Do Shin Splints Cause or agitate Achilles tendon problems

A.r.a.k.h.N.i.d

Guest
I asked 2 weeks ago about an Achilles tendon problem and decided to wait it out for about 4 weeks,
my heels feel fine, but my shin splints are still a pain in the ass. Does that problem heal itself
after time as well as the Achilles heel? And another question, since the Achilles tendon gets messed
up because the calves muscles aren't supporting it enough, will running with shin splints "cause"
the tendon to get messed up, or do the heel and splint problems come from different sources, as in
that they do not cause each other. Because I can run and ignore the pain from shin splints, but I
really don't want to mess up tendon, because that can make a run an unbearable pain.

Thanks Again

--
Overview of Newsgroups and Binaries.... http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

"A.r.a.k.h.N.i.d.e.F" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I asked 2 weeks ago about an Achilles tendon problem and decided to wait
it
> out for about 4 weeks, my heels feel fine, but my shin splints are still a pain in the ass. Does
> that problem heal itself after time as well as the Achilles heel? And another question, since the
> Achilles tendon gets messed up because the calves muscles aren't supporting it enough, will
> running with shin splints "cause" the tendon to get messed up, or do the heel and splint problems
> come from different sources,

as in that they do not cause each other.

(Armchair reading, and experience of one)

Calf/achilles works with the shin muscles to plantarflex and dorsiflex the foot, each is the
antagonist of the other. They are quite closely "connected". To give an example: contraction of the
shin signals relaxation and elongation of the calf and vice versa. When walking with a sore shin
(tibialis) that does not contract, the calf may not relax before it takes on the load. This tighter
calf pulls harder on the achilles and gait loses fluidity. When running, you might expect loss of
absorption in your lower "suspension", loss of spring in the stride, and these problems could
migrate to the feet, knees, hips and back.

They both need strengthening in eccentric contraction, and, careful stretching to maintain range of
motion. Massage early and often to promote healing and avoid reinjury. An inserted heel lift might
offer relief. Some coaches include prevention drills for their track teams early in the season.

Spinning with good form on a bicycle for long periods, using cleats or toe clips, does a wonderful
rehab of these tissues, though you may have to stretch them out from time to time.

Do not stretch ambitiously just before a run.

Try MTSS/shin splint rehab and AT rehab to speed recovery and help prevent injury.

Ignoring sore shins can lead to stress fracture, according to many reports.

In article <[email protected]>, A.r.a.k.h.N.i.d.e.F wrote:
> I asked 2 weeks ago about an Achilles tendon problem and decided to wait it out for about 4
> weeks, my heels feel fine, but my shin splints are still a pain in the ass. Does that problem
> heal itself after time as well as the Achilles heel? And another question, since the Achilles
> tendon gets messed up because the calves muscles aren't supporting it enough, will running with
> shin splints "cause" the tendon to get messed up, or do the heel and splint problems come from
> different sources, as in that they do not cause each other. Because I can run and ignore the pain
> from shin splints, but I really don't want to mess up tendon, because that can make a run an
> unbearable pain.

Both of these injuries are caused by the same thing -- too-much-too-soon. Connective tissue adapts
very slowly, whereas other factors that contribute to performance (neuromuscular adaptions, aerobic
conditioning) can improve more rapidly. The result is that your speed quickly improves but your
tendons don't adapt. You can also get into similar trouble by ramping up milage too quickly. Again,
because the tendons are slow to adapt, they are high on the list of possible candidates for injury.

Since you've gotten two similar injuries, I'd say that a training error is almost certainly the
cause (especially if you're who I think you are).

Take a rest until it gets better and then read a book and set up a proper training program
for yourself.

Cheers,