Do shimano bar end shifters and norma brakes use the same cable as STI?

Steve Knight

Guest
I have shimano bar ends ulterga and some shimano 600 brake elvers. do they use the same ends on the
cables and sti? I wanted to get some teflon brake and shifter housing and cables. I run a lot in the
rain and things get sluggish sometimes.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

"Steve Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have shimano bar ends ulterga and some shimano 600 brake elvers. do they
use
> the same ends on the cables and sti? I wanted to get some teflon brake and shifter housing and
> cables. I run a lot in the rain and things get
sluggish
> sometimes.
>
> --

yes.

Mike

Steve Knight wrote:

> I have shimano bar ends ulterga and some shimano 600 brake elvers. do they use the same ends on
> the cables and sti? I wanted to get some teflon brake and shifter housing and cables. I run a lot
> in the rain and things get sluggish sometimes.

The bar-ends use the same cables as STI, but not the same ends as brake cables.

>The bar-ends use the same cables as STI, but not the same ends as brake cables.

but are the brake cables the same for normal shimano brakes and sti brakes? I knw the shifter and
brake cables are different of course.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

"Steve Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >The bar-ends use the same cables as STI, but not the same ends as brake cables.
>
> but are the brake cables the same for normal shimano brakes and sti
brakes? I
> knw the shifter and brake cables are different of course.

Wassamattah? Don't read so well.

Yes!

Mike

Steve Knight wrote:

>>The bar-ends use the same cables as STI, but not the same ends as brake cables.
>

> but are the brake cables the same for normal shimano brakes and sti brakes? I knw the shifter and
> brake cables are different of course.

Yes. I was trying to cover all bases in my answer. For completeness:

All gear cables are the same. MTB brake cables are different to road brake cables.

I'm assuming modern Shimano kit here, or someone will tell me that a Raleigh Super Fogel from 1937
used square nipples on the front brake...

>Yes. I was trying to cover all bases in my answer. For completeness:

I just wanted to make sure that I did not goof up when I bought the parts. I do enough of that
without more (G)

--

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Steve Knight wrote:
>

>>> The bar-ends use the same cables as STI, but not the same ends as brake cables.
>>

>> but are the brake cables the same for normal shimano brakes and sti brakes? I knw the shifter and
>> brake cables are different of course.
>>
> Yes. I was trying to cover all bases in my answer. For completeness:
>
> All gear cables are the same. MTB brake cables are different to road brake cables.
>
> I'm assuming modern Shimano kit here, or someone will tell me that a Raleigh Super Fogel from 1937
> used square nipples on the front brake...

Gear wires are the same format but they've been getting larger. Standard Shimano type gear wires go
into Ergo levers with great difficulty and come out in pieces if at all. (We use a different wire
for Ergos than for Shimano levers, some shops sand the head smaller).

And French classic gear wires were smaller still. JAmming a modern wire into a Simplex lever will
take a good long while to remove.

Numbers-Shimano 4.5mm, Campagnolo 4.0mm, a classic Simplex wire which is still in an n.o.s. lever,
about 3.9mm

On top of that, gear wires used to be oriented the other way
- like an MTB brake wire head, only smaller diameter and much thinner . Then there are the Suntour
XPress wires , sort of the MTB brake wire head's format but a very small diameter and much wider.
Sturmey Archer and Torpedo trigger wires are a long skinny version of what you call a gear wire
and the twist-grip wire's heads from them (and from Shimano )were a lot like the Suntour XPress
head ,but smaller diameter yet.

Rule#1 : There are no rules.

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Steve Knight wrote:
>

> >>The bar-ends use the same cables as STI, but not the same ends as brake cables.
> >

> > but are the brake cables the same for normal shimano brakes and sti brakes? I knw the shifter
> > and brake cables are different of course.
> >
> Yes. I was trying to cover all bases in my answer. For completeness:
>
> All gear cables are the same. MTB brake cables are different to road brake cables.
>
> I'm assuming modern Shimano kit here, or someone will tell me that a Raleigh Super Fogel from 1937
> used square nipples on the front brake...

Dear Zog,

The earliest known model of the Super Fogel dates from 1968:

http://100megsfree4.com/honda/h0051/trail90.htm

It was red, employed leading-link suspension, and had a dual-range 4-speed automatic transmission.
Rumor had it that the beast was the result of a furtive affair between a jeep and a Vespa, but I
still miss it.

Carl Fogel