Do some bike races use racecar tracks?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scott T. Jensen, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    race uses such race tracks, why not?

    Scott Jensen
    --
    Like a cure for A.I.D.S., Alzheimer, Parkinson, & Mad Cow Disease?
    Volunteer your computer for folding-protein research for when it's idle.

    Tags:

  2. There was a race held at the Mosport track, here in Ontario, Canada, back in April.
    The track itself is about 4km and, depending on what category you were in (Novice,
    Junior, Masters Fatty, etc.) the race consisted of doing anywhere from 4 to 33 laps.

    For more info see http://www.bikecrazie.com/mosport2004/

    J. Spaceman

    --
    My email address ([email protected]) is fake. Email sent to it will
    only get caught in my spam tarpit.

  3. laguna seca... 100k... infinion... ???... i wasnt there

    the best race at a track was the road america stage of superweek... 100
    miles... that track is a good track for a bike race... it ends up being
    very selective after 100 miles... unlike laguna seca which is hard right
    away... they havent had a race at road america for a while...

    Jason Spaceman wrote:
    > There was a race held at the Mosport track, here in Ontario, Canada, back in April.
    > The track itself is about 4km and, depending on what category you were in (Novice,
    > Junior, Masters Fatty, etc.) the race consisted of doing anywhere from 4 to 33 laps.
    >
    > For more info see http://www.bikecrazie.com/mosport2004/
    >

    > J. Spaceman
    >

    > Scott T. Jensen wrote:
    >

    >>Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    >>races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    >>race uses such race tracks, why not?
    >>
    >>Scott Jensen

  4. Wade Summers

    Wade Summers Guest

    Limerock in Lakeville CT. 1.5 mile track. Used twice this year, once as a
    stage in the Tour of Connecticut. Have to say in the rain the track was
    super slick - all the oil and rubber in the track. They also have held mtb
    races there on the grounds (fields & woods) around the track. Years ago
    there was a criterium on the Stafford Speedway, Stafford CT. Pocono in PA.
    I'm sure there are many others.

    Wade

    news:[email protected]

  5. Scott T. Jensen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    > races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    > race uses such race tracks, why not?

    IIRC, some years ago the world championships used the Zolder race track
    in Belgium. Also, didn't the Tour use a section of Spa-Francorchamps on
    some stage a year or two ago?

    I'd love to ride the old, long Nürburgring (the Nordschleife). It's
    gorgeous, twisty and hilly 23 kilometres.

    -as

  6. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "Scott T. Jensen" <[email protected]>...
    > Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    > races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    > race uses such race tracks, why not?

    Yes -- in N. California Laguna Seca (Monterey) and Infineon Raceway
    (Sears Point in Sonoma) are used.

    They are hilly, twisty road courses of about 2.5 miles per lap.

    -Ken

  7. On 8 Jul 2004 13:55:00 GMT, Antti Salonen wrote:
    > IIRC, some years ago the world championships used the Zolder race track

    Yes, 2002, Mario Cipollini.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2002/worlds02/?id=emr

    >I'd love to ride the old, long Nürburgring (the Nordschleife). It's
    >gorgeous, twisty and hilly 23 kilometres.

    World champs 1966, Rudi Altig.
    http://www.pro-steilstrecke.de/images/Programmhefte/1966_Rad.jpg

    According to Google, it is still used for cycling, nurburgring.de even
    lists record times on the bike ("Rennrad"). Big event: "Rad am Ring".
    Other event:
    http://foto.nurburgring.de/web/2003/030824_e/030824_e_101.jpg

  8. "Scott T. Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    > races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    > race uses such race tracks, why not?
    >
    > Scott Jensen

    There used to be (may still be) a weekday training race in NC
    somewhere. On the weekend, the cost of renting a track is most likely
    too great. But maybe there's track owner with a soft-heart for guys
    who shave their legs and/or women who don't shave their pits.

  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Scott T. Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    > races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    > race uses such race tracks, why not?

    A typical road races course for cars makes an excellent course for a road
    race circuit. The Tour has used them as finishing circuits before (where
    Alcala won a road stage) and so has the World's Road Race (several times).
    Actually they are perfect for an important race like the World's or Olympics
    Road RAce that must travel. Circuits races are not really popular anywhere
    though. The US likes smaller courses where the Europeans favor open roads
    that have an impressive distance apart. The US trend developed because of
    the difficulty in getting road closures (permits and security) and in
    getting the fans interested in racing by having the race swoop by every few
    minutes. At an average speed of 2 minutes per mile or less, those circuits
    are probably not at exciting to watch as you imagine although I would love
    it.

  10. "Scott T. Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    > races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    > race uses such race tracks, why not?
    >
    > Scott Jensen

    Sea Otter Classic used Laguna Seca (near Monterey, CA) track for parts
    of stages and one entire stage.

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    >races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    >race uses such race tracks, why not?

    I'm pretty sure there was a race at lime rock CT a while back. Don't
    recall any of the details.
    ------------
    Alex

  12. JRadford

    JRadford Guest

    "Scott T. Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    > races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    > race uses such race tracks, why not?
    >
    > Scott Jensen

    Races were held at the Bristol (TN) Motor Speedway back in the early to
    mid-90's. 'Not the most exciting crit in the world, as they ran on the
    apron of the track. There was nothing prohibiting running on the 36 degree
    banking, but it certainly wasn't the fast way around the course.

  13. Roger Hughes

    Roger Hughes Guest

    > Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    > races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    > race uses such race tracks, why not?

    In the UK, the 1972 World Championships used Oulton Park, Leicestershire
    (satill used for motorbike racing) as the start-finish of the circuit,
    and the 1982 ones used the old circuit at Goodwood although the finish
    was elsewhere (by the [horse] racecourse). I think that a pre-war world
    championships used the Test Hill at the old banked track at Brooklands,
    and I raced in the middle of the now derelict circuit myself in the
    1980s.

    The old motor racing circuit at Crystal Palace in London, or part of it,
    is also still much used as a crit circuit. There have also been races at
    Brands Hatch (a Formula 1 circuit until recently) and the small circuit
    at Lydden near Dover.

    And I have a feeling that tomorrow's Tour stage does a bit of the Le
    Mans circuit as it goes past as well.

    Cheers

    Roger

  14. There is a track in New Hampshire, (Loudon I think) that is used for
    training races.

    I did a stage race at the Poconos speedway in Pennsylvania once -- a
    TT and two circuit races on different variations of the same course.

    And a crit at Stafford Springs, Connecticut that Wada mentioned. It
    was scheduled for 25 miles but on the start line it was cut to 5 due
    to lightning approaching, and I think the actual event was shorter as
    they kept cutting laps.

    JT

  15. On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:40:48 -0400, Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'm pretty sure there was a race at
    > lime rock CT a while back. Don't
    >recall any of the details.

    Alex, this year they went head to head with our Harriman race.

    JT

  16. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "Scott T. Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    > races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    > race uses such race tracks, why not?

    There is an American bike race, the Sea Otter Classic, of which one stage is run
    entirely on the Laguna Seca racetrack in Monterey, California. It's 60 miles
    for the Elite Men.

    -Sonarrat.

  17. "Scott T. Jensen" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Do some bike races use asphalt race tracks used by racecars? If so, which
    > races use them and how many miles/kilometers are these races? If no bike
    > race uses such race tracks, why not?
    >
    > Scott Jensen

    http://www.portlandraceway.com/schedule.asp

    PIR WEEKLY SCHEDULE

    Monday Nights OBRA Bicycle Races
    May 3 to September 13 (Except July 19 & Sept 6)

    Tuesday Nights Logie Velo Club Bicycle Races
    April 6 to August 31 (Except July 20)

    -Gerard

  18. Mike Gladu

    Mike Gladu Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, erik saunders
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > laguna seca... 100k... infinion... ???... i wasnt there
    >
    > the best race at a track was the road america stage of superweek... 100
    > miles... that track is a good track for a bike race... it ends up being
    > very selective after 100 miles... unlike laguna seca which is hard right
    > away... they havent had a race at road america for a while...

    Their big bike thing this year is a LAF pledge ride on the course:

    Tour de Road America - http://www.tour-de-ra.org

    The Tour de Road America is a Peloton Project event benefiting the Lance
    Armstrong Foundation. America¹s premier cyclist, five-time Tour de France
    winner and cancer survivor Lance Armstrong started the LAF to support
    those living with and through cancer. We will work together with America¹s
    premier open-wheel racing series, the ChampCar World Series in a fast,
    FUNdraising effort

    Champ Car World Series drivers, their teams and cyclists will raise funds
    and awareness for the LAF in an event that takes place on America¹s
    premier road course -- Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Join us
    August 5-8, 2004 as we make a difference in cancer survivorship.

    Get a driver's eye perspective as you bicycle on the beautiful and
    challenging four-mile Road America circuit on Saturday, August 7 at 7:00
    PM.

    The Tour de Road America will feature two ride ability groups.

    Group A cyclists will average between 17 and 20 mph and may complete up to
    five laps on the track. Group A riders may also continue their ride
    outside the Road America grounds on the "historic track," the three-mile
    long circuit of country roads around Elkhart Lake. The suggested minimum
    donation to the LAF for Group A riders is $50.

    Family-friendly Group B cyclists will ride at 13 mph or less, and may
    complete up to two laps on the track. The suggested minimum donation to
    the LAF for Group B riders is $25.

    (excerpts from www.tour-de-ra.org)

    Mike Gladu, Cycling Photojournalist, Infinite HangTime Photography
    Honda '82 CB900F, '84 XR200R, '70/'71/'80/'81/'82/'83 C70 Passport
    Honda '86 VT500C, '97 Dream 50, Husqvarna '84 510TE, BMW '74 R60/5
    Passport/C70 info: http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html

  19. Mike Gladu

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > laguna seca... 100k... infinion... ???... i wasnt there
    >
    > the best race at a track was the road america stage of superweek... 100
    > miles... that track is a good track for a bike race... it ends up being
    > very selective after 100 miles... unlike laguna seca which is hard right
    > away... they havent had a race at road america for a while...

    Their big bike thing this year is a LAF pledge ride on the course:

    Tour de Road America - http://www.tour-de-ra.org

    The Tour de Road America is a Peloton Project event benefiting the Lance
    Armstrong Foundation. America¹s premier cyclist, five-time Tour de France
    winner and cancer survivor Lance Armstrong started the LAF to support
    those living with and through cancer. We will work together with America¹s
    premier open-wheel racing series, the ChampCar World Series in a fast,
    FUNdraising effort

    Champ Car World Series drivers, their teams and cyclists will raise funds
    and awareness for the LAF in an event that takes place on America¹s
    premier road course -- Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Join us
    August 5-8, 2004 as we make a difference in cancer survivorship.

    Get a driver's eye perspective as you bicycle on the beautiful and
    challenging four-mile Road America circuit on Saturday, August 7 at 7:00
    PM.

    The Tour de Road America will feature two ride ability groups.

    Group A cyclists will average between 17 and 20 mph and may complete up to
    five laps on the track. Group A riders may also continue their ride
    outside the Road America grounds on the "historic track," the three-mile
    long circuit of country roads around Elkhart Lake. The suggested minimum
    donation to the LAF for Group A riders is $50.

    Family-friendly Group B cyclists will ride at 13 mph or less, and may
    complete up to two laps on the track. The suggested minimum donation to
    the LAF for Group B riders is $25.

    (excerpts from www.tour-de-ra.org)

    Mike Gladu, Cycling Photojournalist, Infinite HangTime Photography
    Honda '82 CB900F, '84 XR200R, '70/'71/'80/'81/'82/'83 C70 Passport
    Honda '86 VT500C, '97 Dream 50, Husqvarna '84 510TE, BMW '74 R60/5
    Passport/C70 info: http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html

  20. Ryan Barrett

    Ryan Barrett Guest

    Mostly I find them to suck. They are meant for cars and cars don't
    generally corner as well as bikes. A review of those I can remember:

    Southside Speedway- RVA Training race. Good times, mostly 'cause it
    the field was mostly my junior teammates, and (big hint to anyone
    running a bike race on a car track) they ran it as a points race.

    Road America- Previously mentioned Stuporweek stage. This is the only
    one that I can think of that I've done that is conducive to a bike
    race.

    Brickyard- Indy 500 track- 4 miles around and meant for going 200 mph.
    Did a collegiate race with 50 mph winds, so you'd go 10mph one way
    and 40 the other. Good God, this sucked.

    Irwindale Speedway- Not much fun... and it's always over 100 degrees.

    We did another one in collegiate where they "made" corners by routing
    us through the infield.

    That's about it... I think some of the more "f-1 style" tracks would
    be better.