Do strictly cargo trailers need pnuematic tires?

Garrison Hillia

Guest
Can I save some costs on a homade trailer by using some of the parts from Radio Flyer wagon?

wrote:

>Can I save some costs on a homade trailer by using some of the parts from Radio Flyer wagon?

If you mean would the wheels and solid tires off one of those wagons be a good way to economize, no.
Not if you intend to actually *use* it.

Regards, Bob Hunt

"Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Can I save some costs on a homade trailer by using some of the parts from Radio Flyer wagon?

Assuming you're not just trolling, the answer is 'depends.' I wouldn't put SOLID tires on a trailer,
like some wagons have, but semi-pneumatics (like from a Navigator stroller) work well. I have a set
of 10" ones on my 4-wheel wagon right now, and they're quiet and can carry a lot of cargo. I've
towed it at up to 30 kph with no problems.

My 2 wheel home-made trailer has 2x20" front wheels on it, but as the frame is all but collapsed, I
may rebuild it with some smaller kids bike wheels, like 16" or so. If I were using it for touring,
I'd stick with 20" for reasons of availability (and I doubt I'd use a multi-wheel trailer for
touring anyway.)

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Hunrobe) writes:
>>"Garrison Hilliard" [email protected]
>
> wrote:
>
>>Can I save some costs on a homade trailer by using some of the parts from Radio Flyer wagon?
>
> If you mean would the wheels and solid tires off one of those wagons be a good way to economize,
> no. Not if you intend to actually *use* it.

For awhile now, I've had this incipient trailer design rolling around in my brain, based on the
good, ol' dependable travois.

Seems like it could provide a lot of space onto which to lash stuff. But to be bicycle-ly practical,
it would need an hinged connection, unlike its prairies forerunner. And wheels of some sort.

Anyhow, I haven't had time to figure out a design yet, but I think such a configuration could be
wonderfully useful as well as simple. Especially since it could carry much more stuff than a
RubberMaid[tm] bin such as is found on so many cargo trailers nowadays. The hunter/gatherer and
herding societies ain't so primitive, after all; they've got a lot of stuff figured out.

The loggers around here used to rig-up sleds out of forked tree segments, and called 'em
"go-devils". Those things really made the grease monkeys work.

cheers, Tom