Do not feed the dinosaur: ride a bicycle

DonQuijote1954

Guest
this is the most voted option at this poll...
http://engforum.pravda.ru/showthread.php3?threadid=102005

Corruption in Oil Nations
"In these countries, public contracting in the oil sector is plagued
by revenues vanishing into the pockets of Western oil executives,
middlemen and local officials"

Oil corruption is big, I mean, big enough to keep us warring for a
long time--only getting worse with time--and destroying the
environment without the blink of an eye. A sure way to extinction
greater than that of the dinosaurs.

America is cited in ranking 17th, but I know either of no other nation
that encourages waste of oil as patriotic--just look at the
gas-guzzling SUVs with the flags--nor of a nation--outside of Iraq in
Kuwait--that is capable of launching a major military adventure to
take over another nation because it happens to be rich in oil.

Well, nobody said the dinosaurs deserved to live...

Report Cites Corruption in Oil Nations

Wed Oct 20, 9:06 AM ET World - AP

LONDON - Most oil-producing nations are also rife with corruption, and
oil companies should provide more information about their operations
to help clean up the market, a global watchdog group said Wednesday in
an annual report.

Angola, Azerbaijan, Chad, Ecuador, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq (news - web
sites), Kazakhstan, Libya, Nigeria, Russia, Sudan, Venezuela and Yemen
scored very low in clean government practices, said Transparency
International Chairman Peter Eigen in releasing the "Corruption
Perceptions Index" for 2004.

"In these countries, public contracting in the oil sector is plagued
by revenues vanishing into the pockets of Western oil executives,
middlemen and local officials," he said.

Eigen said oil companies could help stamp out corruption by publishing
details of the fees, royalties and other payments made to governments
and state oil companies.

Transparency International said 146 countries were surveyed for the
report --not just oil-producers-- and it found that corruption was
rampant in 60 nations.

The survey found that 106 scored lower than a 5, with a top score of
10 being the least corrupt. Bangladesh, Haiti, Nigeria, Chad, Myanmar,
Azerbaijan and Paraguay were perceived to be the most corrupt, all
scoring lower than 2.

The United States ranks number 17, with a score of 7.5, tied with
Belgium and Ireland, better than France but worse than Canada.

The index is compiled from a series of polls on perceptions of
corruption made by independent organizations. This year's report is
based on 18 surveys conducted since 2002, by a dozen groups. The index
rates only those countries which appear in three or more surveys.

Finland, New Zealand, Denmark, Iceland, Singapore, Sweden and
Switzerland were rated the least corrupt, all scoring higher than 9
out of 10 on the index.

Compared to last year's report, corruption was perceived to be worse
in Bahrain, Belize, Cyprus, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Kuwait,
Luxembourg, Mauritius, Oman, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, and
Trinidad and Tobago.

Improved scores were recorded for Austria, Botswana, Czech Republic,
El Salvador (news - web sites), France, Gambia, Germany, Jordan,
Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Uganda, United Arab Emirates and
Uruguay, Transparency International said.

http://www.transparency.org

http://committed.to/justiceforpeace

Please folks, either ignore this post, or at least remove
rec.bicycles.rides from the distribution list.

Please?

Thank you.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:52:28 GMT, Chuck Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Please folks, either ignore this post, or at least remove
>rec.bicycles.rides from the distribution list.

Just FYI, I have chosen the former.

"Chuck Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Please folks, either ignore this post, or at least remove
> rec.bicycles.rides from the distribution list.
>
> Please?
>
> Thank you.

Funny, but I did not know that the crossposting troll was posting untill
you felt the need to post and feed the crossposting troll.