Do U Get Sick Of It?

macca1234

Aug 9, 2005
are there ever times when you just want to be magic ang go home in youre comfy bed half way through youre ride? i know i do. i made a wrist band with my family emblem and bought a lance armstrong livestrong band to keep me going.;)

but cycling isnt always fun. lets face it we work really hard!!!

i ride about 50-100 km's a day and my rest days are usually spent playing another sport like cricket or soccer. sometimes it gets hard but without fail I follow whatever i have written in my training diary.

yawn...am i alone?....i love cycling! i dream every night of being a professional triathlete/ cyclist or tour de france winner! but sometimes...yawn...you get tired.

gotta go to pool at 6:00 tommorow morn and i need my sleep.

any motivation ideas for me or anyone else would be much appreciated.:eek:

macca1234 said:
are there ever times when you just want to be magic ang go home in youre comfy bed half way through youre ride? i know i do. i made a wrist band with my family emblem and bought a lance armstrong livestrong band to keep me going.;)

i ride about 50-100 km's a day and my rest days are usually spent playing another sport like cricket or soccer. sometimes it gets hard but without fail I follow whatever i have written in my training diary.

yawn...am i alone?....i love cycling! i dream every night of being a professional triathlete/ cyclist or tour de france winner! but sometimes...yawn...you get tired.

Yep, I have days when it is just too hot or I just burn out and dread the ride back home.
It is all uphill unfortunately.
I have found that if I feel absolutely like **** and ride anyway then I am motivated to go when I feel good.
I always think back to the bad day and think ,if I can ride feeling like that I can ride anytime.
It also helps to have a partner or two to ride with, especially if one one them is an obsessive maniac and is always proding you to do better and will kill themselves on a bike to out do you.

Actually, my problem is that some days I just don't feel like starting. I think of all kinds of reasons not to go out for a ride. But once I get the first 4 or 5 miles under my belt, I'm usually fine.

wineandkeyz said:
Actually, my problem is that some days I just don't feel like starting. I think of all kinds of reasons not to go out for a ride. But once I get the first 4 or 5 miles under my belt, I'm usually fine.

I always feel that way. New equipment helps but it gets expensive buying all time just to be motivated.
Not that new stuff make you better but at least you are more enthused until the newness wears off.
I should be geeting my Fondriest frame today that should keep me motivated for a week or so.
wineandkeyz: Do you ever ride 441 to Newfound Gap in the Smokies?

jhuskey said:
wineandkeyz said:
I always feel that way. New equipment helps but it gets expensive buying all time just to be motivated.
Not that new stuff make you better but at least you are more enthused until the newness wears off.
I should be geeting my Fondriest frame today that should keep me motivated for a week or so.
Exactly the same with me. I`m totally without motivation now at the end of the season when it`s becoming colder. Even better results last time don`t help. But I still have to train a lot all October because I`m still a rookie.
Yes, new equipment motivates me too amd if I train with someone, then I don`t have any problems. So..find someone to train with if you`re not motivated enough to go out alone.

jhuskey said:

:D Yep, going out with new equipment can be a motivator -- but it gets danged expensive!

I'm out in the Chapel Hill/Durham area, so I haven't ridden that route... yet! The closest I've gotten is a couple rides I did last summer in the Asheville area.

Virenque said:
Yes, new equipment motivates me too amd if I train with someone, then I don`t have any problems. So..find someone to train with if you`re not motivated enough to go out alone.
Good advice. So far, I've always been able to convince myself to get out there. Usually, I just think about how ****** I'll be at myself later if I don't go.

wineandkeyz said:
:D Yep, going out with new equipment can be a motivator -- but it gets danged expensive!

I'm out in the Chapel Hill/Durham area, so I haven't ridden that route... yet! The closest I've gotten is a couple rides I did last summer in the Asheville area.

This is a good time of year for it. The temperature and the traffic are good this time of the year.
Not sure what the climb is like from Asheville but it is a good one from Gatlinburg. It would be interesting to do the whole mountain up one side and down the other and back. Talk about some verticle.

wineandkeyz said:
Good advice. So far, I've always been able to convince myself to get out there. Usually, I just think about how ****** I'll be at myself later if I don't go.
Yes. I`m very ****** as well. It`s all about the start. When you start, it`s OK, but you just have to do it.:)

jhuskey said:
This is a good time of year for it. The temperature and the traffic are good this time of the year.
Not sure what the climb is like from Asheville but it is a good one from Gatlinburg. It would be interesting to do the whole mountain up one side and down the other and back. Talk about some verticle.

Have you done that ride? I'm thinking from Cherokee, NC, to Gatlinburg and back would be MORE than plenty for me... 35 miles each way...

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...&1z=&2ahXX=&2y=US&2a=&2c=gatlinburg&2s=tn&2z=

Rt. 441 looks like a can of worms! :eek: :cool:

jhuskey said:
No I have never done the whole thing but I am thinking it would be about 11000-12000 feet of climbing in the 70 miles, maybe more.
Wow! I don't know if I'm ready for that! But I'd love to give it a shot sometime.
I just realized I'm on the racing forum. Do you race?

wineandkeyz said:
Wow! I don't know if I'm ready for that! But I'd love to give it a shot sometime.
I just realized I'm on the racing forum. Do you race?

Not really at present. You might say I am past prime racing age and there is not many events in this area. The last ride ,not really a sancioned race, was this summer and was 110 miles with 9500 feet of climb which went up English Mountain about 4500 feet elevation.
I have a friend from Switzerland that trains here and races in Switzerland when he is there. Then again he is 10 years my senior.
He will be back in Oct. They have a lot of bike racing there.

I would recommend trying to ride a portion of the Smokies 441 and see how you do. You can always turn around and go back down.The traffic of course will be too heavy next month due to the "leaf counters"

Gday Macca

I ride about the same distances 50-100km/day sometimes up to 200km on Sunday, club racing on Saturday which I attend without fail and contribute to some of the organising with my club. I like competing in larger district and national events as well.
I don't get sick of cycling. I get sick of other commitments interfering with my sport and interupting training.
The biggest problem with cycling is time.
Alot of the time I'm riding around in the cold or in the dark, if I don't knock off till 4 o'clock.
I start work early, so to do a 2hr training session, I'm riding around at 3- 4 o'clock in the morning.
The ideal day for me is to start work at 6 o'clock, knock off at 11 or 12, do a 2 - 3 hour ride then start work again and knock off late in the early evening, whenever I feel.
Being self employed means that sometimes my ideal day is fulfiled. :)
To get to the point, I find cycling is alot less of a 'chore' when I train in comfortable hours of the day and don't have to worry about getting dark, worry about traffic, trying to not freeze to death or feel guilty because I should be spending the time doing something for somebody else.
I usually use the big races and events to summon some acceptance for my 'work hour' training sessions give some meaning to it all.
This is a great sport, I've done lots of different sports and this is the best one IMO.

Cheers

macca1234 said:

Rest days are essential for recovery after hard exercise, otherwise the work is wasted or even harmful. So rest when you need to and don't feel guilty about it. And right, make sure you are getting enough sleep.
Your motivation when 20 miles from home is to get home, keep the pedals turning and it will happen. And remember, all that exercise IS STOPPING YOU GETTING FAT! Something you feel quite strongly about, I believe.
Best of luck in your ambition to be a professional.

I always look at it this way. The longer I wait to get on the bike in the evening, the later it gets. I hate the trainer, so getting on earlier means I don't have to "get on" inside on that stupid thing. And you guys from NC and TN...Coming to Six Gap? Not that you'll see me out of the 2000+ people, but I'll be wearing a Habersham Bicycles Jersey. I'm going for the "win" out of my group. I've been hill training quite a bit lately, riding around 150-200 miles a week. Hopefully I won't cramp too too bad :rolleyes:

lol, yeah i try to rest on my rest days but im quite busy so usually my rest days are filled with some other form of exercise. yeah dont wanna get fat! he he he:D

not much chance of that seeing as though i ride 300-400 km's a week.

macca1234 said:
lol, yeah i try to rest on my rest days but im quite busy so usually my rest days are filled with some other form of exercise. yeah dont wanna get fat! he he he:D

not much chance of that seeing as though i ride 300-400 km's a week.
Macca, are you training with other riders? As has already been stated, that's the best for maintaining the motivation. You get to push each other (effort-wise) and it forces you to turn up. How are you doing in your racing so far? If you're doing 3-400km / week and doing other sports, you may be spreading yourself a bit thin on the ground. Are you getting any coaching assistance?

There has been a few times when i have ridden out onto the hills and after a few hours i begin to feel fatigued. The ride back home is just a chore but in a way i like it. I put the head down and count off the miles one by one.

Getting up in the morning is easy for me, i am up at 5:30am most days. Getting my kit on and out of the door on a rainy morning is another story. I have old tapes of tdf that i stick on just to get me into the cycling state of mind. After that, i am set to go.

I need to buy a new bike, i am sure that when i have it i will be more motivated.