Do mtb shoes look proper if you wear the rest of the roadie look?

Jun 6, 2006
Do MTB shoes look proper if you wear the rest of the roadie look?

I tried some road shoes and SPD-SL pedals, and I'm not liking them.

It's because there isn't even any rubber on the sole so you can't cross streets with the pedals under your arches, then clip in. The feet slip right off.

Some MTB shoes have very minimal tread and look just like a road shoe unless you look under the heel, but you can tell.

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10053_10052_601230_-1___204931

The shoes I tend to end up with are the same - except for the outer sole - for both road and MTB.
I hardly care if anyone would put the effort into noticing.
And I really couldn't care less if anyone were to comment.

It works for me, and doesn't influence you. End of story.

I wear road shoes because they are comfortable and efficient for long road rides. I don't walk on them very much. They're not made for that.

Mtb shoes do look a bit weird on a genuine roadie, but I've known males and females that preferred them for road riding and it's their choice, so no big deal at all. If it looks stupid and works...it's not stupid.

There's also touring style shoes with recessed SPD cleats as another more walkable option.

I'm not so sure any of them will not slip off the pedals if not clipped in. That's as much a function of the pedal as the shoe. Lastly, there are those SPD pedals that you can clip in on one side and use as a flat pedal on the other side...if something like that strikes your fancy.

Always a funny subject for me. I use mountain bike shoes and have had a ton of cyclist tell me that I should use road shoes. I tired them and I don't like them. But they continue to tell me how efficient blah blah blah........

But only 10 cyclists I know have done this timed event. Hundreds do the local baby charity rides. But none will touch these rides when I invite them to ride with me. :p

However, there was a time when a local forum was very active and a few of use planned on this ride. Yeah, it's a race type timed event and everybody competes with one another while talking trash on the forums.

3 RACERS told me that I needed road shoes. One was a racer who logged 8,000 miles per year. The other a Race Across America 5 time veteran. The other a local long distance racer (brevets/ California Triple Crown winner etc).

Anyway , we did the event and I beat the racer by 45 minutes. Actually more but he whined to the organizers about cheating him on his time.

The Race Across America guy, I beat by over an hour.

The long distance racer guy, I beat by 3 hours! :eek:

So really, being one of hundreds of local forum members and local cyclists who have actually done some serious rides around here, I wear what I want and nobody says anything about it! :p

I tell you, trash talk on the forum is meaningless when somebody actually kick your ass on a real ride. SO I wear what I want and don't care what others say.

The guys who are worried about what they wear and worried about their gloves being color coordinated with their shoes are posers anyway! :D

One of maybe 10 cyclists I know who have completed these rides. A few I know who failed.

But thousands and thousands around her who won't even give them a try.

MTB shoes, wtf do I care what I look like ?! I completed the ride 4 times already!

Capture1.JPG

the rides that scare people! :p

Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

I say wear whatever your more comfortable in, because that's main thing comfort. Hey I get sh*t form people because I wear spandex when I ride my single speed. What the F*** do I care what people think, I don't and I ride my way. If peole don't like it don't look.

Mr Beanz you know any time you post a pic there has to be some of that west coast sunshine in it, if you know what I mean (lol).

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Mr Beanz you know any time you post a pic there has to be some of that west coast sunshine in it, if you know what I mean (lol).

I agree with you. I have taken **** for wearing performance jerseys. WTH! :mad:

West coast sunshine? Believe it or not, this was a bad day. It rained the first 15 miles but still looked nice! :D

Always a funny subject for me. I use mountain bike shoes and have had a ton of cyclist tell me that I should use road shoes. I tired them and I don't like them. But they continue to tell me how efficient blah blah blah........

But only 10 cyclists I know have done this timed event. Hundreds do the local baby charity rides. But none will touch these rides when I invite them to ride with me. :p

However, there was a time when a local forum was very active and a few of use planned on this ride. Yeah, it's a race type timed event and everybody competes with one another while talking trash on the forums.

3 RACERS told me that I needed road shoes. One was a racer who logged 8,000 miles per year. The other a Race Across America 5 time veteran. The other a local long distance racer (brevets/ California Triple Crown winner etc).

Anyway , we did the event and I beat the racer by 45 minutes. Actually more but he whined to the organizers about cheating him on his time.

The Race Across America guy, I beat by over an hour.

The long distance racer guy, I beat by 3 hours! :eek:

So really, being one of hundreds of local forum members and local cyclists who have actually done some serious rides around here, I wear what I want and nobody says anything about it! :p

I tell you, trash talk on the forum is meaningless when somebody actually kick your ass on a real ride. SO I wear what I want and don't care what others say.

The guys who are worried about what they wear and worried about their gloves being color coordinated with their shoes are posers anyway! :D

One of maybe 10 cyclists I know who have completed these rides. A few I know who failed.

But thousands and thousands around her who won't even give them a try.

MTB shoes, wtf do I care what I look like ?! I completed the ride 4 times already!

View attachment 2444

the rides that scare people! :p

View attachment 2445 View attachment 2446

I think that ride is appropriately named! I see some other roadies wearing mountain shoes, probably more than most realize, because how often do you look at other peoples shoes? I see people give me strange looks for having a rack on my road bike (use it for commuting and touring) and for some of the other goofy things I have/do, but I didn't get into cycling for vanity. I actually make fun of some of the guys that have all super light and color coordinated gear, I call them "weekend warriors" or "sunshine riders" but I also realize they're mostly good people, they just have a different set of goals than me.

I actually can't even imagine using road shoes, I have to be able to walk easily for some of my commuting and day rides, plus I'm lazy and I love being able to clip into both sides. I sure as heck wouldn't stick with road shoes just because of what others think!

I agree with you. I have taken **** for wearing performance jerseys. WTH! :mad:

West coast sunshine? Believe it or not, this was a bad day. It rained the first 15 miles but still looked nice! :D

West coast sunshine is shapely women in bikini's.

Ride in shoes that makes you comfortable, as some say they think that road shoes are the best for long rides and they never walk in them anyways. However I use MTB shoes and pedals on my road bike and I ride a long ways, (as do people who tour), and have no comfort issues as long as you get a good shoe. But I use MTB setup because I like to ride to some town someplace, or some park, etc, and like to get off the bike and walk around to see the place; sometimes I ride to a lake and do some fishing, or go to a friends place and hang out for the day, or commute to work, so MTB shoes are real beneficial for the way I like to ride.

I have both types of shoes. I have one bike that is kitted out as a road bike and use the road shoes with that bike as she has Look compatible pedals. My other bike is built out as a loaded touring rig and she has SPD compatible mountain pedals. On that one, I use mountain shoes. I wear the same kit on either bike, and the shoes do not make a difference to me. The reason for cycling shoes, to me, is the function of them, not the looks. The road shoes have features that the mountain shoe does not have, and are higher performance. They are stiffer which channels more of my pedaling power into the pedal. They are lighter in weight, and the ratcheting closure allows for a more secure fit. The mountain shoes, on the other hand, work better with the mountain pedals and are easier to walk around in. At no time do I think "I want these shoes because they will make me look cool" I want the shoes I want for the features they give me. Looks are secondary. That said if I am choosing between two pairs of shoes that both give me the features I want, I *will* choose the pair that is more pleasing to my eye. ;)

I have both types of shoes. I have one bike that is kitted out as a road bike and use the road shoes with that bike as she has Look compatible pedals. My other bike is built out as a loaded touring rig and she has SPD compatible mountain pedals. On that one, I use mountain shoes. I wear the same kit on either bike, and the shoes do not make a difference to me. The reason for cycling shoes, to me, is the function of them, not the looks. The road shoes have features that the mountain shoe does not have, and are higher performance. They are stiffer which channels more of my pedaling power into the pedal. They are lighter in weight, and the ratcheting closure allows for a more secure fit. The mountain shoes, on the other hand, work better with the mountain pedals and are easier to walk around in. At no time do I think "I want these shoes because they will make me look cool" I want the shoes I want for the features they give me. Looks are secondary. That said if I am choosing between two pairs of shoes that both give me the features I want, I *will* choose the pair that is more pleasing to my eye. ;)

When you get old like me speed just doesn't matter because all the younger guys wheez past you anyways! So what little speed I would gain from a road pedal and shoe just doesn't make it worth it to me. I'm sure some of the high end shoes are lighter but within the average shoe price area, the weight isn't that much different nor does it effect speed. People get wrapped up in lightweigh and speed and there are some items that just don't do that much, in shoes and pedals it all balances out, the lighter shoe will come up faster but slower coming down on the pedal stroke, while the heavier shoe will come up slower but come down faster on the pedal stroke.

Here is a great article about all of this pedal and shoe stuff I found: https://www.active.com/cycling/articles/the-great-pedal-debate-road-or-mountain-bike

I can train my azz off and pick up speed.

Or I can swap shoes and gain nothing. :D

Well, yes. without my azz, I would be 10kg lighter. Of course, I would be faster without it! ;)

Well, yes. without my azz, I would be 10kg lighter. Of course, I would be faster without it! ;)

22 pounds, that's it? :D

I guess I am so used to Gina who makes Jennifer Lopes look like a 1st grader in that dept! :p

As others have stated, its perfectly fine. I have an endurance road bike with mountain bike pedals that i've had for over 2 years. I thought that road shoes may be more efficient, so I bought a pair with my new aero bike 10 months ago. After 10 months of using road shoes, I prefer the spd mountain bike pedal setup. The speed difference is minimal(same for the damn bike,lol), but comfort on 50+ mile rides is much better in mountain bike shoes for me. Also, its still much easier for me to clip in to the double sided spd cleats. Less maintenance as well, I hardly even clean my mountain bike shoes thoroughly and haven't had any problems, my road cleats needed to be replaced after 6 months.The walkable factor isn't a joke either, I've had to carry the bike home 7+ miles on a few occasions, once after having a mild crash with blood spilling from my knees and elbows. I'd hate to take a 7 mile hike with road shoes on.