Do they cancel a Duathlon if it rains?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Rivermist, May 15, 2003.

  1. Rivermist

    Rivermist Guest

    I am running the Callaway Gardens duathlon May 18th. It looks like it might rain.

    Do they cancel or delay an event if it rains or do they go ahead?

    Tags:

  2. Rivermist wrote:
    > I am running the Callaway Gardens duathlon May 18th. It looks like it might rain.
    >
    > Do they cancel or delay an event if it rains or do they go ahead?

    Not hardly. We might take a look at conditions on a MTB off-road du on the day....but by and large
    get on with it. (Worlds was run off in torrential rain in Alpharetta last year...) STF

  3. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Rivermist wrote:
    > > I am running the Callaway Gardens duathlon May 18th. It looks like it might rain.
    > >
    > > Do they cancel or delay an event if it rains or do they go ahead?
    >
    > Not hardly. We might take a look at conditions on a MTB off-road du on the day....but by and large
    > get on with it. (Worlds was run off in torrential rain in Alpharetta last year...)

    Although I think they'd have to wait if there were thunderstorms. Speaking of which, what do they do
    if t-storms roll in during the middle of an Ironman race?

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  4. Joel Rose

    Joel Rose Guest

    This past weekend 576 competitors and myself competed in the first du of the year of the Subaru
    Series here in S.Ontario and leading up to the race, it rained all morning. But the race went on and
    it continued to rain throughout the event. Be ready to race. Lightning will probably stall or cancel
    the event, but usually rain will not be a factor.

    BTW, I improved my bike portion by almost 7 minutes over the same course as last year:) I'd say my
    fitness has improved, but riding a new Colnago doesn't hurt!

    news:[email protected]...

  5. Harold Buck wrote:

    > Although I think they'd have to wait if there were thunderstorms. Speaking of which, what do they
    > do if t-storms roll in during the middle of an Ironman race?

    Thunder and lightning at that ITU race. The organizers were worried but local experts told them not
    to worry it would blow over so they started on time. The first run was virtually underwater. I have
    a pic of Benny V not looking hugely happy in the rain. STF

  6. Rivermist

    Rivermist Guest

    I would think that riding in the rain would slow you down !

    "Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > This past weekend 576 competitors and myself competed in the first du of
    the
    > year of the Subaru Series here in S.Ontario and leading up to the race, it rained all morning. But
    > the race went on and it continued to rain
    throughout
    > the event. Be ready to race. Lightning will probably stall or cancel the event, but usually rain
    > will not be a factor.
    >
    > BTW, I improved my bike portion by almost 7 minutes over the same course
    as
    > last year:) I'd say my fitness has improved, but riding a new Colnago doesn't hurt!
    >
    > Good luck, JR "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

    > might

    > > > Not hardly. We might take a look at conditions on a MTB off-road du on the day....but by and
    > > > large get on with it. (Worlds was run off in torrential rain in Alpharetta last year...)
    > >

    > > Although I think they'd have to wait if there were thunderstorms. Speaking of which, what do
    > > they do if t-storms roll in during the middle of an Ironman race?
    > >
    > > --Harold Buck
    > >

    > > "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
    > >
    > > - Homer J. Simpson

  7. Lightning gives you life giving power! Just think of Dr. Frankenstein's beast and how lightning
    literally brought him to life.

    Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Harold Buck wrote:
    >
    > > Although I think they'd have to wait if there were thunderstorms. Speaking of which, what do
    > > they do if t-storms roll in during the middle of an Ironman race?
    >
    > Thunder and lightning at that ITU race. The organizers were worried but local experts told them
    > not to worry it would blow over so they started on time. The first run was virtually underwater. I
    > have a pic of Benny V not looking hugely happy in the rain. STF

  8. Vincent Chan

    Vincent Chan Guest

    > (Worlds was run off in torrential rain in Alpharetta last year...)

    Hardly... It was mostly a light sprinkle, and it even cleared up for some sun during the last race
    on the last day. Indeed, we did get some rain, but it wasn't that bad. The rain out here in
    Alpharetta these past two weeks has been horrible. (However, I think riding in it would be an
    experience.)

    --Vincent

  9. Trihard

    Trihard Guest

    It did just that in the middle of IMC last summer, but the show went on.........my friend was riding
    up to yellow lake at that point, and reported that there were still spectators out of their cars,
    cheering in the downpour!

  10. Vincent Chan wrote:

    > > (Worlds was run off in torrential rain in Alpharetta last year...)
    >
    > Hardly... It was mostly a light sprinkle, and it even cleared up for some sun during the last race
    > on the last day. Indeed, we did get some rain, but

    Either this is local "understatement" or we were watching different races. It might have been a
    light sprinkle for the elite women's race, but defintely heavy rain for the men's elite race right
    through the first run and bike legs. Very slick roads. STF

  11. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "trihard"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It did just that in the middle of IMC last summer, but the show went on.........my friend was
    > riding up to yellow lake at that point, and reported that there were still spectators out of their
    > cars, cheering in the downpour!

    But what about thunderstorms? I would think it would be a huge liability issue to allow the race
    to continue.

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  12. The final decision we made to continue was not base on the rain itself but on going 15 minutes
    without a lightning strike after talking to the local weather authorities who assured us that the
    bad weather was blowing over. And I would rate it as a downpour before, and at the start of the mens
    elite race.

    JJ