Do not lift weight when you are racing

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
That's the advice I got from my older brothers who were horse jockeys. The weight tends to build strong muscles that is fit for strength but not for speed. I am not into racing though, this just came to my mind because someone asked me if it is all right to lift weights before riding (leisurely though). So maybe what the guy wants is to have the power to push the pedal so I guess it is all right to lift weights.

I understand that racing needs not only speed but also stamina. For those engaged in racing, what is your opinion on lifting weights?

I think it is alright if you do so moderately. It is also recommended that you train your legs so I think it is fine if you do weighted leg training. It has improved the power and stamina of my legs anyway.

I've been racing for 33 years and have done strength work, in various forms, for greater than 40 years. As the peak torque forces in cycling are actually relatively low compared to some other sports (possible exception might be standing start in the kilo), I'm not aware of anyone who is "strength limited" in their cycling. You can look at the peak torque in a ride file from a power meter to see your own values.

Having said that, I believe there are other, non-cycling, reasons to perform strength work. Belovedad is on the right track with implying that, if cycling is your priority, you should structure your strength so as to not interfere/impede your cycling training. For example, if you were to do some intense leg strength work on Monday, it would make doing quality intervals on Tuesday "challenging".

Reactions: Corzhens
Yes, moderately lifting shouldn't really be that much of a problem, but in terms gaining pedal power, leg exercise (some don't even require weights) should do the trick.

And there are tons of sources on the internet (e.g YouTube) that can help in pedaling easier and efficiently.

I think that weights should be lifted in a training way.If you're going to lift weights before racing, It will just make you more tired and not have many stamina to endure the rest of the race.Like dkrenik said it's best to use weight lifting as non-racing exercises.

Well just like anything you have to have it in moderation, like @Belovedad suggested. It makes sense to limit yourself though, and do more of a targeted workout to avoid putting too much strain on the muscles that you are using when cycling. I do love to do leg workouts though on the days when I know that I will not be riding, and it does make a difference.

I'm not sure how this compares since I don't race, but I remember seeing a comparison between a sprinter and a marathon runner where the first are usually ripped and have some really big muscles, but marathoners are much more lean. I believe muscles can help with speed.

Thank you for the opinions you posted in this thread. At least I have confirmed my idea that using weights is not really bad for the speed as long as it is done moderately. As I had said in my introductory post, racing needs speed and stamina and what I understand is that stamina is strength that can easily be built by weights.

However, I'm out of cycling for a while but surely I will be back when my leg feels better.

As all the other members said, it's healthy if you do it moderately. Excess of everything is bad. Most of the people are not weight lifter and they don't lift weight regularly. Most of the cycle racers just practice cycling without caring about working out and all other stuffs. Personally, I lift weight on a regular basis.

That's the advice I got from my older brothers who were horse jockeys. The weight tends to build strong muscles that is fit for strength but not for speed. I am not into racing though, this just came to my mind because someone asked me if it is all right to lift weights before riding (leisurely though). So maybe what the guy wants is to have the power to push the pedal so I guess it is all right to lift weights.

I understand that racing needs not only speed but also stamina. For those engaged in racing, what is your opinion on lifting weights?

Cycling is an aerobic sport. Strength is almost never a limiter. What you do in the weight room will have almost no impact on your ability to drop watt bombs outside of possibly accelerations when you're still fresh.

If you want more power, you got to get specific on the bike and train to produce more power.

Hey, I completely agree! While strength training can have some benefits, improving power on the bike requires specific training. Focus on targeted workouts to enhance power output.

Interesting perspective on the relationship between weightlifting and cycling! While it's true that excess weight can potentially slow you down, building strength through weightlifting can certainly enhance your pedaling power. I've found that a balanced approach, incorporating both cardio and strength training, has helped me improve my overall cycling performance.

As for racing, I agree that it requires a combination of speed and stamina. In my experience, having a solid fitness base and being able to maintain a consistent pace over long distances has been crucial. However, I'm curious to hear from other racers about their specific training routines and how they balance weightlifting and cycling.

For those dealing with wrist pain, I've found that using clear eyewear can help alleviate some of the discomfort caused by wind resistance. Additionally, ensuring a proper bike fit and adjusting handlebar height can also make a significant difference.

What are some other strategies you've used to manage wrist pain while cycling?

While horse jockeys may have a different perspective, in cycling, weightlifting can actually hinder speed and agility. It's more about endurance and efficient power transfer. Have you considered hill training or high-intensity interval workouts? :)

While your brothers' advice may work for horse jockeys, it's not necessarily applicable to cycling. Lifting weights can improve your pedaling power, which is important for recreational cyclists. However, it's crucial to find the right balance and not overdo it, as it could lead to injuries. Don't let anyone tell you that weight lifting is off-limits for cyclists.

Lifting weights can indeed enhance pedaling power for cyclists, but it's essential to consider the type of strength training. Focusing on explosive, functional movements, like squats and deadlifts, can improve cycling performance. However, overdoing it can lead to injuries, as you mentioned. It's crucial to listen to one's body and incorporate rest days to prevent overtraining.

Moreover, while lifting weights can be beneficial, it's not the only way to boost cycling performance. Incorporating high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and hill repeats can also enhance power and endurance. Additionally, paying attention to nutrition and hydration is vital for optimal performance and recovery.

Ultimately, finding the right balance and variety in one's training regimen is key to avoiding plateaus and preventing injuries. It's important to remember that there's no one-size-fits-all approach to cycling training, and what works for one person might not work for another.

"Ah, the weightlifting question! For leisure cyclists, keeping it light and fun is key. Building muscle is good, but remember, cycling is a social sport. Join a group ride, meet new friends, and enjoy the scenery. Speed isn't everything – it's the journey that matters. So, leave the heavy weights for now and focus on having a blast on two wheels!"

While I agree that socializing and enjoying the scenery are important aspects of leisure cycling, I respectfully disagree that lifting weights should be completely disregarded. In fact, incorporating strength training can enhance your cycling experience.

Firstly, building muscle, especially in your lower body, can improve your pedaling efficiency and power, allowing you to tackle those hills with greater ease. Additionally, a stronger core can help maintain a more aerodynamic position, reducing wind resistance and increasing speed.

However, I'm not suggesting cyclists become bodybuilders. Instead, consider integrating light weightlifting exercises targeting leg and core muscles into your routine, complementing your group rides. This balanced approach can lead to a more holistic, enjoyable, and performance-enhancing cycling experience. ‍♂️️‍♂️