do u think 30 minutes of cycling is too little?

worldgod

Dec 20, 2003
hello all: do u guys think that 30 minutes of bikeriding at a moderate steady speed is too little for a workout? Or should i ride 60 minutes a day to get a complete calorie-burning work out? I ask this because i am not sure, because it seems that 60 minutes of cycling is great, burns about 600 calories but exhausts me too much and lowers my blood sugar.

So do u guys think that 25 to 30 minutes a day would be enough? (I also follow a low calorie diet to lose weight) (what a kicker !! haha)

:)

thanx

worldgod

Originally posted by worldgod
hello all: do u guys think that 30 minutes of bikeriding at a moderate steady speed is too little for a workout? Or should i ride 60 minutes a day to get a complete calorie-burning work out? I ask this because i am not sure, because it seems that 60 minutes of cycling is great, burns about 600 calories but exhausts me too much and lowers my blood sugar.

So do u guys think that 25 to 30 minutes a day would be enough? (I also follow a low calorie diet to lose weight) (what a kicker !! haha)

thanx

worldgod

it depends on your goals. you said you're trying to lose weight so more calories burned will be more weight loss. if 60 min = 600 calories then 30=300 calories.

personally, i think 60 minutes will be better by giving your muscles a better workout. your low calorie diet may be contributing to your exhaustion after only 1 hr. maybe a sports drink when your riding?

because it seems that 60 minutes of cycling is great, burns about 600 calories but exhausts me too much and lowers my blood sugar.
eat more before you go. I ride almost two hours a day back and forth to work. I can eat a fair amount of food and still loose. so if your lacking energy eat more. protien powder really helps me.

30 minutes good. 60minutes, better. 90 minutes, even better. But 30 minutes still better than nothing!

My advice would be to try to have a reason to go riding other than just losing weight/excercising. Do errands, commute, go places you needed to go anyway, etc.

Otherwise it's like going to the gym. Unless you're really fanatical, you're very unlikely to keep it up more than 2 months.

Just MHO...

Edited to add that one of the great things about purpose-oriented cycling is that there are distractions from just focusing on how much energy you're exerting, how time you're spending, speeds attained and calories burned.

SAra

Yeah i agree with u, 30 minutes of bikeriding is good for maintannce of body weight but to lose weight i would have to bikeride more. I was wondering if it was ok if i ride like twice a day? say 20 minutes in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon? or is this too much?

worldgod

worldgod

hey by the way this is my diet:

Morning: coffee, coffee + cream
12:noon 0.1 Levothyroxine
Lunch: 1 cup of rice, 8 oz of baked-chicken, green vegetables, with carrobs, cabbage, petis-pois, corn

Mid-afternoon: 1/2 cup of low-carb milk, Nestle classic coffee, fat-free creamer

6:00 PM 50 to 60 minutes of stationary-cycling (days i feel less energized i do 50)

Dinner: 6 tablespoons cream of wheat, 2 cups of milk diet-sugar

Note: if i feel hungry again after dinner i would drink hot chocolate or coffee and milk

thanx

worldgod

30 mins per day is better than doing nothing per day.

However if you can manage to increase the time that you spend each day on the bike you will see your weight go down and your
body will gradually become more used to the extra workload, thus you won't feel drained if you do, say, a 60 minute session.

I'd suggest that you make sure that you're well fuelled before
starting a session (you should have eaten within two hours prior to starting a training session) and you should make sure that you drink plenty of fluids during a session (even if you don't feel thirsty, I suggest that you should drink every, say, 10 Kms).
Also try to eat during a session longer than 1.5 hrs (bananas,
slice of fruit cake are good sources of fuel).

It's important to remember that training should leave you tired, but not exhausted.
So, moderate your sessions in line with how your body feels.
When you begin to find that you have more energy left at the end
of your training sessions, it's time to increase the length and intensity of your training.

Hardly seems worth it. By the time you put o your shorts, jersey, shoes and helmet... Need to ride at least 45 k to make up for the time. then you have to add the time to shower afterwards.

No 30 minutes is not enough

Originally posted by ewitz
Hardly seems worth it. By the time you put o your shorts, jersey, shoes and helmet... Need to ride at least 45 k to make up for the time. then you have to add the time to shower afterwards.

No 30 minutes is not enough
it is time consuming for sure. hell I am about 238 right now and I ride 20 miles a day five days a week. I would do more but I just won't go on a ride jsut to ride I have to have a place to go.

Thirty minutes is good but you're probably barely getting into the zone before you're off the bike again. An extra 30 minutes would likely result in more than twice the results if you can do it without bonking (burning all of your blood sugar).

You might try carrying some energy gels, (i.e. Power-Gel, Gu, Clif Shot, Carb Boom, etc.) They can help keep you from hitting your limit as quickly.

I figure anything less than an hour is hardly worth the time I spend preparing my bike for the ride, getting dressed, zeroing my heart-rate monitor, Flight Deck, etc. Better riders probably figure an hour isn't worth their time.

It really depends on what you're trying to do. Do you just want to lose weight or are you looking to be a better rider or both?

Do your self a favor, buy an inexpesive heart rate monitor. If you're tring to lose weight I agree with what most people have said so far. 30 minutes is o.k., 45 minutes is better and an hour is great. Check out bicycling.com they have a section that will tell you how much calories you actually burn during your ride. Finally remember if you're tring to lose weight watch what you eat that is very important. Need more suggestions just email me.

Originally posted by Beastt
Thirty minutes is good but you're probably barely getting into the zone before you're off the bike again. An extra 30 minutes would likely result in more than twice the results if you can do it without bonking (burning all of your blood sugar).

You might try carrying some energy gels, (i.e. Power-Gel, Gu, Clif Shot, Carb Boom, etc.) They can help keep you from hitting your limit as quickly.

I figure anything less than an hour is hardly worth the time I spend preparing my bike for the ride, getting dressed, zeroing my heart-rate monitor, Flight Deck, etc. Better riders probably figure an hour isn't worth their time.

It really depends on what you're trying to do. Do you just want to lose weight or are you looking to be a better rider or both?

I totally agree with these suggestions

It´s also supposed to be fun so don´t work too hard , get a Heart Rate Monitor ( HRM ) and use it to control your work rate , you should not need food drinks for an hour of gentle riding .
Low pulse rate means you burn fat , high means you burn sugar and that may be why your pooped after such a short time : low blood sugar .
Have fun , make friends and try to ride with someone of your abilities ; nothing worse that fighting to keep up .
30 min on a cycle trainer is fine but on the road abit more is better but DON´T OVERDO IT .
best wishes .

Originally posted by el Inglés
It´s also supposed to be fun so don´t work too hard , get a Heart Rate Monitor ( HRM ) and use it to control your work rate , you should not need food drinks for an hour of gentle riding .
Low pulse rate means you burn fat , high means you burn sugar and that may be why your pooped after such a short time : low blood sugar .
Have fun , make friends and try to ride with someone of your abilities ; nothing worse that fighting to keep up .
30 min on a cycle trainer is fine but on the road abit more is better but DON´T OVERDO IT .
best wishes .

Some studies have been done that showed that a low intensity work-out burns almost as many calories as a high-intensity work-out. So, for a while, the common knowledge was that to lose weight, low-intensity was nearly as good and was easier to do.

More recent studies have shown that during the period of exercise, the calories burned are nearly the same. The difference is that your body will continue to burn calories at an increased rate for 30 minutes or more after a high-intensity work-out. The same is not true of low-intensity. While I agree completely that it has to be fun, if your goal is to burn calories, it doesn't hurt to push yourself once in a while.

For me, that's the fun. I ride by and for the numbers. Every ride is logged and part of the fun is in comparing the numbers from one ride against those from another ride on the same route. That's me. I know several people who feel that would take all the fun out of riding for them. Since I ride alone most of the time it helps me to not get bored.

;)

Originally posted by Beastt
Some studies have been done that showed that a low intensity work-out burns almost as many calories as a high-intensity work-out. So, for a while, the common knowledge was that to lose weight, low-intensity was nearly as good and was easier to do.

More recent studies have shown that during the period of exercise, the calories burned are nearly the same. The difference is that your body will continue to burn calories at an increased rate for 30 minutes or more after a high-intensity work-out. The same is not true of low-intensity. While I agree completely that it has to be fun, if your goal is to burn calories, it doesn't hurt to push yourself once in a while.

For me, that's the fun. I ride by and for the numbers. Every ride is logged and part of the fun is in comparing the numbers from one ride against those from another ride on the same route. That's me. I know several people who feel that would take all the fun out of riding for them. Since I ride alone most of the time it helps me to not get bored.

;)

Me to , and it helps to know what layers of cloths you need for each weather condition / temperature .
But if the guy´s pooped after 30 mins he´s working too hard too soon , chillout and ride to YOUR limits , not mine not anybodies and as you can do more or do it harder .
I see so often people come charging past me at the bottom of the climb and then grind to a halt half way up , the trick is in pacing yourself , but that takes time to learn - so use a HRM and enjoy not suffer , it´s a sport after all not a diet ( but can work a lot better AND spice up the old love life : fit = horny )

12:noon 0.1 Levothyroxine
[/B]

Just a quick note... as someone that takes levoxyl (levothyroxine) on a daily basis, it sounds like you need to have your TSH level checked by your doctor (if you're taking it as medication and not as part of some silly diet); if you're always feeling without energy or rundown you meds most likely need to be boosted.

I'd also suggest taking your levoxyl when you roll out of bed in the morning; it gives you a lot more flexibility with your meal schedules...

When I hike a lot I tend to hit a wall after the first couple miles; as someone else suggested, carry a sports drink like Gatorade and maybe a granola bar for a boost during your ride. Having a low blood sugar level is NOT a good thing when exercising, regardless of whether you're losing weight or not! :)

on the topic of time, I don't think a 30 minute ride is long enough. I'm over 50 and have been riding less than a year. My wife is nearly the same age and rode less than me. We both are of the same mind that our ride is only good enough if we do 20 miles (about an hour and 45 minutes at a moderate rate). If we do a ten mile ride we do it at a higher intensity.

We have a wonderful paved bicycle trail close to us, 30 miles long. We access the trail about the 10 mile marker so our choice is to go left or right. Either way is a nice ride.

We ride to increase our health. It's not just work for if it was, we would not do it. Biking is also fun for us and the improvement we accomplish encourages us to keep on riding.