Do not feed the dinosaur: ride a bicycle

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc' started by DonQuijote1954, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. this is the most voted option at this poll...
    http://engforum.pravda.ru/showthread.php3?threadid=102005

    Corruption in Oil Nations
    "In these countries, public contracting in the oil sector is plagued
    by revenues vanishing into the pockets of Western oil executives,
    middlemen and local officials"

    Oil corruption is big, I mean, big enough to keep us warring for a
    long time--only getting worse with time--and destroying the
    environment without the blink of an eye. A sure way to extinction
    greater than that of the dinosaurs.

    America is cited in ranking 17th, but I know either of no other nation
    that encourages waste of oil as patriotic--just look at the
    gas-guzzling SUVs with the flags--nor of a nation--outside of Iraq in
    Kuwait--that is capable of launching a major military adventure to
    take over another nation because it happens to be rich in oil.

    Well, nobody said the dinosaurs deserved to live...

    Report Cites Corruption in Oil Nations

    Wed Oct 20, 9:06 AM ET World - AP

    LONDON - Most oil-producing nations are also rife with corruption, and
    oil companies should provide more information about their operations
    to help clean up the market, a global watchdog group said Wednesday in
    an annual report.

    Angola, Azerbaijan, Chad, Ecuador, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq (news - web
    sites), Kazakhstan, Libya, Nigeria, Russia, Sudan, Venezuela and Yemen
    scored very low in clean government practices, said Transparency
    International Chairman Peter Eigen in releasing the "Corruption
    Perceptions Index" for 2004.

    "In these countries, public contracting in the oil sector is plagued
    by revenues vanishing into the pockets of Western oil executives,
    middlemen and local officials," he said.

    Eigen said oil companies could help stamp out corruption by publishing
    details of the fees, royalties and other payments made to governments
    and state oil companies.

    Transparency International said 146 countries were surveyed for the
    report --not just oil-producers-- and it found that corruption was
    rampant in 60 nations.

    The survey found that 106 scored lower than a 5, with a top score of
    10 being the least corrupt. Bangladesh, Haiti, Nigeria, Chad, Myanmar,
    Azerbaijan and Paraguay were perceived to be the most corrupt, all
    scoring lower than 2.

    The United States ranks number 17, with a score of 7.5, tied with
    Belgium and Ireland, better than France but worse than Canada.

    The index is compiled from a series of polls on perceptions of
    corruption made by independent organizations. This year's report is
    based on 18 surveys conducted since 2002, by a dozen groups. The index
    rates only those countries which appear in three or more surveys.

    Finland, New Zealand, Denmark, Iceland, Singapore, Sweden and
    Switzerland were rated the least corrupt, all scoring higher than 9
    out of 10 on the index.

    Compared to last year's report, corruption was perceived to be worse
    in Bahrain, Belize, Cyprus, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Kuwait,
    Luxembourg, Mauritius, Oman, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, and
    Trinidad and Tobago.

    Improved scores were recorded for Austria, Botswana, Czech Republic,
    El Salvador (news - web sites), France, Gambia, Germany, Jordan,
    Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Uganda, United Arab Emirates and
    Uruguay, Transparency International said.

    http://www.transparency.org

    http://committed.to/justiceforpeace

    Tags:

  2. Please folks, either ignore this post, or at least remove
    rec.bicycles.rides from the distribution list.

    Please?

    Thank you.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  3. On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:52:28 GMT, Chuck Anderson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Please folks, either ignore this post, or at least remove
    >rec.bicycles.rides from the distribution list.

    Just FYI, I have chosen the former.

  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "Chuck Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s03...
    > Please folks, either ignore this post, or at least remove
    > rec.bicycles.rides from the distribution list.
    >
    > Please?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Funny, but I did not know that the crossposting troll was posting untill
    you felt the need to post and feed the crossposting troll.