Do u guys train on your own or with someone?

Discussion in 'Next Generation' started by vin_18, Sep 17, 2004.

1. vin_18

vin_18 New Member

For me I like to train on my own so I can ride at my own speed and time. Also I like to be in deep concentration to be focused on climbing steep hills.

Tags:

2. fiscem4

fiscem4 New Member

I train in both situations. It is good to train on your own because I feel that it prepares you mentally to be self-sufficient during a race. I also train with several groups because everyone trains harder and smarter when other people are around. They can help you keep pace up climbs, get used to the feeling of being in a peleton, and give you somebody to talk to on those long endurance rides.

3. Virenque

Virenque New Member

When I ride alone I feel that training is more effective, but it can be very boring to be out alone for 4 or more hours! So Im very happy if I have company on trainings! Its better because average speed is higher, we are changing in wind and in climbs we are making tempo to each other! If you are alone you cant push so hard as if you are in company! But of course they must be at least as good as you are..

But most of time, I ride alone!

4. *Alice

*Alice New Member

i ride on my own and i like it that way.
    It's my time for myself.
    also..
    I'm very new to cycling. I started about a week ago. So I'm a real slow poke.

5. gould86

gould86 New Member

I train on my own, i have nobody else to ride with:'(

6. akamrkent

akamrkent New Member

Train on my own. Each of my training rides has different objectives which are tough to accomplish when riding with a group. I do like to ride with groups, however, am at their mercy which takes me away from my training program so I try and limit my group riding.

7. wardie2000

wardie2000 New Member

I train on my own during the week in winter time and have a group ride on the weekend.
    During the season have 1 TT per week and race on the weekends. So just keep the fitness up during the weeks on my own.

I go to the south of france 3 times a year to top-up the endurance and climbing technique.

As has been mentioned riding on your own has huge benefits as you do what you want to do. But long rides do get boring on your own, just solitary riding for 5+ hours!

8. ganderctr

ganderctr New Member

I usually ride by myself but enjoy company whenever I get it so I can practice sitting on someone's wheel. The social aspect is nice too, though I never get bored on training rides, as there is always something to see.

9. toa

toa New Member

From April to October I'm racing most every weekend, so I've got absolute no need of spending more time in a pack getting hustled and bustled. In the wintermonths I spend lots of time indoors in spin-classes etc, plenty of time for socializing and watching other people suffer!
    So the rest of time on the road, for me anyway, is some much needed time of solitude and serenity just keeping my head straight!

As for training harder in a group, well I've got my trusty SRM it's always there to tell me when I'm slacking or hitting it too hard ( not that often though :rolleyes: )

That said, I usually inviting coworkers/friends to go riding with me on fridays (my recoverymiles day), just for kicks, its always good clean fun!
    We've got two semi-pro's at my compagny, that one day saw my TREK 5200 and SRM setup, and instantly wanted me to go riding with them: "Hey we just ride and do some intervals and sh#t"....right..perhaps next season guys..*gylp*. So there actually is such a thing, as getting too much pro look-a-like gear :D

10. Hooben

Hooben New Member

You absolutely have to ride at least once a week with people that are a little better than you. By that I mean faster, leaner and smarter. They will hopefully take you in, and you will learn a lot. Try not to be the one in the group who is leading and knows the most. It is also important to run the bike all alone, so you wont depend on drafting to keep your average speeds high.

11. Lifelover2.0

Lifelover2.0 New Member

I feel that riding with someone speeds you up and almost gives you some competition. The faster the biking the better the biking:)

12. Bluey_27

Bluey_27 New Member

Going in a bunch make the kms go by quicker....before you know it you've ridden 120km and your stuffed. I ride on my own on weekdays and with a bunch on weekends (unless im racing)

13. mtnrider

mtnrider New Member

I train on my own, but like to train wioth others that are just a little better than I am so that I work harder, but if they are too much better I don't like to ride with them because i hate to make them wait.