Do not lift weight when you are racing

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Corzhens, May 28, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

That's the advice I got from my older brothers who were horse jockeys. The weight tends to build strong muscles that is fit for strength but not for speed. I am not into racing though, this just came to my mind because someone asked me if it is all right to lift weights before riding (leisurely though). So maybe what the guy wants is to have the power to push the pedal so I guess it is all right to lift weights.

I understand that racing needs not only speed but also stamina. For those engaged in racing, what is your opinion on lifting weights?

2. Belovedad

Belovedad New Member

I think it is alright if you do so moderately. It is also recommended that you train your legs so I think it is fine if you do weighted leg training. It has improved the power and stamina of my legs anyway.

3. dkrenik

dkrenik Member

I've been racing for 33 years and have done strength work, in various forms, for greater than 40 years. As the peak torque forces in cycling are actually relatively low compared to some other sports (possible exception might be standing start in the kilo), I'm not aware of anyone who is "strength limited" in their cycling. You can look at the peak torque in a ride file from a power meter to see your own values.

Having said that, I believe there are other, non-cycling, reasons to perform strength work. Belovedad is on the right track with implying that, if cycling is your priority, you should structure your strength so as to not interfere/impede your cycling training. For example, if you were to do some intense leg strength work on Monday, it would make doing quality intervals on Tuesday "challenging".

Corzhens likes this.
  4. divinemaredi

divinemaredi New Member

Yes, moderately lifting shouldn't really be that much of a problem, but in terms gaining pedal power, leg exercise (some don't even require weights) should do the trick.

And there are tons of sources on the internet (e.g YouTube) that can help in pedaling easier and efficiently.

5. jonthai

jonthai New Member

I think that weights should be lifted in a training way.If you're going to lift weights before racing, It will just make you more tired and not have many stamina to endure the rest of the race.Like dkrenik said it's best to use weight lifting as non-racing exercises.

6. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well just like anything you have to have it in moderation, like @Belovedad suggested. It makes sense to limit yourself though, and do more of a targeted workout to avoid putting too much strain on the muscles that you are using when cycling. I do love to do leg workouts though on the days when I know that I will not be riding, and it does make a difference.

7. bykster

bykster Member

I'm not sure how this compares since I don't race, but I remember seeing a comparison between a sprinter and a marathon runner where the first are usually ripped and have some really big muscles, but marathoners are much more lean. I believe muscles can help with speed.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Thank you for the opinions you posted in this thread. At least I have confirmed my idea that using weights is not really bad for the speed as long as it is done moderately. As I had said in my introductory post, racing needs speed and stamina and what I understand is that stamina is strength that can easily be built by weights.

However, I'm out of cycling for a while but surely I will be back when my leg feels better.

9. warrengeb

warrengeb Member

As all the other members said, it's healthy if you do it moderately. Excess of everything is bad. Most of the people are not weight lifter and they don't lift weight regularly. Most of the cycle racers just practice cycling without caring about working out and all other stuffs. Personally, I lift weight on a regular basis.

10. pedalbiker

pedalbiker New Member

Cycling is an aerobic sport. Strength is almost never a limiter. What you do in the weight room will have almost no impact on your ability to drop watt bombs outside of possibly accelerations when you're still fresh.

If you want more power, you got to get specific on the bike and train to produce more power.