Do the bibs sizing charts work for you?

cldpsu

Nov 2, 2003
what's up guys... i just got a pair of castelli ypro's through the mail and i almost suffocated, ha. I'm really not sure whether to get XL or XXL. According to the sizing chart, my hips fit a Small size and my waist and chest, a large. I'm really tall and have a skinny wiast but i have big quads cuz thats where it mainly feels uncomfortable. Also, i believe medium or large is suggested for my height yet the straps felt so damn tight around my shoulders, it just doesn't add up. Have any of you owned ypro's and perhaps pearl izumis and can say that european brands will generally be a size larger than some american brands like pi? Thanks guys.

cldpsu said:
what's up guys... i just got a pair of castelli ypro's through the mail and i almost suffocated, ha. I'm really not sure whether to get XL or XXL. According to the sizing chart, my hips fit a Small size and my waist and chest, a large. I'm really tall and have a skinny wiast but i have big quads cuz thats where it mainly feels uncomfortable. Also, i believe medium or large is suggested for my height yet the straps felt so damn tight around my shoulders, it just doesn't add up. Have any of you owned ypro's and perhaps pearl izumis and can say that european brands will generally be a size larger than some american brands like pi? Thanks guys.
Yeah the sizing can be tough. In general, I'd saythat you are correct. Even a fair amount of difference between some of the Euro-brands. Giordana, for instance, tends to be really small.

The following provides a comparison of some of the relative waist and chest sizings:
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/help/sizingcharts.cfm
Doesn't really help much with bib length though.

The big issue that I usually have is with jerseys as I am not terribly tall but have a chest size that's twelve->thirteen inches larger than my waist. It's tough for me to find anything besides european profit team jerseys (and I really don't like looking like a poseur) that I don't end up with anything in the rear pockets slopping around to the sides.

I have a similar problem, I'm XL across the shoulders and M across the waist. I usually buy L and live with the differences. With my last set purchased I had the waist taken in at the taylors and had the length of bib extended, but it needs to be extended even more. Next time I'll buy an XL top and get the taylor stuck into it.

It's pretty much a waste of time trying to find something that fits off the peg if you have a non standard body shape, just buy something bigger and get your taylor to fix it.

Bib sizing has more to do with height than anything else, ie; the length of your straps and inseam.

capwater said:
Bib sizing has more to do with height than anything else, ie; the length of your straps and inseam.

What do you consider to be a snug fit exactly? i know theres this big issue with too loose of a bib because it can cause chafing but i'm just not sure where to draw the line and say that's too loose

cldpsu said:
What do you consider to be a snug fit exactly? i know theres this big issue with too loose of a bib because it can cause chafing but i'm just not sure where to draw the line and say that's too loose

What are your specs? Initially you may think them too tight, but unless you are cutting off circulation, they probably are just right. My team uses Castelli's which I wear in Large even though I usually wear Medium in US sizing. I'm 5'9", 33" waist, 170lbs. As a former bodybuilder I have some decent sized shoulders and traps so the straps initially felt tight, by the next size up was too loose.

capwater said:
What are your specs? Initially you may think them too tight, but unless you are cutting off circulation, they probably are just right. My team uses Castelli's which I wear in Large even though I usually wear Medium in US sizing. I'm 5'9", 33" waist, 170lbs. As a former bodybuilder I have some decent sized shoulders and traps so the straps initially felt tight, by the next size up was too loose.

I'm 6"2, 178, 33 waist, 36 hips... i've tried Large and it was like suffocating tight.. so im not sure if XL will still be really tight and then XXL will be just fine.. i dunno why i would need so big though... its wierd, like i said earlier, the circumference of my upper leg is pretty big so they tend to suffocate me there in the smaller sizes. I think XXL might be good but i hope the straps dont feel loose

capwater said:

It also fels awkward when you raise your leg and it just feels like its impeding that movement... and when you mentioned initially.. did you just mean psychologically.. or do you find they stretch some? are you wearing ypro's?

cldpsu said:
It also fels awkward when you raise your leg and it just feels like its impeding that movement... and when you mentioned initially.. did you just mean psychologically.. or do you find they stretch some? are you wearing ypro's?

Having shorter legs (31" inseam) I tend to pull up on the leg grippers thus giving a bit more freedom in the crotch area. If the next size up feels good, but the straps are loose you can always take the in a bit via sewing. This year's kit is Castelli Kiss, but I also wear last year's Bergamo (the best ever) and the previous year's Louis Garneau. I believe the ypro is a pretty premium model bib if I recall correctly.

Best to go into shops and try for sizing or go by recommendation. I found Pearl Izumis is true to size in my case.I have bibs and shorts. Shorts are great bibs probably a bit loose but not baggy around waist could stretch. Straps could probably stretch a bit more and still be comfy.

I am 5'10 and about 84kgs(184lbs) now. I used to do alot of bodybuilding/weight training. Im about a 33 waist about a 42-44chest. and same like a L or XL top (big shoulders and chest)most jerseys are loose around waist :(.

too the point I wear a PI medium shorts fit perfect and true to size for me. no movement in chamois. PI were a bit tight in the quads a while back but I dropped the weight training a bit on legs.

Being 6'2" might get a big of stretch upwards but in the PI you could probably be L. Euro sizes are all different. :confused:

cldpsu said:

Another thing to remember is that they are cut to be comfortabloe on the bike not standing up. So hunch down in them like you on the bike and see if that helps. I have taken to Assos shorts and since finding the right size in them and finding them supremely comfortable on the bike i doubt if I will change brands ever. :D