>>>
>> Great! Now where do I go?
>>
>I think he wants the human race reduced to a few thousand primitive hunter-gatherers in Kenya's
>Oldavia Gorge, just the way it was 100,000 years ago. That is the only form of humanity that fits
>his definition of "natural".
>
>Mikey has not yet described what would happen to the extra 7 billion people, or how the world would
>be restored to his version.

I've said it before... Mike Vandeman exhibits the same anti-social traits that were exhibited by
Adolf ******. Except that rather than despensing a relatively quick death (like poison gas), he'd
prefer to kill off the extra 7 billion by starvation. His web site is his very own 'Mein Kampf'.

The only difference between the two is the simple fact that there isn't a single person on the
planet that takes MV seriously. If he weren't so funny, I'd have killfiled him long ago. But he's
just so freaking funny -- him and his manifesto.

>Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)
>at the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence
>
>Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

> On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 15:09:54 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >.Strange - this thousand-year-old forest doesn't seem to be suffering .any reduction in species
> >diversity due to cyclists, walkers and .equestrians using it. Maybe the vast logging machines are
> >more .significant - but no, the wildlife doesn't seem to care too much about .them either.
> >Whaddya know. It's a managed forest, man made and used .for the enjoyment of all kinds of people,
> >and it's full of wildlife, .including some rare species.
>
> >So you ADMIT that it is reducing wildlife populations. QED
>
> Forest - full of wildlife - despite extensive human activity. Vandemann's conclusion: an admission
> of reduced wildlife populations. I think I'm probably glad I don't understand how you get from
> point A to conclusion B.
>
> Guy

Me thinks he is off his meds...

Chris Phillipo wrote:
> In article <qUVI9.288625$QZ.44139@sccrnsc02>, [email protected] says...
>
>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 08:59:00 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote: .It is still
>>>two animals per mile, so it is the same.
>>>
>>>So if you travel farther, you disturb more animals. DUH!
>>
>>So?
>>

> One time this mountain biker went so far in the woods that he disturbed what he though was a Yeti.
> In fact it was mikey, he had been lost in the wilderness for many years, since he was a child,
> having learned no social skills and being oblivious to the fact that there are other people on
> this earth he was happily living in his own filth. When this strange wheeled beast came along he
> was enraged, he was able to follow the mountain bikers tracks which of course were 1 foot deep and
> 3 feet wide, back to civilization. Once there he decided that all these strange animals with clean
> skin and trimmed hair must not be allowed to invade his home again. Lacking the opposable thumbs
> to operate a sniper rifle, he did what any missing link would do, and got a job with the phone
> company. There he learned a number of ways to harass people and cause them grief. He also had a co
> worker write a number of phrases in English relating to mountain bikers and was able to have them
> put on cue cards. Now every month on the anniversary of that day he followed the mountain biker
> home, he takes one of these cue cards at random and over many hours types it into a news reader
> and posts it. He is not able to understand what he is typing but he is able to reproduce the
> characters on the cards, and that is enough for him. Mikey returned to his woodland home only to
> find that it had become a golf course. Mikey believes that if a mountain biker had not led he away
> that day he could have been there to stop the strange plaid wearing beasts on their 4 wheeled
> white mountain bikes, now we must all pay.

Excellent! I think that'll go in the FAQ...

"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:09:04 GMT, "Lou W" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Mikey considers all humans to be a non-native species in the Americas, and therefore he wants
> >> to remove all humans from these continents.
> >>
> > Great! Now where do I go?
> >
> I think he wants the human race reduced to a few thousand primitive hunter-gatherers in Kenya's
> Oldavia Gorge, just the way it was 100,000 years ago. That is the only form of humanity that fits
> his definition of "natural".
>
> Mikey has not yet described what would happen to the extra 7 billion people, or how the world
> would be restored to his version.

He's probably a member of that volantary extinction group. They believe that humans have no
business being on this planet, and that all men should be snipped and all women tied. Then we could
all happily live the rest of our natural lives until we die and eventually become extinct. Utopia
in 90 years!

--
Cameron

"Jonathan Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > have been there to stop the strange plaid wearing beasts on their 4 wheeled white mountain
> > bikes, now we must all pay.
>
> Excellent! I think that'll go in the FAQ...
>

> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Can this go in the FAQ too, please Mr Harris..

If this comes out twice apologies, apologies also for those who actually read the posts and spot
I've reposted it once before. If nothing else it might help Rimmer to understand the difference
between humour and abuse - no, it'll take more than that..

Apologies also for some of the references, they are from rbor and more than a couple of years old.
But then again, we've all been lurking for years here before we posted so we'll all understand them
I'm sure...

"Special Agent Murky Vunderbum (only his mother calls him Murky) recently uncovered in another
V-File that 99% of habitat off-limits to humans (pure habitat) has disappeared. When compared to the
approx. 0.05% of habitat covered by trails Vunderbum hypothesised that aliens were abducting pure
habitat. Vunderbum's inquiries are rather beyond the thread of his colleagues, working as he does in
a basement office at PacBell with no natural light. Aliens, it seems, have developed a means of
mtbing on pure habitat away from trails and are abducting this habitat to develop their skills. A
shadowy organisation knows this is occurring and is playing along to suit their own ends. This
group, known as INbeer, is learning secret mtb skills from these aliens in order to take over the
remaining parts of the world (1%). Fortunately, Vunderbum has a secret friend who is feeding him
information and supporting his work. This friend's name and identity cannot be disclosed, it's part
of Agent Vunderbum's deal with him. Vunderbum's passion for his work derives from an incident when
he was a child when his sister was nearly hit by a mtber nearly causing fatal injuries. (This mtber
perhaps then went on to let down someone else's tyres and run over a cat, rattle snake and polar
bear. The microchip in his neck was malfunctioning.) The only certainty in the whole saga is the
agent's incredible powers of reasoning and argument. Without these his cause would truly be lost.

signed Johnny Vindaloo. I've spent the last twelve years fighting highly spiced asian food and
bilharzia. It has effected my ability to communicate as I talk through my **** (pure ********).

By the way this is completely made up and has no resemblance intended to any person fictitious or
otherwise. But then I'm a mountainbiker. So I'm probably lying...

And have certainly had too much good malt at the end of a brilliant day on the bike."

Donate me some decent malt Rimmer and I'll try to stop the abuse...

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:00:03 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:

>He's probably a member of that volantary extinction group. They believe that humans have no
>business being on this planet, and that all men should be snipped and all women tied. Then we could
>all happily live the rest of our natural lives until we die and eventually become extinct. Utopia
>in 90 years!

Damn! There's a whole group of them: http://www.vhemt.org/

Mikey's plan skips the voluntary part.

"Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Americas,

> > > Great! Now where do I go?
> > >
> > I think he wants the human race reduced to a few thousand primitive hunter-gatherers in Kenya's
> > Oldavia Gorge, just the way it was 100,000 years ago. That is the only form of humanity that
> > fits his definition of "natural".
> >
> > Mikey has not yet described what would happen to the extra 7 billion people, or how the world
> > would be restored to his version.
> >

> He's probably a member of that volantary extinction group. They believe that humans have no
> business being on this planet, and that all men should be snipped and all women tied. Then we
> could all happily live the rest of our natural lives until we die and eventually become extinct.
Utopia
> in 90 years!
>
> --
> Cameron

If that's the case he should lead by example and be the 1st to "off" himself.

"John Atkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> <trim>If nothing else it might help Rimmer to understand the difference between humour and abuse -
> no, it'll take more than that..

<snip>

That's simple, the difference is "It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's ****ing
hysterical!"

Mike

"Gary S." <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:00:03 GMT, "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >He's probably a member of that volantary extinction group. They believe that humans have no
> >business being on this planet, and that all men should be snipped and all women tied. Then we
> >could all happily live the rest of our natural lives until we die and eventually become extinct.
Utopia
> >in 90 years!
> >
> Damn! There's a whole group of them: http://www.vhemt.org/
>
> Mikey's plan skips the voluntary part.
>
> Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)

I fully support the extinction of those weenies.

--
Cameron Now in optical sound.

"Lou W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...

> "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Americas,

> > > I think he wants the human race reduced to a few thousand primitive hunter-gatherers in
> > > Kenya's Oldavia Gorge, just the way it was 100,000 years ago. That is the only form of
> > > humanity that fits his definition of "natural".
> > >
> > > Mikey has not yet described what would happen to the extra 7 billion people, or how the world
> > > would be restored to his version.
> > >

> > He's probably a member of that volantary extinction group. They believe that humans have no
> > business being on this planet, and that all men should be snipped and all women tied. Then we
> > could all happily live the rest of our natural lives until we die and eventually become extinct.
> Utopia
> > in 90 years!
> >
> > --
> > Cameron
> >

> If that's the case he should lead by example and be the 1st to "off" himself.

I agree. But their excuse for not doing so is, "We need to educate the rest of the world".

Can you spell "Hypocritical weeny"?

--

In article <[email protected]>, Lou W <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Pete Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> Lets hope that's all it is. Lets hope it isn't that he wants to bring as many with him when
>> he goes.

> Lemmings

Well, lemmings are OK. They just follow. What worries me are the types that want to complete their
mission with unwilling followers... EG, the guy who goes up the tower with the rifle.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

Lou W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Pete Hickey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> "off"
> > >>

> > >I agree. But their excuse for not doing so is, "We need to educate the
> rest
> > >of the world".
> >
> > Lets hope that's all it is. Lets hope it isn't that he wants to bring as many with him when
> > he goes.
> >
> > -Pete
> > --
>
> Lemmings

If I helped them, would that make me lemingade?

Shaun aRe It only takes one rotten apple in the barrel to make cider.

On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 02:30:24 GMT, [email protected] (Pete Hickey) wrote:

.In article <[email protected]>, .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
wrote: . .>Mountain bikers' favorite tactic: CENSORSHIP. . .Wait... I thought it was LIEING!

No, it was misspelling, indicative of low IQ. :)

.-Pete [email protected]
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 15:45:23 GMT, Idontwantspam@net (Gary S.) wrote:

.On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 15:18:59 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> .wrote: . .>.> BS. Lost and
destroyed soil cannot be replaced. It's GONE. .>. .>.So, if I took a bucket full of soil and filled
in a rut on a trail, your .>.saying that would NOT be replacing soil? Do youknow what the definition
of .>.'replace' is? .> .>So you stole soil from one place, and MOVED it. You didn't replace the
original .>soil. That's gone for good. Besides, you shouldn't be moving species around. .> .When
mountain bike tires move soil, it is gone instead of being .somewhere different? Transmuted into
some other form of matter, or .dissipated as energy? . .What happens to the soil, given the Law of
Conservation of Matter?

It's dead.

.How is that different than moving it around with a bucket and shovel?

No.

.Is moving soil several feet going to be that disruptive to any .species?

Yes, because they will be DEAD.

===

On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 05:21:48 GMT, "Surgius" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:eek:[email protected]... .> .So, if I took a bucket full of soil and
filled in a rut on a trail, your .> .saying that would NOT be replacing soil? Do youknow what the
definition .of .> .'replace' is? .> .> So you stole soil from one place, and MOVED it. You didn't
replace the .original .> soil. That's gone for good. . .The soil is not gone, it may be displaced
but it is not gone.

It's gone, because it's dead.

You really .should brush up on your vocabulary Mikey. . .> Besides, you shouldn't be moving species
around. . .I am sure some microbes will adapt, and if not be replaced by the native .population. .
.> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure
habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande .

===

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:36:49 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Surgius" <[email protected]> wrote in message .news:1QVI9.288556$QZ.44204@sccrnsc02... .> .>
"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message .>
news:[email protected]... .> > On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 03:44:37 GMT, "Surgius"
<[email protected]> wrote: .> > .> > . .> > ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.> > .news:[email protected]... .> .> > .> .Hiking frightens wildlife.
Hiking INCREASES impact over non-use. .> > .Therefore .> > .> .hiking is bad for the environment. .>
> .> .> > .> I agree, of course, but mountain biking is much MORE destructive, .> > .obviously. .> >
. .> > .I contradicted your statement and you agree with me.. So you admit you .> are a .> > .liar
and a hypocrite. .> > .> > BS. I agree that hiking is harmful, but it is much LESS harmful than .>
mountain .> > biking. Learn to think. .> .> So you agree that hiking is harmful, yet you advocate
hiking. You advocate .a .> harmful hobby. You sir, are a hypocrite. .> . .Mike says that all bikes
are worse than all boots, but this completely .ignores facts such as, boots make new trails where it
isn't possible to .ride, while bikes more often than not will remain on an established trail.

Except when they are riding on the shoulder or creating bootleg trals, which is most of the time.

.He completely ignores the fact that many hikers are much more destructive .than most bikers.

Complete BS.

.While it is true that there are destructive bikers,

Yeah -- like ALL of them.

not .all bikers are destructive. While it is true that hiking is not always as .destructive as
biking, there are many hikers that destroy more in a single .outing than some bikers will destroy
in an entire year of going out. Mike .uses brash generalizations that are easily refuted, and
almost never true .when generally applied.

Generalizations in this case are valid. We have ALL seen gonzo mountain bikers ripping up nature. In
fact, I see them whenever I hike.

.His generaliztions are derived from the actions of one or two bike riders

BS. More like THOUSANDS.

.and spread across the entire population of bike riders, or (as in the case .of hiking) he
extrapolates the positive effects of his own experience and .spreads them over an entire population
of hikers.

I have also seen thousands of hikers, not ONE of whom was doing anything destructive. The conclusion
is OBVIOUS: mountain bikers are FAR more destructive, both individually and as a group, than hikers.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> .> So you stole soil from one place, and MOVED it. You didn't replace the .original .> soil.
> That's gone for good. . .The soil is not gone, it may be displaced but it is not gone.
>
> It's gone, because it's dead.

So what your saying is that it isn't gone then.

Liar.

On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 22:56:31 -0500, Ken B <[email protected]> wrote:

.On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 01:43:16 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> .wrote: . .>On Sun, 01 Dec
2002 22:37:42 -0500, Ken B <[email protected]> .>wrote: .> .>.On 1 Dec 2002
12:31:00 -0800, [email protected] (Muddy) .>.wrote: .>. .>.>> "penny s"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... .>.>> >
since you are new here. and you've already wasted tons of bandwidth .>.>> > replying to you know
who...here's a hint. Don't bother. You'd be much better .>.>> > off either killfiling or ignoring MV
threads. Read Jonathan Harris' AMB FAQ. .>.> .>.>Yes, MV does talk some bollock! But I only defend
him cause there .>.>really are some thick as sh*t people here that honestly think biking .>.>doesn't
cause destruction. .>. .>.It's not that people are thickheaded. It's called let's see some hard
.>.data. Let's see unbiased work done by qualified scientists that are .>.experts in the field. This
means research performed by scientists not .>.having some agenda or pet cause be it hugging trees or
riding trails. .>.This does NOT mean subjective pseudo-research performed by unqualified
.>.non-scientists (such as MV) that is made up of partially plagiarized .>.targeted (meaning agenda
driven) research. Nor does it mean someone's .>.opinion. .>. .>.So far, MV has NOT provided this to
the group and, therefore, has no .>.credibility. Why does he need to provide this? Because he is the
one .>.making the accusations that mountain biking is destructive. The burden .>.of proof lies with
him. .> .>BS. By law (NEPA), the burden of proof is on the developer: the person who wants .>to add
bikes to trails. Where is the scientific research proving that mountain .>bikiing is harmless? It
doesn't exist! .> .I never said it wasn't harmless. I said it wasn't destructive. There .IS a
difference. What the studies below will prove is that biking does .NOT cause any more damage to the
trail system than hiking and is, in .fact, less destructive than hiking on DOWNHILL grades and that
the .damage caused by biking is more sustainable and shorter lived than .that caused by hiking. .
.That alone, tells me and the Council on Environmental Quality (the .body formed by NEPA) that bikes
have just as much right to be on the .trails as hikers, if not more.

Bikes are inanimate objects, and have no rights, idiot.

.But hey, read on.... . .1) http://www.mountainbike.co.nz/politics/doc/conflict/

That study showed that bikers have greater impacts than hikers.

.2) http://got.net/~landauer/mtb/Guelph_MTB_study.pdf .Particularly interesting about this study is
that it shows hiking .causing a significantly higher loss of vegitation and species .diversity over
time when compared to biking.

That study showed that bikers have greater impacts than hikers.

.3) http://www.btceastbay.org/jmpreport.htm .This one was commissioned by hikers in an effort
to prove biking was .causing more damage than hiking. They even voted for the group that .did
the study.

BS. They have no responsibility for the results, which were written to make money, NOT to tell
the truth.

.4) Here's an excript from a newsgroup posting a few years back. Funny, .being almost a decade older
than link #2 (above) the science applied .in the Guelph study seems to bear out the poster's
statements below... . .<BEGIN QUOTE> . .Mountain bicycles have little, if any, more effect on the
environment .and trails than hikers, and much less effect than horses do. There is .little
scientific information available, but what does exist supports .this claim. .
. 1. The Kepner-Trego Analysis (U.S. Forest Service Santa Barbara, .1987, updated 1989): "During
the past 2-3 years of bicycle use, trails .have not shown an increase in the erosion rate."

Oh, yes, the Forest Service is really unbiased! :)

. 2. The Seney Study ( Joe Seney, Montana State University, Dept of .Earth Science, Bozeman)
(Presented at Assn. of American Geographers, .1990 Toronto, Canada): "Results did not show trail
damage by bikes to .be significant"

That study showed that bikers have greater impacts than hikers.

. This study used trails of different soil types and slopes, wet .and dry. Horses, bicyclists,
hikers, and motorcycles made passes over .the trails. Runoff, sedimentation, compaction, and
micro relief were .measured. Bicycles had no more effect than hikers. Horses, in many .cases,
were worse than motorcycles. (Rototiller like digging up of the .trail, and creating potholes
that fill with water, softening the .surrounding surface.)

That study showed that bikers have greater impacts than hikers.

. 3. A negative declaration of environmental impact done by the Santa .Clara (California) Dept. of
Parks and Recreation (1989) found the .environmental impacts of bicycling on trails to be
generally .insignificant, and easily mitigated.

That study showed that bikers have greater impacts than hikers.

. 4. The Use of Mountain Bikes in the Wilderness Areas of the Point .Reyes National Seashore
(National Park Service, Point Reyes, .California 1984): Flora and Fauna Disturbance: "A few
people assert .that bicyclists are very disturbing to the wildlife and will trample .endangered
plant species. EXISTING EVIDENCE INDICATES THAT BICYCLES .ARE FAR MORE TRAIL ORIENTED THAN THE
OTHER USER GROUPS AND LESS LIKELY .TO TAKE OFF CROSS COUNTRY." (Emphasis is mine)

That study showed that bikers have greater impacts than hikers.

. So, it appears from this study that the excuse of "protecting .the plants and animals" is not
viable. Cycists stay on trails. Hikers .wander around and stomp things.

Of course that is pure BS.

. 5. Finally, there's me. For many years I have built, maintained, .and repaired trails, both as a
volunteer and as a paid professional. I .have worked for State Parks, Open Space Districts,
Water Districts, .etc. I have run trail crews, and inspected the work of contract crews. .I have
hiked for over 30 years, was a ski mountaineering guide, and am .a long time cyclist. I have a
Forest Technology degree, and have .studied soils and geology.

But too bad you don't know how to tell the truth!

. It is my personal and professional opinion that bicycles do .little, if any, more damage to a
trail than hikers. They certainly do .much less damage than the horses we permit on most of
our trail .systems here in California. Any damage they might do is easily .mitigated by
simple, proper maintenance and construction techniques. .The same goes for the impact hikers
have. The main things that cause .trail damage are improper construction, location, and
maintenance.

Thay's pure BS.

===

On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 02:21:06 GMT, "Surgius" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On 2 Dec 2002 15:56:05 -0800,
[email protected] (Muddy) wrote: .> .> .> >You are LYING. It is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid
skidding, on steep slopes. .> . .> .Its actually rare for a bike to skid, as long as the rider knows
what .> .he's doing. Imagine a muddy slope, if I were to lock up, I run the .> .risk of loosing
balance and direction. If I were to lightly brake I .> .keep balance and direction, but increasing
speed and maneuverability. .> .> And if you don't brake, you crash for sure. DUH! .> .> .It works
just like A.B.S. .> . Also walkers / hikers slip to in the mud. Now they have more .> .weight
distributed in the area, and leave a bigger tread mark. No one .> .does it on purpose, only the
stupid ones. .> .> I never said it was on purpose. .> .> .I think the majority of this community
wouldn't skid. Its the stupid .> .ones. Your talking to the wrong people on this one. .> .> BS. On a
steep slope, it's impossible not to skid. Bikes don't have enough .> traction to prevent skidding. .
.In your opinion, I do just fine on slopes without skidding.

That's a good example of mountain biker LYING.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande